• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What's the deepest dive you've done???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi everyone. This has been a couple of interesting discussions about safety and mixing sport etc... I would like to finish this thread by saying that I hope we can all go away from here with no hard feelings between us fellow spearos. Hope you all agree.

Till the next thread and thank you for your opinions, comments and stories. Cheers to all. Mozzie ;-)

Reactions: Mr. X
I just started spearfishing recently, and I self taught myself freediving and spearfishing. My usual dive time is about 1:15 min and average depth is 14-18 meters around the reef. However, my deepest dive was 22 meters and I didn't know how deep it was until I was on the surface :D

this is not freediving competition my friend we do hunting spearfishing in uk to shoot fish you don't have to dive deep. i diving between 5 and 15 m or ones I did
over 20 metres. but the biggest fish i speared in the 2m.(in Uk)
i think is all about time and tides and loads stuff we have to learn.
i think if you wanna get deep spearing you need definitely buddy who dive deep as you and is more safety - one going down another guy waiting for.
if is not too deep you can stay underwater longer and is safer ???;)

. if you're underwater longer maybe your the bigest fish comes to you:D
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: MozSpearer
Tides and weather and stuff like that is definetly more important than depth. The shallower you dive the longer you can stay and then the big ones come along. And that is what it's all about actually. Of course if you have no access to shallow reefs that's a whole different ball game... Cheers guys. ;-)

Reactions: Bourini
I just done my AIDA2** 3:42 static 16.5 dive
Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk
Whoah! Thats good man! Well done. When I have the chance I'll definetly do a freediving course as well! ;-)

I have known too many young keen spearo's that are no longer with us because they were too concerned about depth & times instead of their fishing skills. This is the spearo's section, not the apnea forum if I'm correct? (I stay out of there) Trust me, all the depth that you will need to get fish will come as you practice your fishing skills, not the other way around. Sorry to cast a shadow over this subject for all you good keen spearo's, but fishing skills are more important than how deep you can dive. Depth will come naturally & will also vary from day to day depending on your health & attitude. In my own circle its considered bad form or etiquette to openly discuss depth or times, particularly to inexperienced or impressionable divers. Spearo's chase fish, not depth or the stopwatch, IMO some of the greatest fish ever landed have been taken in very shallow water.

Safe Fishing!

Cheers Sharkey
I hear what you re saying, and it is certainly true that one can catch a lot of fish staying shallow .
But it seems to me that all the spearfishing fatalities occur because it is still the norm for a lot of spearos to dive alone, not because people are chasing personal records. Staying shallow but being alone can give a false sense of security.
It's perfectly fine to work on your depth and/or bottom time while spearfisning, as long as the water is clear and there is a qualified safety diver watching for you.
I would also recommend beginners to take freediving courses to learn more about freediving theory, about safety ,rescue etc ,and also to perfect their streamling/finning technique etc

Reactions: Kars
I know that I can dive 20m because the line attached to the buoy has that lenght.
But at 20 m I have only 30 second of fishing, and that is too short.
I am fighting gravity for more than 25 years (by climbing) or embracing it (by skiing).
Now I love to be neutral by spearfishing.

I'm new to the sport of spearfishing, though already have a wealth of in water experience to guide me in making good decisions.

I will spearfish solo at times which is less than ideal, but it's an "acceptable risk" I am willing to take, simply due to logistics.

As such I'm conservative in my approach, am in no hurry to advance and nothing to prove...

Im more interested in enjoying myself and sustainably harvesting protein.

I can dive much deeper than I do and am reasonably comfortable in the 10-12m range and super comfortable at 5-8m where I can cover a fair distance, with a reasonable BT.

Best dive so far... 3m in a fish rich area having lots of fun [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, my deepest dive was 36m aproximately because it was measured still with a analogous depthmeter.

Best wishes, Pero Curcic

24m deep (hav not really pushed it, sonce I don't have a good bud watching over me) and just under 70m dynamic no fins in the pool. I stink at static though, 2.45min.
I blame 23yrs of heavy smoking this and that. It's been some years since I quit all that but I guess my lungs are not in stellar condition just yet.

Reactions: Pero Curcic
Twentythree years of havy smoking ha?! Hugh, thats realy dangerous life you have there! Not because of the blood
gases but because of the elasticity of your lungvasculature and the possibility of a lungsqueeze injury. Best wishes ;)

Well, I don't aspire on going squeeze-deep. Would be nice to be able going about 35mtrs with a good bottom time, but that's utopia for me since I live a life in a place where I have 0 possibility to practice serious depth diving. I'm quite happy as is, wouldn't mind better bottom time but in all honest I'm too old to bother about anything else than pleasure and that I get from diving, regardless of depth. :)

Last edited:
Hm Hm Hm, interesting point you mention. I was raised by several fisherman, several of them were deep divers, who
didn´t see freediving more as a way of life. Often the ways in life are not pleasurable at all but the point is if it is
selfimposed or somebody else is torturing you and your body. So for example I regularly walk into the forrest (mountains) in order to excape the bad air of the city Zagreb. @lungsqeeze i was experiencing that in my teenage time especially after long winterpauses. Negative dives in swimmingpools can train the mamalianreflex in order to make you
prone to deep diving, so the theory. I prefere regular swimming.

Sorry, they DID see freediving as a way of life and not as a pleasure. Similar to the ama divers in south korea!

Sorry but what do you mean by "negative dives"? Exhaled dives?

I know pool training could get me deeper, but I don't enjoy it enough and have too little time (running 2 businesses) to hope for any serious progress. I do progress each time I get to do proper dives, but I try not to get to serious about it since I really miss diving when back home. :)

When you don't have the possibility to do something as much as you'd wish you gotta be a little casual about it and not think about it all the time, otherwise you go crazy.

Yes, you can describe it also as exhaled dives. Tvo biznis ha?! And you still have such a smile as at the photo?
All together makes no sense when smoking. Diving and every sportaction is only possible with serius food and abstinence of other noxes. Running, that showes Stefano Bellani very nicely in his video on YouTube is a good exercize for freediving and spearfishing but swimming in the pool brings you in the
weightless position. All those who go to the bodybuildinggyms are totaly on the wrong way. There you can only learn missbehavior by inhaling the smell of mixed doses and presumably some hormonal disbalances.

Best wishes for your two businesses and deep freediving,
Pero Curcic

Smoking and freediving, I quit smoking over four years ago and can definitely tell the difference in lung capacity and my bodies performance in all my physical activities, however, whilst never wishing to encourage smoking as I feel it brings nothing other than bad health and a smaller bank balance, has anyone seen the programme, I think it may have been Human planet, were the bloke that dives with primitive equipment and out dives most of us just so happens to smoke like a chimney............ go figure :D

I quit smoking 2012. Laid the ciggs down and have not touched one since. I too can feel a big difference, but I still do feel a limitation of my lung / respiratory capacity after so many years inhaling smoke.

On hard / full exhale I get a tickeling feeling in my throat and start coughing. On packing too hard, the same.

Anyhow, I can't blame anyone else for my state, and I'm doing pretty good for myself, so... I'm pretty happy with getting to 24m and advancing. Longer bottom time is more important to me than greater depth.

I'm trying to be healthy and do right, but you gotta enjoy life too.. atleast I don't smoke and do drugs! ;)

I quit smoking 2012.
Me too, but for only 6 months and I do much better. Now I dive 25 to 30m (but only occasionally).
Anyhow, these are med barracudas in 1m of water. But doesn't mean that I can start to smoke again! :)

19244288_1433954716627182_183892223_n.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X and SubSub
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT