• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

whey protein powder

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Let's keep the discussion friendly. A little tact and diplomacy should help stop things escalating. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Perhaps we could all be a little less emphatic and, given the nature of this discussion, perhaps assertions should be backed up by some references.

you can get soy, but it's pretty horrible!
They used to say 40% of US soy is GM modified - which may or may not be an issue for you. Not sure if the GM soy is only intended for animal feed by my vegan friends are very particular about what they eat. They used to recommend that vegans ensure they get protein from at least two complementary sources* as vegetable sources often have less complete amino-acid profile than meat/animal sources, something Broseiden alluded too above. But apparently things have moved on:

"In the early 1970s, the concept of protein complementation became widely accepted as a basic requirement in the planning of vegetarian eating patterns. This concept stressed the need for complementing specific quantities of grains and legumes at the same meal...In the 1990s, the complementation of plant proteins at the same meal is no longer regarded an essential part of vegetarian meal planning...All plant foods are complete in that they contain each and every one of the essential amino acids"
- P55 "Becoming Vegetarian" - Melina R.D., Davis R.D. and Harrison R.D., 1995

Last edited:
They used to say 40% of US soy is GM modified

It's over 90% - Soy is generally considered the most genetically modified crop on earth.

Ref: USA: Cultivations in 2007

I'd be more bothered about making sure it's organic. The amount of pesticides, herbicides etc that are used in intensively farmed crops is scary!

Yes, I saw that - they are determined to foist it on us, despite clear objections. [This references says 92% in 2008] I wouldn't think pesticides are such an issue for beans, which are presumably protected by a pod but all that gunk gets into the environment and into the food web. Organic food is not without risks though, for example, the use of animal & human waste as fertilizer probably carries some risk. I guess we all have our hobby horses. I could never understand why California banned irradiation - it does an incredible job of preserving fresh fruit and vegetables - but in hindsight, it probably kills off all the bacteria, which we probably need to ingest (hence the craze for pro-biotics, live yoghurts, etc.). When it comes to food, the less messing about and factories involved the better IMHO.

Last edited:
... There is no evolution involved, it is just that lactose intolerance, alongside blonde hair is simply being bred out.
Reminds me of my reaction on seeing the local village school pupils a few years ago, after some years absence. The phase "Village of the Damned" went through my mind (the film of John Wyndam's book the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midwich_Cuckoos"]Midwich Cuckoos[/ame], wherein all the children born are blond), as they were almost all blonde. I was wondering if blonde might be a dominant trait, locally it seems to be on the increase despite increasing diversity (a blonde milkman perhaps?:D).
250px-Kids_votd1957.jpg
Catching up on this thread. Found this interesting link discussing the role of soy with regard to cancer: Soy and Breast Cancer
More in depth: Should Women with Breast Cancer Eat Soy?

Last edited:
Didn't Little Miss Muffet eat Whey before a nasty spider scared her away?

I have big concerns about soy being such an intensively farmed product - i.e. requiring loads of fertilizers and irrigation. I don't remember the source but have heard that soy can be bad for people because of high levels of phytoestrogen. At any rate I see it as an unnecessary food for my self. For dairy alternatives my favourite is oat milk because it seems to have the simplest formulation. Just oats and water with a little sunflower oil.
As far as protein is concerned I feel the best place to get it is from natural unadulterated sources such as STEAK! but for the veges out there I would have thought nuts and legumes would be the best sources.
Just found this chart that might be useful: Vegetable Protein how much protein in different vegetables Proteins in vegetable

Rumors about the consumption of soybeans.

Rumor 1: Some people say that men cannot eat soybeans?

Answer: wrong. Soybeans are rich in isoflavones, which are estrogen-like substances, which have a two-way regulatory effect on human estrogen. For example, children in puberty cause acne due to excessive secretion of male hormones, soy isoflavones can also play a regulatory role, and also have a role in relieving acne.

Rumor 2: Some people say that people with gout should not eat soy products?

Answer: wrong. Patients with gout are mainly due to ingestion of purine foods. Comparing the purine content of seafood and animal offal, soy products have very low purine content. Controlling purines is mainly to control the consumption of seafood and animal offal. It does not matter if you eat a little soy products appropriately.

Rumor 3: Milk and soy milk are incompatible with each other? Can't soy milk be eaten with eggs?

Answer: wrong. Eating milk, soy milk and eggs together will not affect the absorption of nutrients.

Rumor 4: Some people say that soy products are bad for women to prevent breast cancer?

Answer: wrong. Studies have found that regular consumption of soy products can help women suppress and prevent breast cancer. Because soy products are rich in soy isoflavones, the content of genistein in isoflavones is very high. It mainly plays an anti-cancer effect and can reduce cancer. Probability of occurrence.

Select high-quality soy protein products: https://soyproteincn.com/

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT