• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wisconsin Spearing Regulations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Not sure why I never posted this, but it is a "flyer" I did to laminate and put up on shore or the landing where we swim to let people know what we are up to. I would recommend laminating a copy and posting it at or near launches we use each time we go in. I tried to make it look official and professional without making it look condescending or like it was posted by the DNR. Of course anyone who wants can add or delete what they wish. It's about that time...

Attachments

• diving.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 326
Reactions: Whopperhead
“For any boat or water skier to operate or approach closer than 100 feet to any skin diver's flag or any swimmer unless the boat is part of the skin diving operation or is accompanying the swimmer.”

This paragraph is unclear, it should probably start with: "It is unlawful" or "It is illegal"

Right, but on the sign, it does not have that, so it reads a little poorly is all I was pointing out.

They already have signs similar to this up at many boat ramps around the state- doesn't seem to do much good. :(

The worst lake of all is Lake Geneva. :head I used to work for a shop that ran a charter boat out there. We would throw out a dozen flags all around our boat, plus more for the divers, and people would still drive through them to ask for directions!:rcard

Other times I've had boaters (fisherman) come right up on me and claim I was fishing their spot and refuse to move. It was one of the reasons I mounted a camera on my speargun- I always video tape their registration numbers so my widow knows who to go after. :martial

Best defense is a bigger float. On busy lakes I prefer to drag my dive kayak along- more area, higher out of the water, easier to see from a distance, and able to get on and paddle away when it gets too crazy.

Out on Lake Michigan I've even seen other dive boats drive up and ask what the Alpha flag was for that we were flying- which is needed by law when diving off of a boat in Lake Michigan.

Aside from spearfishing, I plan on spending a bit of time in Devil's Lake this summer playing around with the new monofin- no motor boats allowed! there's some more lakes up north that have similar laws that I can hardly wait to get into. They don't allow spearfishing, but they also don't allow motors so it's worth it (for me) to dive them.

In the end it comes down to the fact that you need a driver's license to drive a car, but only a checkbook to drive a boat. :head

Jon

Here's some pics of the fish that can be speared in MOST Wisconsin Lakes. It's always best to check the Regulations if you are spearing a lake you are unfamiliar with. Anyone getting into the Sport should STUDY these pics, I would hate for people to shoot the wrong fish and get all there gear taken from the DNR.

1st: Bluegill
2nd: Black Crappie
3rd: Yellow Perch
4th: Sunfish
5th: Rock Bass

Attachments

• bass_rock.jpg
    bass_rock.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Sunfish.jpg
    Sunfish.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 280
  • perch_yellow.jpg
    perch_yellow.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Crappie-Black.jpg
    Crappie-Black.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 273
  • bluegill.jpg
    bluegill.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Roughfish that can be speared in Most WI waters.

1st: Common Carp
2nd: Dogfish/Bowfin
3rd: Burbot
4th: Sheepshead/Freshwater Drum
5th: Gar

There are more that can be shot- but these are the most common- except for the Burbot- I've yet to see one.

Attachments

• Carp.jpg
    Carp.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 278
  • bowfin.jpg
    bowfin.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 276
  • burbot.jpg
    burbot.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 272
  • sheepshead.jpg
    sheepshead.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 265
  • longnose_gar.jpg
    longnose_gar.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 279
Burbot are all down deeper. They littler the shipwrecks out in Lake Michigan- much like carp in the shallow inland lakes we often dive. They can be found in some inland lakes, but only if they are deep, and cold enough to support them. I don't know if I've ever seen on shallower than 60'.

Jon

Too bad you can't take walleye, very tasty...Nice to see that you can take perch which some people say is just as good as walleye...Burbot are awesome, no fishiness - a close 2nd to walleye for me.

Is spearfishing allowed in lakes that show up on the trout stream maps with one of the color outlines? (Such as Devils Lake in Sauk county or Jordan lake in Adams county.) Just because there are trout regs on lakes does that make it off limits for spearfishing?

Dan

Thanks Scott,

I saw Devils Lake as off limits in the regs after my post.

I just got my spear yesterday, so I am off to try out my aim today.

Dan

Burbot ...don't know if I've ever seen one shallower than 60'.

I'd better take a class or two if I want to freedive that deep! When I hit 30 feet I'm already to go back up again... can't stay down there more than 5-10secs. :martial

I definitely support the idea of trying to get tags available for purchase that allow the spearing of game fish, and the plan about setting up three plans and shooting for the moon cause if you miss you still fall among the stars, lol cheesy i know but true.

Interesting you bring up tags for game fish. I just contacted the DNR to find out if I go through them or my state represenative to try and change regs so spearos can take pan fish here in Iowa.

Does anyone have any recommendations on strategies? How about stats on unitentional deaths due to hook injuries.

Hey Guys! - Just read this in the New 2012-13 Spearfishing Regulations for Wisconsin:

Outlying Waters — (Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Green Bay, Sturgeon Bay, Sawyer’s
Harbor and the Fox River from its mouth up to the dam at De Pere): It is unlawful to spear any species or variety of fish in the outlying waters at any time, except that rough fish may be speared from sunrise to sunset in all outlying waters, and may be taken with spear guns by the methods known as skin and scuba diving by divers in Lake Michigan. Northern pike may be speared through the ice in Lake Superior. Taking rough fish by bow and arrow only is also allowed from sunset to sunrise.

This has changed from last year. Looks like I won't be going to Kenosha Harbor to do my yearly Perch Spearing. This Sucks.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT