• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wong Mahi

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dear boys i looked many times to the Wong guns but couldn`t see Mahi gun. I just saw some simple teak models, hybrids and uno gun. I will be glad to you if you give me link to it or post a picture.

By the way Iyadvr, If you have 2000 $ you can also buy remington 700 which can hit basketball from 700 meters or you pay something between 13-15000 $ and get best sniper ever produced AWM .338 lapua Magnum.:D

5/16 Shafts

May be 5/16 shafts are thin for you Iyadiver but belive me it`s not. :naughty If you looked at the Riffe`s Photo galary you probably saw very large fishes and most of them taken by the 5/16 shafts even the world record Bluefin Tuna.Some guys able to catch big marlins with RA and 7mm euroshafts;)

murat, i posted a pic of the mahi on page 1 of this post. the wong enclosed track guns are this: 60" mahi, 63" ono, 68" tuna.

Murat,
the main reason I am eyeballing the Mahi over the big Riffe w/ wings is versatility. According to wong the mahi stock is balanced negating the need for wings. Being a much more compact gun I would also feel more comfotable in the rigs with it.(if you think tracking in open water is fun, try it between rig legs!) This would give me a much better shot at some of the bigger boys cruising aroung the beams. Besides, it just appeals to me...

Iya,
yes i do use cable as a shooting line. You have a couple of options when you dont stone a large fish on the rigs...
1. if im using a reel, i make my way to the surface and then deal with the fish.
2. if im using my float, i make my way to the surface and then deal with it.
3. MAKE YOUR WAY TO THE SURFACE!!!!!!
usually large rig fish will go straight down(don't try to hang on)or to the rig beams to free themselves so the cable will wrap up and you can spend the next 10 dives dealing with the mess. Cable and rig legs are no joke, always watch where the fish is going.:D

What is a REBAR ?

I agree with Rig, a big BW Riffe must be too big to swing on the oil rig legs, plus the middle multiple pipes and the middle 30 feet platform and so on.

I snapped a 400# cable just like a twig last time, A Giant Trevally only of 45 lbs swam one round on those big bulky zinc anode of the rig pillars. Somehow it made a good locked knot out of the cable, I didn't even get dragged......... just snapped !! Raw power those jack family fishes.

IYA

Rebar are reinforcing bars used to increase the tensile strength concrete. Rebar comes in standart lengths of 60` and are cut to desired and bent as required. #5 rebar means that it has diameters 5/8 #4 rebar means has diameter 4/8 or 1/2 inches.

Thanks Murat,

I thought rebar is a special joke they use in this forum. :duh
You know these guys have plenty of "insider" jokes :D :D

IYA

daryl,

i was wondering if you could help me a bit with getting over the aiming problem with the 60" mahi. it seems the bands are piling up on the top of the gun which makes it difficult to have a line of sight down the barrel. any suggestions? aquiles and i are both using 4 bands.

thanks for your time,
anderson york
denver, colorado

---------------------------------------

Hi Anderson,

I have the same gun and four bands, but I don't seem to have that problem because I think I aim different.  I don't look down the top of the gun to aim.  I aim it as when I aim my small 50in gun.  I use the tip of the shaft as my aiming point.  While pool testing with our big  6-8band tunaguns, we had a heck of a time because we'd try to aim like you are doing now.  We found that we had a hard time with so may bands on the top and also our shots were always low.  Then we decided to aim the guns like our regular fish guns and just point and aim the tip at the target.  We gained two things.  1. we no longer had a bunch of bands to look over. 2. we eliminated all the low shots we were experiencing.  Try this technigue and see if this works for you too.

Aloha, Daryl

---------------------------------------

i'll have to give this a try next time i'm in the water w/ my mini canon. :)

later guys,
andrsn

Thanks Anderson fo the Wong shooting info

This is exactly how I aim my Riffe #2 or #4, if I use 3 to 4 bands. I assumed I needed to do this because of the muzzle kick. I discovered it because I always shoot plywood target to learn the typical trajectory before I shoot fish with a new gun.

However this is not how I aim my 3 x 1/2" rubbers JBL or any pneumatics, I aim straight down the barrel.

Anderson, I recalled borrowing a friend Competitor #2. It uses 9/32 Hawaiian shaft and 2 x 1/2" rubber. I shot a giant trevally but the shaft landed rather high because I aimed it rather high like I do with my Standard #2 ( on 3-4 rubbers ). I told the owner who also owned the same S#2 like mine, he told me that he aimed his C#2 straight down the barrel/shaft. I suppose the mild 2 x 1/2" rubbers allow the shaft to shoot without any muzzle kick so no need to aim high. Maybe an hour of pool target session should help you.

IYA

do you think this means it needs to be shot "from the hip"? if you're not looking down the barrel, but from above and looking at the tip, how do you line up the shot on a fish? :confused:

i don't have a pool long enough for this gun. :( i'll just have to practice on some ocean triggers next time.

cheers,
andrsn

Try this

In my solution you don`t need pool to train your aim. It is easy and effective. Read it very carefully i will explain it clearly.

Take your gun to your right hand (if you are right handed).

Choose an imaginary target. My favorite is a key hole.
Direct your gun to the target. Just like shooting with pistol.
Close your left eye.
Look from above of the barrel about two inches above or more.Important thing is you must able to see the tip of the shaft. As soon as you slightly see the tip of the shaft it is ok dont go any higher.
Direct your shaft`s tip to your imaginary target lets suppose it is key hole.
Move your gun to the key hole and observe does it touches where you see from the tip.
It is probably fit.
It is that easy once you are confortable with this aim you don`t need to close your left eye.

I never miss with this aim. I am using it on euro gun. You may say it is not euro gun but it really doesn`t matter. When i talked with Jay Riffe he exactly adviced to me same style (aim according to the tip). For multi rubber Mid Handles. As i said before it doesn`t matter type of the gun it is works for all speargun.

I looked from half meter above of the gun and i am still able to hit the imaginary target.

Hi Chief,

This is how I aim. See my ugly drawing. Top part. Butt low, tip a bit high. Tip in the fish/target but you get to see more of the tip this way. Middle of the gun is still in the exact vertical plane of the fish.

The lower left fish drawing is how you now aimed ur gun, so you see more of the bands and only loading tabs. Just trying to convey a clearer picture with drawings....you know how I like long post :D :D

The so ugly right bottom right drawing is how I see my speartip, quite a significant portion of it. It is not putting the tip above the fish but like super imposing it. Damn my English !!! This is what Jay Riffe and Murat explains.

My second post is a page from Terry Maas Bluw W Hunting. Same info.

Sven should be able to help you and it will be better because ur Wong and his Riffe Island is the same mid-handle and both high power. Mine is rear handle, the finer aiming details might not be the same. I place my gun butt on the same plane as my mouth when I aim. Hand out straight. This is why I do not like mid-handle even all the pro swear by it. I am scared to get butt-ted. Me is 167CM short and short hand too.

Dr Wong is not asking you to "Hip Shot" it is just a polite way of explaining :

"OK, aiming down the barrel zero degrees won't do cause my gun has muzzle kick too you know. So that is why we get low shots. All high power 4+ bands do this. Despite the built in ballast for the recoil absorption, a muzzle kick-up is un-avoidable. So aim speartip high.":D :D

Lucky Hawaii is far away from my city:duh

Hope this help.
IYA

A short info from Terry Maas Blue Water Hunting & Freediving.
Scanned without permission.......yet. I am sure Terry won't get pissed....this is like a marketting scheme for him:D :D :D :head

Yea thanks for drawings Iya but don`t decide to be architect.:D

The lower right picture is exactly what i mean. With my euro gun i can use both lower right and left picture`s aiming.Using lower right picture`s aiming is much easy and fast tracking with widther vision.

Hey IYA, can I come hunting with you? I want to go to this place where the fish smile and turn broadside for you to shoot them! Even I could do some damage there. :martial

I spoke with Daryl's partner and decided that the Mahi might be a great primary gun for the rigs as well as my occasional bluewater trip. The only problem I can see is that sometimes these fish come ridiculously close to you and all that power...:ko sounds like a good time! Thanks for all the thought provoking info on this post.

OK have been trying to read up all the info I can on daryl wong, riffe island, and alexander/kitto guns.

I don't have the cash right this minute but I am saving up for a decent blue water gun. The guns I have been looking at are the daryl wong mahi, and Ono, the riffe island and the alexander/kitto guns of similar length.

The guns would be used ONLY as a blue water guns to target dogtooth, wahoo, mackeral, dolphin fish, and yellowfin. I really like the look of daryl's guns, but shipping would cost me a mint on top of the actual price... (have e-mailed daryl but haven't got a reply on price of his guns yet).

Has anyone used both an island and a ono or mahi? did you find you needed the stabilisers for the riffe? which gun had the better tracking? Which would you rather have loaded in your hand if a huge yellowfin appeared? and which would you rather swim all day with.

andrsn you seem to know a lot about the mahi as you have one your self... do you feel it is a more useful size bluewater then the ono? have you used the riffe or an alexander and can you give a comparison?

IS their still a large variation in price between the riffe island fully setup for bluewater with slip tip ect and a mahi or ono setup for bluewater?

Even after looking at daryl's site I still don't know bugger all about prices ect... I can get a riffe (With no mods for blue water for about $1300 aus... and bugger all shipping charge) so which equpment is the better value for money?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT