• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yep..Another which gun should I get, thread.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
...and in my very, very limited experience, they may try to end your life prematurely... :hungover:
Please tell ;). Umm those Blue tec are looking amazing even the lycan are good.But yeah there top range guns look seriously good.
I am not keen on the c4 anymore,They don't have rails,Not sure if they know how much of a step up in accuracy rails are,a gun with no rails would be useless for me,no time to tune a gun in like that.

Last edited:
Just picked up the mares 90.Had a little search on this forum.GlAD I did ,Now I know what Broseidon is talking about.I just bought a $150 suicide gun.I think I might leave it in the box.
To update on rail gun shopping,I have given up,The gun I want does not exist and maybe I should start building them.115cm Carbon graphite Cuttle bone, aimrite quality handle,pregnant stock down to a thin tapper but strong enough to accomadate 3 bands,Price will be $1000 complete
I will update this thread when I am finished ,maybe 10 years give or take.

You mentioned "big dogs", I assume you mean dogtooth tuna? The tried & true recipe for tuna exceeding 60kg is a 3/8 6ft shaft. I just use three rubbers & still get all the penetration I need on bigger fish, they are accurate with a slip tip & can sink a pranger right up to the base if trying to stone them when its a bit sharkey. 8mm or 5/16 spears are ok for small fish under 40 kg , but you said big so I expect you are hoping to find fish in the 100kg range. you will be best suited with a 3/8 spear. You dont need fins or gimmicks on a gun like this, it just needs to not flex or bend when under the stress of three short rubbers. Do not get an enclosed track.

Reactions: Danny.c
You mentioned "big dogs", I assume you mean dogtooth tuna? The tried & true recipe for tuna exceeding 60kg is a 3/8 6ft shaft. I just use three rubbers & still get all the penetration I need on bigger fish, they are accurate with a slip tip & can sink a pranger right up to the base if trying to stone them when its a bit sharkey. 8mm or 5/16 spears are ok for small fish under 40 kg , but you said big so I expect you are hoping to find fish in the 100kg range. you will be best suited with a 3/8 spear. You dont need fins or gimmicks on a gun like this, it just needs to not flex or bend when under the stress of three short rubbers. Do not get an enclosed track.
Thanks for the reply,I did not mean tuna or any huge game fish,I meant bigdog in a general sense ,I mean more like big reef fish with the odd mactuna or smaller pelagics.The only gun I see that comes close is the c4 urkray but they I can't get a rail version,I love the bluetec raptors but I don't think they are built for 3 bands plus being in Aus ,these guns are near impossible to get a hold of.

I am not keen on the c4 anymore,They don't have rails,Not sure if they know how much of a step up in accuracy rails are,a gun with no rails would be useless for me,no time to tune a gun in like that.

Rails on C4 guns? When you say rail what are your referring to? To me the rail is the section in / on which the spear rests on the barrel. So in my books the C4 guns do have rails:

C4Urukay.jpg

A gun that sounds very close to size and performance that you want is Daryl Wong 36" Pistol or 42" North Easter GR Hybrid. Three band carbon barrel with wooden stock. But at around $700 to $800 USD they are beautiful but pricey.

jonathon_davis_42_ne.jpg

My favourite would be, and I suppose I'm biased because I have quite a few of his guns and he is a friend, is a Tommy Botha roller gun. I harped on on how versatile they are in another post. I still have one of the first models with the bigger all-wood muzzle but as is evident in the photos below, in the newer versions he trimmed the muzzle down quite a bit. He's also working on a version which will use 14mm small ID bands which will make the rollers even smaller and lead to an even more streamlined head. Below is a gun he recently built for a buddy of mine:

TommyGun1.jpg

TommyGun2.jpg

I'm not 100% sure on the shipping costs but mainly due to the weak South African rand you will most probably look at under $600 AUD to get one over there. In my books that's an absolute bargain for a fully custom built roller gun.

Holy S**t!!
That's nice.The Barrel Is near perfect,and it is as pretty as a CShop fender strat maple finger board (y).
Nice and stream line.makes me wonder though,if there is a enough meat around the center roller with that amount of pressure.Speaking of guitar necks ,Would I be the first genious:rolleyes: (I had to spell it wrong for the lol's)
To think of putting truss rods in this gun.
I think that would make a huge difference in the timber stability area.especially over a long period of time.You could control the amount of timber warp on the vertical plain.Barrel twist may be another issue.
The wong has the handle in the wong spot.
Urukay I found a model with a black handle called a c4 urukay rail.They were out of stock
Then there is the orange handle one called just c4 urukay.This one I could purchase but was not sure if it was rail, cause they dropped the rail in the title.
And the price is.. kinda high.
I guess it does have some rail.I am no master speargun sniper but what I have learnt is,every rubber gun I have tried fire with no rail has been all over the place.
I talk to a bloke today,he owns a shop called one breath diving,in qld really nice bloke,could talk spearfishing all day with him and has the best gear in Aus .He can get them in for me if I make up my mind:greedy:.
Just this week I have met two great spearo's but I won't blab about how amazingly, life changing spear fishing is and all the people who do it.well all most.:cigar:

Holy S**t!!
That's nice.The Barrel Is near perfect,and it is as pretty as a CShop fender strat maple finger board (y).
Nice and stream line.makes me wonder though,if there is a enough meat around the center roller with that amount of pressure.Speaking of guitar necks ,Would I be the first genious:rolleyes: (I had to spell it wrong for the lol's)
To think of putting truss rods in this gun.
I think that would make a huge difference in the timber stability area.especially over a long period of time.You could control the amount of timber warp on the vertical plain.Barrel twist may be another issue.
The wong has the handle in the wong spot.

LOL! I think Daryl may disagree with you on that wong... :LOL:

As for the Tommy gun... all is not what it seems like there. :D Inside all of his guns runs a square aluminium tube exactly to eliminate what you mention in your post. So there's no warping, twisting or bending. He also fills the aluminium with Teak to aid in buoyancy and balance and all the external hardware is mounted onto the aluminium so you don’t have to worry about your reel being ripped off or screws pulling out of wood.

I think the early C4s did not have any sort of rail & they were still very accurate guns!! (Forum member Magpie has one)
Truss rod in a spear gun.. stainless steel truss rod perhaps but only poorly designed gun will bend (I don't fit truss rods to my guitars anyway preferring a carbon rod)
You might find some inspiration from my signature link, maybe my carbon strong back gun?
https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/project-carbon-strongback-gun.85734/page-7

You might find some inspiration from my signature link, maybe my carbon strong back gun?https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/project-carbon-strongback-gun.85734/page-7[/QUOTE]
That is a sweet looking cannon as well ,love the flare of the barrel.Reminds me of the bluetec a little,A kiss no bulls**t gun to get the job done as well. That s what worries me about the c4, have heard that things need changing to get them to shoot well(Tangles shooting line and rubbers) but thus could be conjecture.
I am definitely seeing some real beauty's here though. Foxfish,how much time(working time) and money did you spend on this,I did not read every page.I would love to design my own shape carbon gun.Very inspiring thank you Sir.

Reactions: foxfish
LOL! I think Daryl may disagree with you on that wong... :LOL:

As for the Tommy gun... all is not what it seems like there. :D Inside all of his guns runs a square aluminium tube exactly to eliminate what you mention in your post. So there's no warping, twisting or bending. He also fills the aluminium with Teak to aid in buoyancy and balance and all the external hardware is mounted onto the aluminium so you don’t have to worry about your reel being ripped off or screws pulling out of wood.
It would also look great hanging on my wall.I would be to scared to get it wet.Not a huge fan Of the timber guns(as yet) or rollers nor have I ever tried them (call me shallow) ,but if I was, I would get that for sure. I seriously would love that gun as a piece of art.
Also don't get me wong about Darrel,s guns, have never tried mid grip gun's either ,dame creatures of habbit too blame for my narrow mindedness and fear of the unknown:bucktooth:.
Edit=What type of timer s that and what type of cut?It looks like quarter sawn

Last edited:
That a real beauty!! Putting in 100 plus hours to give it away is a true test of a mans generosity.Nice trophy

All this timber got me thinking.I just love timber and here is some more inspiration ,I am not sure if Gun builders ever get a kick out of nice grains and cuts ,specially as there just going to used as a practical fish hunters instead of put on walls but I would love a gun made from roasted(baked) flame or birds eye maple,drool worthy.
Edit=These a suhr Guitars.very expensive.

Attachments

• Classic_Shorline_Gold_13382_b.jpg
    Classic_Shorline_Gold_13382_b.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 149
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: landshark sa
cheers mate ,some really nice guns there quite different.Most of them are art work to me.One of those carbon ones is a stand out as well.
The YT link is broken.Do you build electric gits or hollows?

Hi Danny, I have only been building guitars for about 3 years, I have made around 10 so far, one solid body 4 string tenor guitar and the rest acoustics.

Hi Danny, I have only been building guitars for about 3 years, I have made around 10 so far, one solid body 4 string tenor guitar and the rest acoustics.

Awesome mate ,bet it looks amazing in RL. solid unit by the sounds of it too.
Edit-Love the detail on the muzzle .like a rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Anyway getting back to the question, if I were you, I would read up watch vids etc regarding dry barrel guns.
They might not suit your needs but that is what I use as my every day gun.
In my case I use a 90 cm Omer with a Tomba free spear kit fitted, I can only say what I feel from my own personal experience but that is a awesome set up with adjustable power, no recoil &.... lots of power.
One thing I enjoy about the gun is that you can see the spear in flight, not always of course but quite often once the spear is launched you can see it trajectory & that gives you such a great insight as to were to aim for the next shot.
I also fire a 6.5mm 100cm spear & that more often than not goes straight through the smallish fish we shoot.
If that happens then the fish cant struggle against the solid spear & rip off as it is just on the spear line.
Not everybody's cup of tea, however if you get a chance to fire one, I think you would be impressed, loading one at high power settings will be a leaning curve but you can up the air pressure as you get the technique down.
I am certainly not trying to convince you but perhaps worth studying dry barrel air guns a little more :)

Anyway getting back to the question, if I were you, I would read up watch vids etc regarding dry barrel guns.
They might not suit your needs but that is what I use as my every day gun.
In my case I use a 90 cm Omer with a Tomba free spear kit fitted, I can only say what I feel from my own personal experience but that is a awesome set up with adjustable power, no recoil &.... lots of power.
One thing I enjoy about the gun is that you can see the spear in flight, not always of course but quite often once the spear is launched you can see it trajectory & that gives you such a great insight as to were to aim for the next shot.
I also fire a 6.5mm 100cm spear & that more often than not goes straight through the smallish fish we shoot.
If that happens then the fish cant struggle against the solid spear & rip off as it is just on the spear line.
Not everybody's cup of tea, however if you get a chance to fire one, I think you would be impressed, loading one at high power settings will be a leaning curve but you can up the air pressure as you get the technique down.
I am certainly not trying to convince you but perhaps worth studying dry barrel air guns a little more :)

Might have to plan a custom from you one of these days,A wall hanger that is fully functional,just in case of zombie apocalypse:hurting:.
There's no way I would get one of those gems wet.
I actually can not wait to try my new 90 mares out.The line on the reel does not have a guide for the muzzle,so I need to sort that out ,I have ordered new line for that as well,the shaft is 7mm- 1mtr.I don't know how to obtain the dry barrel yet,I had a little search on the googlys not sure yet.Did not look hard enough.
In all honesty I don't need convincing,I like my phnum 40,so I should be having a ball with the 90.I have to wait for the ocean to clean up for couple weeks now.
I do wonder how much reach it will have.
I also need a gauge ,then I am as good as ready.
I have read that this gun can miss fire if the tip is turned or bumped.So I will test those first.
Thanks for all the help so far mate,much appreciated.(y)
Edit=I have no trouble loading this gun.Really easy.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT