• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Always found the quickest way to dispatch fish is hold them by the mouth and flip upside down, stick it between your knee's and a
knife straight between the gills, have to be abit careful with Bass spines but very quick way to finish off.

Best to grab the Spider crabs by the claws in one hand, that way the have no chance of nipping you

Always found the quickest way to dispatch fish is hold them by the mouth and flip upside down, stick it between your knee's and a
knife straight between the gills, have to be abit careful with Bass spines but very quick way to finish off.

For bass I grip the fish by the gills and go in through the mouth with my knife, its very soft tissue and kills them instantly with a twist of the blade...I'm aiming for its brain just behind the eyes. I used to push the knife in from the top of its head but the point needs to be very sharp or it can slip off and injure you. I wouldn't fancy putting my fingers near the mouth of a Trigger or Gilthead though.

Hav'nt even seen a Trigger or Gilthead yet maybe this year, shot a John Dory out in Kerry last year.

Hav'nt even seen a Trigger or Gilthead yet maybe this year, shot a John Dory out in Kerry last year.
Now thats a lovely tasty fish...I've never seen one from the shore around the south east, were you diving in deep water from a boat?

I shot him very close to shore on the edge of a shallow reef, probably around 2-3 mtres. It was around July time so when we had the really nice weather.
It just sat there as if relying on it's camouflage, grunted like mad after I shot it.

Last July was fantastic....the water was so warm, Triggerfish make that grunting noise as well, they actually look a bit like the shape of a Triggerfish around the head as well, but they don't seem to have that row of teeth. Hope we get a summer like last year...who knows what will turn up ;)

Fish Fight is back on channel 4 on Sunday:

Fish Fight.jpg

Hi Rob, did you buy that pup in Cork from a guy named Liam? If so I'd say you've got a good one there. Get him used to seeing and ignoring sheep, as soon and as often as possible.
On another note, has anyone been diving out in West Cork recently? I'm hankering after some scallops but not sure what the vis will be like in the bays after all the recent rain and big seas.

Sorry Dave, been in bed sick for last 3 weeks :(

I got him at 4months from a local rescue. Apartnly he was left chained at a halting site was was skin and bones ready for death. He had been bitten in the sinus and it was a bad infection. After a few weeks at the Vets he went to the rescue then we picked him up. The breed is an old one from Arabia and as we lived out that way for a while it was a nice fit.

He is about 6months now and super fast, I'd love to know if he could go after wabbits :)

Wouldnt mind some scallops myself, but I'm not allowed exercise for another 2-3 weeks :(

Would'nt mind a few scallops myself but water is like chocolate at the moment.
Have been doing quite abit of surfing over the sandbank we normally fish over Rob, it's a crazy spot when the big swells roll in.

Last edited:
Would'nt mind a few scallops myself but water is like chocolate at the moment.
Have been doing quite abit of surfing over the sandbank we normally fish over Rob, it's a crazy spot when the big swells roll in.
feckin hell... do you paddle out?
It is worse when you get tide against wind... good for mackies tho :)

Last edited:
Actually found a couple of Ling fillets in the back of the freezer yesterday, thought we had eaten them all..

Last edited:
Ya, I'm looking for a break in the weather to get out and get sane... its been the longest I've ever been from the water!

I reckon your crazy heading out near a main shipping lane on a surf board! But I guess there aint many fishing boats in those conditions!
Have you any go pro vids of it? Does anyone else surf there? I've never seen it myself.

Actually going to remove my post as i'll likely get linched next time I go down there after giving out directions, it's not actually shipping channel more the point under cliffs.

Actually going to remove my post as i'll likely get linched next time I go down there after giving out directions, it's not actually shipping channel more the point under cliffs.
I removed same in my quote.
I know its not in the shipping channel, but if you got an injury or wipe out you could float out there I guess.
Sounds awesome though!

Sorry Dave, been in bed sick for last 3 weeks :(

I got him at 4months from a local rescue. Apartnly he was left chained at a halting site was was skin and bones ready for death. He had been bitten in the sinus and it was a bad infection. After a few weeks at the Vets he went to the rescue then we picked him up. The breed is an old one from Arabia and as we lived out that way for a while it was a nice fit.

He is about 6months now and super fast, I'd love to know if he could go after wabbits :)

Wouldnt mind some scallops myself, but I'm not allowed exercise for another 2-3 weeks :(
Hope you're feeling better now and it sounds like your pup is a lot better too. Unfortunately that kind of thing happens a lot with lurchers. I stopped breeding years ago because I couldn't guarantee a good life for the pups. Unless I end up with something really special I'll probably never breed another litter now.
If you can't find any good ground to try him, PM me at the end of summer. I've got a fair bit of permission with plenty of rabbits as my son and myself do pest control over a few farms. I've got a nine month old pup myself of deerhound/greyhound breeding.

This is her in a forest out West.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derekn
Hi Lads, seen this beauty hanging around my fish pond today, I'm not sure if its a Kestrel or Sparrow Hawk anyone got any ideas?

416F8776 copy.jpg

Hi Lads, seen this beauty hanging around my fish pond today, I'm not sure if its a Kestrel or Sparrow Hawk anyone got any ideas?

View attachment 37841
That's a sparrowhawk Derek. They usually hang round bird tables rather than fishponds but they do bath a lot to keep their feathers in order. Nice picture.

Thanks Sf , I was looking up pics on the net and couldn't really tell. Right enough there is a bird table nearby that lots of small birds visit. My daughter seen it yesterday but it was gone before I could get the camera out, it hung around a bit longer this evening on a tree branch overhanging the fish pond. Watched it hovering over a field for a while before the crows chased it away...seen a pair of them a couple of weeks ago off in the distance. Maybe they're breeding nearby.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT