• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

200m deep down

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will Patrick make the 200m barrier?

• Yes he will, and everything will be ok !!

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • Yes, but with big problems...

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • No, he will "chicken out" and cancel the dive.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • No, he did a try... but not really.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • No, No, No...

Votes: 20 18.3%

• Total voters
hmmmmm
in the article it said patrick started freediving when he was 28, but on his 200m comments he said he had been developing his abilities for freediving since 12. Maybe he meant only apnea abilities?

Patrick (or anyone else involved in the no limits record attempt)

I'm especially interested to know about the in-water safety. In particular who the tech and scuba divers are (presume they are being used). Target depths they'll be placed at, safety equipment and systems in place. I'm working on a database of safety divers and would appreciate a link or contact with whoever is leading that side of the challenge.

Laura Storm

Reactions: Alison
quasimoto said:
hmmmmm
in the article it said patrick started freediving when he was 28, but on his 200m comments he said he had been developing his abilities for freediving since 12. Maybe he meant only apnea abilities?

Athletic Abilities maybe is what he meant.. peoplle, people a little common sense :duh .... the Guy has done kickboxing , Kungfu :ko and a series ofother sports for years and I doubt he learnt to swim at 28 :hmm .... since he was twelve I think....

It is my opinion that:
Patrick's record is at best an acheivement in logistics (organisation, scheduling, funding etc). The actual physical acheivement is more comparable with records such as eating 50 hotdogs in 10 minutes than with actual freediving records. The fact that Patrick addresses his vitriol at 'the freediving community' is misguided: freedivers such as Coste, Stepanek, Sietas etc are athletes, who have nothing to do with the cranky and secretive attitude of 'performers' such as Musimu.
To support Eric's statement, lets assume that I have developed a No Limits sled that is 100% safe, and I want to experience what Patrick felt at 200m. I heard about his 'wet equalisation' method, however since he won't reveal 'THE solution' I am open to perils, such as accidentally inhaling water and choking during the descent. At the end of the day Patrick's jealousy could actually cause accidents. Does he really "hope that one day someone will have the pleasure to experience what I lived down there"?
No Limits is a helicopter ride to the top of a mountain - sure the view may be spectacular, but can you say you're a climber?

efattah said:
"I had announced to the press that I would explain my water equalization technique and my training program upon record. Now I do not see the point anymore."

From your thread I wouldn't see the point either wasn't it you that said:

Efattah said:
... Pipin taught Patrick his 'wet' equalizing technique one-on-one, until Patrick got it......So it was not that Patrick 'read' something on the net and then used it, he had people directly helping him learn these techniques

the solution is already out there.... according to you :hmm

Last edited:
Will said:
It is my opinion that:
To support Eric's statement.....

Will i doubt the world's Media would come out for a hotdog eating contest and the two events... not really comparable :hmm . ..

He'll Obviously share it in due course this is too Big a thing to keep and it would defeat the purpose the point of the whole thing was to bring more to the world... he's smarter than that...

certain folks should watch what they say though and try and be as accurate as possible...

and will a little repsect... just a litle :naughty

But anyway the whole thing will blowover ... I had promised to be good but ...anyway I'm nolonger going to post and just enjoy the ride from now on...

Last edited:
Reactions: jome
Finally the update is on line.
209.6 meters!!!
I'm not quite sure about only dehydration. In fact dehydration is a risk factor DCS. Hope that Patrick get well soon.

wow, another amazing dive.

the effects of decompression must be having some effect on him at these depths. this could account for the tiredness. sounds like he's having some stomach problems. this happened to me on my first visit to Egypt. it put me out of action for an entire week! i also lost a lot of weight (5-6kg?) ... but only 2 days after recovering, on my very last day in Dahab, i set my constant weight PB. :D so hopefully with rest and rehydration Patrick will be well enough to dive on the 5th.

Ok... tomorrow it is.

Will Patrick make 700 feet? :p

If you use normal conversions, meter to feet you find this:
209,6m = 687.66 feet, 213.4m = 700 feet

But if you use conversions for "Depth in sea water at 4 °C", you find this:
209,6m = 698.64 feet, 210.01m = 700.01 feet

And if you use conversions for "Depth in fresh water at 4 °C" you find this:
209,6m = 681.16 feet, 215.4m = 700.01 feet (not Patrick's case, of course!)

(http://www.vemco.com/calc.htm ...is the one I use for this)

A question to someone that know exactly, why three numbers... two I can understand. But three?? (5m + diff from sea to fresh!!)

Anyway... good luck to Patrick tomorrow.

:wave

regards,
Bill

Last edited:
sea water is more dense than fresh water. a pressure gauge at held at 10m in the sea will register a higher pressure than one held at 10m in fresh water. so equalising to 50m in the sea is actually harder than equalising to 50m in a lake!

Suunto claims the difference is about 3%. this is fairly consistent with the figures you gave, 210 and 215m.

...quick you are, Alun.

About pressure yes. But here we talk about meters, not Atmospheres.

When it comes to the distance, like in this case, 1 meter is still 3.2808 feet.

hmm... I most say that I still like measure the line :) if you do this correct.

Bill again...

imagine if you submerge a 200m long steel pole (that is vertical and does not stretch or bend), then the bottom will of course be at 200m. if your gauge is calibrated perfectly according to the temperature, thermoclines, salinity, haloclines then it will also read 200m. if not, it will give an inaccurate reading.

i think the calculator you used (on that wesbite) applies to a specific instrument which is calibrated in a certain way. this is why you get different values.
a sea-calibrated depth gauge at 1m in the sea will show 1m
a sea-calibrated depth gauge at 1m in a lake will show ~0.97m
both gauges are 1m deep, but only one will actually give the correct depth.

at least with depth gauges you can test their accuracy, e.g. pressure chamber test in controlled environment etc. with rope measuring there is no way to test the accuracy as far as i can tell :)

laura harris said:
Patrick (or anyone else involved in the no limits record attempt)

I'm especially interested to know about the in-water safety. In particular who the tech and scuba divers are (presume they are being used). Target depths they'll be placed at, safety equipment and systems in place. I'm working on a database of safety divers and would appreciate a link or contact with whoever is leading that side of the challenge.

Laura Storm

Karim Helal was heading up this last challenge..

Reactions: laura storm
Island Sands ... thank you. Do you know if Karim is still based at Divers' Lodge (Intercon) Hurghada?

Last edited:
Do you know some info about the today event? Today is the peek day of the Ultimate Dive prject, isn't it? The Ultimate Dive?

Respect for the already achieved depth!

Jee

I hope that no news means that everyone is celebrating his dive today. Does anyone know what happened? Did Patrick dive or is he still recovering from his weight loss and dehydration?

My fingers are crossed that everything went well....

:( I see.
"No other dives will be planned as long as Patrick does not put on weight. "

I wish him getting better soon.

Jee

That's true. The curve of a line under tension run parallel to the force of gravity can be desribed as a parametric function of hyperbolic trigonometric functions. Making the line staright would require an infinity coefficient.

Never dove in current before. Bet it sucks.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT