• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

200m deep down

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will Patrick make the 200m barrier?

• Yes he will, and everything will be ok !!

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • Yes, but with big problems...

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • No, he will "chicken out" and cancel the dive.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • No, he did a try... but not really.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • No, No, No...

Votes: 20 18.3%

• Total voters
his equalization technique does not involve forcefully expelling air from the lungs
That makes some sense. Less forceful movement and less air used from the lungs to equalize the middle ears and sinuses means more air left in the lungs and thorax to offset ambient water pressure on the outside. But whether he used BTV later in his dive or not, I still think he started the dive with as much water as he could get into his middle ears and sinuses.

His history, Pipen's, his words, the speed of descent, and the video all suggest it to me.
don

"I don’t think he did 1 & 2, because he said his technique allowed him to descend faster than anyone had ever done on a sled before. “2 m/s speed of descent”.

Im pretty sure Seb said his rate of descent was 3m/s with his concrete tubes if i remember correctly.
Great video of Patrick. Definetly wet equalization. Its interesting his head position during the descent with his head tilted back.I wonder if this is part of the equalizing technique? I love the whiring sound of the sled. :king

But he does do something to equalize during the first phase of the dive. From his traning log, Day 10: "Well look at the dive profile and here its explanation: After his final deep breath, as Patrick opened the break an unexpected wave caught him by surprise and one of his leg glidded out of its support, while the speed of descent was increasing, Patrick succeeded easily to reposition himself BUT he had lost crucial time to properly equalize his ears. At 28m he decided to stop the sled and take time to equalize ....and to everyone surprise ...he opened the break again and soon disappeared in the Blue..... "

This implies that he indeed uses normal equalization initially, before flooding his head, does it not?

Wow - lost for words!!!! That really is amazing.....

Thanks for your help Simo....

Donna said:
Wow - lost for words!!!! That really is amazing.....

Thanks for your help Simo....

that it is.... you guys read his latest update?... :waterwork

samdive said:
Where? can't see anything new on his site

he put up a post dive statement - the link is right above the video of his dive... it says " new! read patricks post dive statement" i thought it was food for thought that and since i've been feeling left out with all the technical threads lately :waterwork ... i wanted to start a new debate... in which i culd bviously take part in. :wave

Last edited:
yeah but its not new, thats been up for a week or so.

I thought you meant something else

Is the surface video posted anywhere yet?

S

samdive said:
yeah but its not new, thats been up for a week or so.

I thought you meant something else

Is the surface video posted anywhere yet?

S

nah I'm waiting for it too but by the looks of it...we'll have to wait for the documentary to come out on tv

Thalassa's broadcast of Patrick's dive was broadcast worldwide on Friday it was awsome!!!!!

and very moving I had a tear in my eye...
any one else see it

I was a bite disappointed. There was not much underwater footage.
Still it was interesting.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT