• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2015 LUNOCET PRO

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Ilaria Bonin's WR dynamic CMAS record:

Beautiful swim, and exit, I hope the underwater footage comes online someday.

Just one more monofinning underwater video, from someone that swims very gracious, and glides for miles, Elisabeth Müller (Kristofferson):

Reactions: Raffy
It's good to see the Lunocet 2015 getting its own thread, though I must say that I'll miss the previous one a bit. The Lunocet 2014 thread was very interesting - we saw news about the development of the fin there as we discussed it, gave advice to each other and vented frustrations. Great to see some of the regulars here, Noa, Chipswim and ApneaAddict, whose postings were prolific and insightful, not only for those of us who were curious about this topic, but were useful to Ted, who took the feedback on that thread seriously. I occasionally had a few things to say, though hopefully, in this new thread more of us will be reporting upon our experiences with the 2015 model in the water. In the meanwhile, I've resolved to just train and wait for it to come to me in its good time.

I'm glad to see this thread starting with posts about training and technique, because without these you really can't get the most out of any monofin, the Lunocet included, no matter how well Ted designs it. The video posted by Marco is excellent, showing an experienced finswimmer demonstrating both good and bad techniques. Kars gives great advice on pool training and is absolutely right in suggesting that someone make a video of you swimming with a monofin in your best form so that you can correct your errors.

Good technique is not just something for the athletes, it makes the experience of using a monofin more enjoyable whatever you use it for. In apnea, when you are holding your breath and clearing your mind, your body wants to do things that come naturally to it, so good training is also about motions that we are less conscious of, or in other words, good training techniques can also be a way of replacing counter-productive automatisms with productive ones.

For those wanting to improve their technique by pool training, I suggest getting your hands on the book Learn the Monofin by Mike Maric, Valter Mazzei and Stefano Figini. Aside from giving a fascinating history of the monofin and a detailed, though accessible, analysis of techniques, most of the book is a training manual with instructions and photos. The book has been very useful to me, not only helping me to improve my own technique, but in training other freedivers - from beginners to competitive ones. The three-day monofin workshops given by Mike Maric to our apnea club here in Montreal in 2013 and last spring showed many of us the value of these exercises, and we continue to practice them.

The book takes a lot of the guesswork out of training and techniques, which tends to proliferate online, and when followed right it can make champions. Stefano Figini is a decorated finswimming legend in Europe and Ilaria Bonin, who is coached by Mike Maric, continues to break world records in women's DYN (237.8 metres!) with an intense training regime that includes these techniques. Even some of our own "mutants," as we have nicknamed some of the athletes who train with us, are putting up some impressive numbers in Canadian competitions after having taken part in Mike's workshops and incorporating his book into their regimens.

I've discussed this book before in the Lunocet 2014 thread, so I hope that some of you guys will forgive me for what must seem like shameless promotion, but I think it's worth a look to anyone who wants to improve their experience of any kind of dolphin-inspired swimming gear. This is more "sharing" than "commercializing" in any case, and as the 2015 lunocet pros start hitting the water, I just wanted to let some of those who will be checking out this new thread aware of it.
Having taken a workshop three years ago with Mike and Valter, I can vouch to its value and efficiency. And the laughs with the funny Italians made it all even more enjoyable...

Reactions: Raffy
The 2015 LUNOCET PRO can be identified easily by its unique center link in its peduncle hinge:View attachment 39260 View attachment 39261 View attachment 39262

The promise of this Lunocet is to open the production phase for Ted Ciamillo's creative biomimicing monofins.

To date early adopters and self appointed test swimmers like myself have taken quite a ride including hundreds of hours in the water..... Swimming in the "think tank" you could say.

The LUNOCET PRO is just emerging from the molds looking to be submerged with you in some beautiful destinations.

Testing and first impresssions are SO positive! It is time to open the new and likely the most defining chapter to date on the efforts for humans to imitate marine mammals!

HERE WE GO !!!
So, does anyone ever get a reply from Mr. Ciamillo? I have been following the prototype development of the Lunocet for longer than you might imagine. I placed an order with Lunocet aka Mr. Ciamillo many, many months ago with absolutely no response other than his "form letter" via email. This included phone calls during which he explained that there were machine malfunctions in his manufacturing process which resulted in delays. He then said over the phone that my order would be received within 4 to 5 weeks. Wrong. No delivery. At this point in time, I am thoroughly disappointed and disheartened by the lack of response from Mr. Ciamillo. I am very pleased to know that some Lunosapiens have received their orders and are able to swim/dive with them and give back useful and practical feedback. Unfortunately for me, I am not among them. I have nothing else to say but best wishes and great ocean/lake/pool experiences to those who Mr. Ciamillo chose to receive his product. Bon Chance.

Reactions: Kars
Billfish,

I may be most current with Ted right now having spoken to him last week on the occasion of opening this thread.
There is a possibility that I cost us all a bit more time for a small but important revision.

I'm (affectionately) known around Ted's shop as the "Lunocet Butcher"! Being oversized and swimming daily in pools where I use walls to turn causes me to be most likely to expose any weaness in durability.

If yours lives long when it finally arrives it will be fortified where it needs to be.

Very recently I began swimming Noa's 2014 Pro replacing my own 2014 Classic Luno...... My first opportunity with the 70℅ larger flukes. One can transfer much more force through the larger flukes! The first two days I found the bolts securing the foot pads worked loose. It rattled me a bit because I've managed to sheer one of those about three years ago. Maybe the only one to be broken in that way.

Fixed that one by drilling it out and going one size over in the farm shop. In later models I've been more sensitive about torquing those and had no further problem till this one.

In response to your letter I checked again to take this photo. One side was loose again!.... So your letter improved the swim I'm about to take and possibly saved the bolt. Thanks!

Last week Ted said he had an idea to make it less likely a foot pad could rotate on the frame. Maybe Marco's is the only 2015 to get sent before that detail as mine has yet to arrive also.

Be certain to keep those screws TIGHT ANY WAY ! Suggest an extra long handled 5/32 Allen wrench if it's the same size as this one.
IMG_20140825_044419969.jpg
IMG_20140825_044229129.jpg

I am aware the only great answer is a Luno box in your mail.

Last edited:
Reactions: noa
I've actually had a tracking number since April 17th. ( i did just check and that tracking # is still dormant. Assigned but not moving.)

When Marco got his recently I got an encouraging text at the same time and figured we were on the same schedule. As it turns out I'm slightly behind for reasons partially of my own preferences. Having Noa's 'Ol Pro in the pool just a couple of weeks diffused my urgency a lot and I've conveyed that to Ted.

My concerns timing wise are much greater for those with no Luno to swim at this point. I'm absolutely entertained every swim so far with Noa's (now modified) fin.

Naturally, the arrival of the 2015s will be a huge shared relief and a special event.

You could call this exoed pro a logical link to the ones coming. I felt compelled to experience it for myself. I've nicknamed this one "Godzilla" based on the first few swims. It certainly has my attention and respect! BIG POWER!

GiraGoji.jpg
IMG_20140825_173601763.jpg

Last edited:
I know M! My hopes are with you!

We did build one other like mine through the mail for Doc. If this drags on much more pm me and I'll help you make one too if you'd like.

I know M! My hopes are with you!

We did build one other like mine through the mail for Doc. If this drags on much more pm me and I'll help you make one too if you'd like.
I'm afraid mine is probably too far gone to just contain it.... but I might take you up on that... I'll wait another "week" and see
Thanks, I apreciate it!

It would still work! Tire disc provides spring effect. Photo of flip side.
IMG_20140825_173317998.jpg
IMG_20140825_173353542.jpg

Last edited:
It would still work! Tire disc provides spring effect.
Thanks...
the hole is too big is there's too much play in the pivoting point so the aluminum parts chaff each other... that's why i stopped using the fin like 2 months ago (or more, can't remember... just know it was a lot of "next week" ago).

I can vouch that Chips's tire disc is a viable hack to the fin, pending the updated 2-pivot spring that has half the stress on the rubber holes. The new spring also has only three adjustment holes, providing more durability. I've been using the tire disc for a while now, as my spring was never up to the size of the original Pro flukes. Newest design should be far more balanced and not need the additional rubber from the disc!

Just back from morning swim. Really getting Noa's 'Ol Pro dialed in. Great for cruising and dashing. Took a few trips to figure out the dashing part. Mostly went fast this morning because it was real fun. Need to get a watch on it. Hooking up beautifully now. Feels like the best propulsion I've mustered so far. Hope the 2015's can be better yet. They will have to be really good to be better than this one.

In keeping with my theory that everything should be tightened till it breaks then backed off a sixteenth of a turn...... The ratchets on my Shimano Carbon shoes no longer tighten properly.... Teeth broken from lever. They do however stay tight once tightened. The Velcro straps (pictured) made double strong last night worked well as an adjunct. I like the shoes very tight to waste no power.
IMG_20140829_053257489.jpg
IMG_20140829_053504666.jpg

Very nicely done! I was hoping that would be a good fix for you. I've actually thought that the Velcro should be used beforehand, to enhance performance and take some of the load off the buckle/strap of the shoe.

First Review 2015 Lunocet Pro

From the very first time I spoke with Ted, I had a good conversation with him, of course I had a delay for shipping but finally I got the tracking Number. The journey started: from Nicholson to Atlanta to Miami to Frankfurt (Germany) then to somewhere in the middle of nowhere then to Nuremberg (just 75km/ 46miles away from me and then… to the custom duty office….
And after some useless time at this office, payment, finally the fin in my hands.

Including the package (30cmx30cmx10cm—11,8 x11,8x3,8inch) 2 Flukes, the mounted middle frame with spring and foot pedals, 4 screws + nut for the flukes and 6 screws for the shoes. All in 4mm hexagon socket.

The frame parts are really good compounded, without any ridges. Something what keeps my eye on was the the foot pedal…I don´t know how it was build in the older versions, but know are these a bit curved. Out of this reason I had to cut off my shoes a bit… well I have size EU-46 (US-11,5) . After this step; put the shoes on; adjust a bit the direction and ready. What all customers have to do, is to check the screw for the foot-pedals to the upper frame unit these are not enough tightened. Use Loctite and all will be fine.

Between the blue joint units and the upper frame unit is a bit space (~0,5mm-0,02 inch) in cross direction, to guard against scratching I put Teflon stripes around the blue units. On my Luno is the upper (direction to the shoes) axle of the joint not yet fixed. Ted told me prospective this will be fixed with E-clips. And of course he will send this feature also to me. As long I don´t have this feature I made a repair solution on my own. The flukes are not mirrored, so it doesn´t matter where to put it on. The complete Lunocet Pro2015 include mounted big shoes (we used to say child´s coffin J)has a weight of 2.7kg (5.9lbs)
For all to get an image about the size, i compare it to my treasure.
Inside the Water I don’t feel the weight, if you lay on the surface (no Saltwater) you slide slowly downward, but really slow!
Time to go into the water…
I used to “normal” Monofins and was deeply impressed how easy the handling (turning under Water) is compared to the big GFK plates…The Lunocet is going from the absolute beginning in let´s say irrotational flow, there´s no point where you to need to think about how to get in speed. And of course how comfortable are it is to use cycling shoes. My form is not the best came in my mind, after I felt how strong this fin is… I did some lines of 50m to get used to…unbelievable how much fun it makes when you fell the speed, and how easerly it is to take over other swimmers who started early, and you let them pass the 25m or also the 40m and you are the one who push at first the end of the 50m line….
As next I bought good glasses and this mid-head snorkel with nose clips and being now every day in water training my form. As soon one of my friends find time I will make some videos and pics under water to show how the movement of the flukes are and that everybody is able to maul about my swimming style
I need more time to test the different speed settings to be able to speak/judge about.

Will follow…

Nominee improvements:
-in upcoming parcels should be inside a *Instructor manual * backup plastic connectors cause these are the first which get fading
-4mm hex wrench

After all I was reading about the Lunocet and Ted Ciamillo I can just stand behind him and his Ideas and Production! What he´s doing is really an artisan work; I know what it means because I learned in a long apprenticeship in Germany the handcraft of a car-body and vehicle builder and being able to call myself a master craftsman. At time I work as an engineer in CAD …fine… This not existing apprenticeship in handcrafts what you need good employee`s in USA is something what doesn`t help the great master Ted Ciamillo behind this ideas. My suggestion is Ted should create his ideas, making Prototypes, has to find an investor, hold the majority and produce in big size! I don`think that this might be a big problem….
Thats all for now.
DSC05883.JPG
DSC05884.JPG
DSC05885.JPG
DSC05886.JPG
DSC05888.JPG
DSC05890.JPG
DSC05891.JPG

Thanks for the report Marco! You are the first in here to experience these details so your observations are greatly appreciated!

In keeping with my theory that everything should be tightened till it breaks then backed off a sixteenth of a turn...... The ratchets on my Shimano Carbon shoes no longer tighten properly.... Teeth broken from lever. They do however stay tight once tightened.
Hey Chip, I meant to mention this before--why don't you just use some Loctite on these screws? Sooner or later something's going to fail if you torque down as hard as you can like that, but unless there's a problem with using Loctite in water I'd pick up some blue or maybe even red Loctite and use that. That way you can just tighten it snug, or maybe a little more, and the Loctite will do the rest.

Reactions: Fredd
That fin is a thing of beauty. Now I really can't wait for it to arrive! *starts shaking* Thanks for the review and the photos, Marco. Looking forward to your videos.

I wonder if Ted has ever considered doing some sort of enclosure to mimic the vertical blade-like hydro-dynamics of the section of a dolphin's tail right in front of the flukes. Seems like it might be hard to do elegantly--you certainly wouldn't want to create something big and bulky that you must lock your feet into--but the payoffs in reduced resistance and lateral stability (I believe) would be worthwhile if it could be done, IMO. It might even be justified to slightly overlap the feet in order to reduce width. I was watching a dolphin in a video recently, and it makes sense that everything leading up to the actually flukes should cut through the water as much as possible even as the flukes create resistance. I intend to try it myself using sheet EPDM when I get the chance. Maybe just a few flaps that don't form a shell until water is putting pressure on them during a stroke, and then easily push out of the way when you go to remove your feet from the shoes...

Reactions: noa
Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT