• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

8:52 personal best experience

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
E' inutile dire che esistono altri professori universitari che la pensano in modo diverso da Malpieri se poi non si scrive anche cosa dicono e chi sono....

Giorgio,
ti prego vai o finirà di consumarti a furia di leccarti il culo.... :duh
E' incredibile come non provino alcuna vergogna!
:waterwork :vangry :ban :yack

Last edited:
Re: 8:52 personal best experience - and more

joefox said:
I tend to believe more Malpieri than Bill
Ha ha ha - yes probably - but I was just generally saying that we should not treat professors, doctors e t c like they are gods.

And yes I would like to speak italian - but most of all I would be very happy if some italians came to the World cups and joined us - lets change AIDA together. The Italians are needed. But that´s another topic.
joefox said:
I see that there are methods used in AIDA comps that here in Italy are considered dangerous by several researchers
Yes there are many unhealthy things done by freedivers - but it is a personal choice.

I would very much like to open a topic about BLOOD SPITTING and its causes. Are there any NEW experiences out there. I have experienced freediver friends spit blood at very shallow depths.

Sebastian
Sweden

Eric,

Was very supprised to see Mifsud do this thing. I had not bet on him at all , since i have whitnessed him in his last competition in France to do only 4:46min. Maybe breathing 45 mins of oxygen in the dressing room hahaha ;-) (joke , no insinuations intended).
My bets where on you or Timo.

New guy with 8+,

if you are serious a massive performance to which you should be very proud. Most of us dream of reaching those times and others do it after years of hard training. If you just want to be popular on this board with a nice story, than your a a sad person. But ... You got my benefit of the doubt. Have seen amazing things with absolute beginners.

hi people,

can someone help me translating jirgians post? this is what i understand:

quote:
"E' inutile dire che esistono altri professori universitari che la pensano in modo diverso da Malpieri se poi non si scrive anche cosa dicono e chi sono....
Giorgio,
ti prego vai o finirà di consumarti a furia di leccarti il culo....
E' incredibile come non provino alcuna vergogna!"

my translation:
"it is useles to say that there are other university professors that have different theories from malpieri if nobody writes what they say and who they are.
giorgio. please go away or it will end that he will kiss your ass so much that he will consume (?) it...
it's incredible that they don't feel ashamed at all!"

i'm usually amused by the posts of our italian freediving friends. but this sounds quite like an open insult. i, for one, don't feel ashamed at all.

@jrgian (red deep, gianfranco ciavarella):

also, from what i read on apneamagazine.com here are some comments:
1. i think you can ask eric f. directly if he really is "one of the heads of aida" as you claim.
2. herbert nitsch didn't breathe oxygen before his arch dive in the blue hole. i know because i was there.

@joefox:

i didn't understand that anyone here disregards your prof. malpieris expertise. i do understand that you disregard everyone elses expertise. there are more books than one.

lastly, i'm somewhat irritated that a thread is being twisted out of context into yet another one of those flame campaigns against aida.

get your act together, people, and chill out.

with the warmest and sincerest regards,

roland

ps: regarding the missile boy's static: good job, man. start browsing around on this website for some of the more valuable information you will ever find anywhere. :)

Nessuna campagna contro l'AIDA, non vi è alcun bisogno sanno fare tutto da soli.
Il problema non è fare cose contro ma fare cose per..
Ciò che ci distingue è cosa sia opportuno per l'apnea e gli apneisti e fra noi c'è un mare di distanza.

Per voi un ragazzino di 17 anni fa apnea da solo sul letto di casa e va in sincope e la cosa non vi scompone neanche un pò..
Vergognatevi!
L'apnea che volete è paragonabile al Wrestling, uno spettacolo senza regole che tutto è meno che uno sport.
Una roba dove tutto è consentito nel nome degli sponsor e del denaro.
Che schifo!

Gli insulti?
Mah???? è esattamente ciò che ho subito per anni dai signori dell'AIDA senza che neanche avessi mai rivolto loro la parola e senza che neanche sapessero cosa pensavo...
Fra dieci anni avrò restituito la metà di quelli ricevuti.

Last edited:
Bill,

Other athletes over 8'

Wet
Ryuzo 8'05"
Pipin (claimed 8'00")
Sebastien Murat 8'02"

Dry
Tyler Zetterstrom 8'07" (plus lots of apneas 7'30" - 7'55")

I did several long dry breath-holds: 8'00", 8'00", 8'06", 8'10", 8'20", but never more than 7'57" in the water.

Others have been close to 8' wet. I know that both Luc Gosselin and Pelizzari did 7'48" wet, perhaps Pelizzari has done more since then (1999)?

Gianfranco,

We have a lot of freedivers that belive that AIDA doing the right thing... or at least that we trying very hard. Freediving is dangerus... if you don't follow the rules. We had I a VERY good freediver, and italien instructor that end up in a fatal accident last week when he rescue a friend. People will never stop freedive and accidents will happen all the time with or without us... we just have to try harder to make it more safe. AIDA is trying hard with the knowledge end experience we have today. Maybe tomorrow we have a new system... or something that make deep freediving even more safe than today.

You will soon have a CW competition in Italy...

Have a nice weekend.
Bill

Re: 8:52 STA personal best experience

AIM-54C said:
This is my first post .... and live in Denver (5300' above sea level) .... I really don't know a whole lot on static apnea (I'm just a kid who likes swimming with his friends) but I would like to be able to do it better. Thank you for your time and for your comments.

I am 90 minutes north of you in Cheyenne (6300 ft. above sea level) and have been to a competition or two. If you want an spotter for your wet statics, I would happy to try to get together. I get down to Denver on occasion and go to the big pool at the Ritchie Center at DU. I have also been to the Ridge Pool in SW Denver with Jim Bartlett of this forum. There's also lots of pools in between, like Fort Collins.

Please, whatever you do, do not try to statics in a pool alone or by yourself- even with a guard present. Always practice wet statics with someone who knows what you're doing right at your side. More than one person has died doing wet statics on their own... usually people around your age.

My experience with dry statics is that when air escapes from the nose, I think a little air comes back in when the contractions happen. For me, dry statics with a nose clip is much different than without any nose restriction. I think it's possible to go a long time with micro-breaths- little, tiny, almost unnoticeable inhales. Just my observation....

Peace,
Glen
Cheyenne, Wyoming

What I know, Umbertos pb is 7.59. Pipin did 8'15" in a chamber(last breath at -10 and then they slowly took him up) ...and this was 1 min better than he did without the chamber. Soo Murat did 8'02" ...not 9'02" that someone said. ...well we will see how good he is in Renens later. He did over 8 min in the Swizz-selection already 1999.

soo the list is like:

1. Tom Sietas 10'08"
2. Karl Pernett 8'48"
3. Kristian Curavic 8'32"
4. Timo Kinnunen 8'29"
5. Stephan Mifsud 8'28"
6. Herbert Nitsch 8'27"
7. Alejandro Ravelo 8'25" <-- where did you get this from, Eric?
8. Martin Štìpánek 8'15"
9. Stig Severinsen 8'10"
10. Dominique Ventzke 8'07"
11. Ryuzo Shinomiya 8'05"
12. Sebastien Murat 8'02"

...nice list for Monaco next year.. :ko

/B

Bill,

Rudi Castineyra was telling me about Alejandro's training way back in 1999. Alejandro has had some performances which were far ahead of their time. According to Rudi, Alejandro's personal bests:
8'25" in wet static in 1999, when the WR was 7'35"
CW: 81.5m in 3'35" with bifins, in 1996 (!!!!)

Alejandro also once managed a 3'00" static followed by 125m dynamic with a samba.

I find this young man's capacity to communicate at the level he does as incredible (in the actual meaning of the word) as the reported static time. I know a few 17 year olds, a few very intelligent (for their age) ones, and none of them can write like Missile boy.
I remain sceptical, not that it makes a whole lot of difference in the world.
Peace,
Erik Y.

First off, thank you all for your replies, I am glad to receive them and find them helpful. I didn't realize how many posts would pop up after I went to bed, so I will try to answer as much as possible. I guess I will go down through the posts and try to answer them that way to make it easier.

Starting with the post from cebaztian:
My name is Chris, and to clear up any confusion, I said that I had contractions once every two seconds, not twice a second. And regarding my will power, all my friends think I have incredible will power (I think my will power is above average, but I am modest). I will always challenge my friends to endurance events, one time I consecutively beat two of my friends in a single staring contest lasting over eleven minutes, and I was completely comfortable with it not blinking for that long. I have a high pain tolerance as well, my friends also find that incredible as well. I am the skinniest of my friends (who all are super ripped) and as much as I try to fight them they won't fight me because they know that I will not give up. Anyway, back on topic, for me, static apnea is just a mind game and the only thing you have to do is have your mind control your body. Body says 'breathe', mind says 'no'. That’s why I like it.

Post from Polorutz: I am very new to static apnea, and have never even tried it in water, but my average time now is always around five minutes, with my previous pb being slightly higher. I remember my pb when I was twelve was 2'45", and then went to 3'19" a few years later, and at the end of last year, was 4'26". I would like to know from the rest of you
about how much time is there between your pb and your average time? The jump that I gained seems suprising, but since I haven't talked to anybody about static apnea before this, I don't have an average from other people.

Post from island_sands:
Yes I am plane/weapon mad as well. The AIM-54C is my favorite missile partly because of its connection to the F-14 Tomcat, and on every other forum my name is always AIM-54C.

Post from jpelorat:
For me, I think that concentration is the most important thing in static apnea. After I did this attempt, I realized that I had never been more committed to anything in my entire life. It seemed like every part of by being was geared towards not stopping. I think that the 'white noise' trick helps me because it helps me not think about the task at hand.

Post from cebaztian:
Well thank you for thinking that I am articulate (being that I just turned seventeen four days ago), I just believe that posting is the same as talking to someone, and I don't need to add all the j/ks and LOL, or ttyl acronyms that some people don't know. Sometimes I find it hard to read other people’s posts when they have a bunch of mistakes everywhere, and I try to avoid that. Anyway, I don't have much of a background and have never competed with anyone besides friends. Being relatively new to this, I don't know my lung capacity, but I can say that my diet before the breathhold was mostly cake (birthday) and milk but that was at least six hours before the breathhold. I actually had the plan to stay up all night in a contest with a friend (to see who could stay up the longest) I had only been up for sixteen and a half hours, and it was 2:45 AM and I got bored and decided to see how long I could hold my breath. I had been in my room then for several hours and hadn’t moved much at all, which I think helped some.

Post from glennv:
I am the kind of person who doesn't believe everything I hear as well, and I can say that if I only had my watch, I would have believed that it was malfunctioning, but since the second clock in my room showed the same time, I believed what had happened. If you knew me in person, you would know that I try to get the least amount of attention as possible, and all my friends hate me for it, because I never brag, and I never lie. I gave up lying completely in March, and all my friends know that is the truth. You can ask me any question, and I will always give the truthful answer.

Post from ggarrett:
Thank you for your concern about statics, I have never done statics wet before and I don't see myself immediately starting them in the near future.

Post from Erik:
I don't know if tour post was written with some sarcasm or not (hard to read sarcasm). I am referring the part about about

"as incredible (in the actual meaning of the word) as the reported static time."

If it was a pun on the prefix 'in-' I really don't see the point of questioning the credibility of my writing skills. I don't know why I brought this up, but if I am wrong please forgive me.

Thank you all for your posts and comments.
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: cebaztian
Missile boy, I think you were very hyper ventilated. For me when I get tingles, it is a bad static. I also think you did a bo or LMC. Anyway 8+ is great ! What is important is how did you train to do this? So your previous pb was a little more than 5' and then you did 8' + !!!!! Sounds crazy to me ...
You say you did 8+ at 2:45 am ? Were you tired ?

Eric F., Mifsud didn't make a few steps backward for the king to see him. It is absurd. I have seen Mifsud doing other statics and he often make a few steps backward when he stands up, face in water, just before stopping his apnea. And it's not the first time that he claps his hand, he already did it before in competition.
I think you don't know well Monaco ... we king isn't that important.
I think that if the banket promoted only Mifsud it's because he is a friend of Frolla and lives just a few miles away from him ... it was easy to get some video footage.
When I asked Mifsud why he didn't try to brake the WR of 8:58 he said that he had to perform a clean static in respect for Frolla.
And yes he never did more than 8:28 in training cause I think he never does max statics attempts in training .... that's his way of training (to be confirmed though).

Last edited:
A jump from a PB of 5 minutes to something close to 9 minutes would be unprecedented and inexplicable. Bear in mind that 5 minutes is a very good performance, especially from someone your age. Most people do not go beyond 6 minutes without a lot of specific training.
As to what happened, it could well be that you fell asleep during the apnea (happens often), started breathing again, then woke up and continued the apnea. Given the time of day and your insomnolence this could easily pass unnoticed. As could a blackout either at the start (due to being excessively hypocapnic) or end (hypoxic) of the apnea. I remember a dry exhale static where I blacked out, breathed whilst unconscious, then woke up and continued holding my breath, gazing with amazement at the incredible time on the chronometer.
Easiest way to find out is to have another attempt, but get someone to watch you. If you break 7 minutes with a witness then you could have an extraordinary natural talent.
Prove us sceptics wrong!

I agree with Will. You were probably tired and something like this may have happened to you.

Chris,

The simplest solution to the dilemma would be to try again a few times!

Going for 8+ hours without eating, then trying it late at night, often produces the best results, especially without physical activity or exercise for 24h prior.

congrats! i can't get anywhere near that now .. doubt i ever will.. but i love hearing how others have

Billextreme said:
1. Tom Sietas 10'08"
2. Karl Pernett 8'48"
3. Kristian Curavic 8'32"
4. Timo Kinnunen 8'29"
5. Stephan Mifsud 8'28"
6. Herbert Nitsch 8'27"
7. Alejandro Ravelo 8'25" <-- where did you get this from, Eric?
8. Martin Štìpánek 8'15"
9. Stig Severinsen 8'10"
10. Dominique Ventzke 8'07"
11. Ryuzo Shinomiya 8'05"
12. Sebastien Murat 8'02"
/B

Eric/Bill

What is the lung volume of these guys. That would be intresting to see and contemplate.

Sebastian
Sweden

All of those guys have at least 10L (Timo 12.6L), except for Ryuzo, 8.95L. I think Ryuzo reaches the longest static time in terms of lung volume to body mass ratio, i.e. greatest oxygen efficiency.

The leap from 5 to almost 9 seems so incredible, that I'd be inclined to go with the "passing out between" theory. Something similar has happened to me, especially with heavy hyperventilation (and tingling fingers imply very heavy hyperventilation. At least for me personally way too much to do a max time)...Anyway, if you really did that time, then it is absolutely fantastic and revolutionary. If this was without packing, even more so! (as Eric pointed out, at least I'm not aware of any performances over 8 minutes without packing). If you can repeat that, then we'll know, but please have somebody watch over you. Doing such long apneas, even dry, could be dangerous. It would also remove any doubt about passing out and breathing in between...

Wow, Kike did 8:32? didn't know that...

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT