• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

8:52 personal best experience

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
wolleneugebauer said:
sorry friends, but I am shure also...
No chance that a beginner can do an clear 8 minute static. Never...
chris had a simply black out.

I coached very often beginners (and advancers) and pushed them controlled still the end (and further...)
After, I had often crazy discussions because they did`n`t believed that they had black outs.

Absolutely agreed.

In fact just yesterday I myself had my first ever blackout doing a negative static in the pool. Luckily I had my buddy Greg (commonerg) there and he pulled me out. I was shooting for 2:00 (having done 2:15 negative before), I remember giving the OK signal at 1:00, 1:15, 1:30 and at this point I was still feeling really good, not much urge to breath. Next thing and without even realizing it my mind wondered into a dream about things completely unrelated to what I was doing. Afterwards I feel Greg pulling me out of the water and I am thinking; Why is he pulling me out? I am feeling fine!. That's when he told me I had blacked out, he had even seated me down on the pool step and blown air into my face; yet I absolutely did not remember anything at all. As far as I was concerned I was on my way to a 3 minute negetive.... Like I said it came without ANY warning, I didn't have the urge to breath, and couldn't even remember afterwards. One issue that I have is that I NEVER get contractions so I really have no way to measure how much farther I can push it, aside from the typical burning in the chest. I hyperventilated but not really that much, about 3-4 breaths right before going under. The only thing I had done different was that I had a very short recovery time from a "failed previous attempt" where I had to come up and I did a very short breath-up followed by the 3-4 deep breaths and under (about 30 sec of elapsed time).

Anyway moral of the story: GET A BUDDY AT ALL TIMES
Thanks Greg! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: naiad
Merlin, I'm glad to know that you are OK. It's scary to have your first blackout!

Negative statics are a particularly good way to black out. I still don't feel like doing them in the pool! I once did about 3:15 passive exhale (dry) and guess what happened.

I also often don't get contractions, and this makes it a lot easier to push it too far.

Lucia

Reactions: Merlin
hi merlin,

why do you hyperventilate before a neg static? very little o2 creates very little co2 and if you blow off co2 beforehand...

good that your buddy knows what he is doing ;)

roland

naiad said:
Merlin, I'm glad to know that you are OK. It's scary to have your first blackout!
I'm also glad that Irian is ok and I'll add my vantage point for the sake of furthering our knowledge of BOs. The more we know the safer we are.

At 1:00 and beyond I was tapping Irian every 15 seconds. After the "ok" sign at 1:30, he pushed his head a bit higher in the water holding his nose and mouth just below the water line. It looked like he was just playing a mental game with himself, getting ready for a quick breath, as if he was just muscling through the last few seconds. I tapped Irian again at 1:45 and got no reaction so I tapped again much harder... still nothing. I pulled him up and struggled to hold his much larger body upright. With my right hand supporting his back and neck, I pulled off his goggles, gave his face a little wind and a few reassuring "You're alrights" (more reassuring to me). I sat him on the underwater ledge of the pool where he came-to. When he woke up he said (very confused) "You know, I didn't even blackout". Though, after some time, I managed to convince him that he did indeed blackout.

Blackouts are both scary and empowering at the same time. If a blackout doesn't cut off your interest in apnea all together, they only make you train harder, smarter, and most importantly... safer.

Good luck everyone. And to our new friend from Denver... keep working hard and exploring your limits. 8:52 or not, I am impressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: naiad
commonerg said:
Blackouts are both scary and empowering at the same time. If a blackout doesn't cut off your interest in apnea all together, they only make you train harder, smarter, and most importantly... safer.
They have taught me a few lessons! I think every effort should be made to avoid them, but inevitably they do happen in 'pushing the limits' situations.

Lucia

Greg, now that you mention it I do remember holding my nose now and you are right it was a "mind game". I feel more confortable with my nose blocked.

Roland, will try your wise advise (as usual) ;)

Chris,

It should be interesting to know what other sports you have been training?
Or do you only play computer games :)
If you get some advice I think you could reach 6 min very soon, without BO ;)

This is how my development looks like since I started with freediving.
12 years, 2.30, 13 years 3.40, 14 years 4.15, 15 years 5.30, 16 years (birthday 16 May) 5.50 (dry static). PB in water is 5.10 soo far...

Keep training!

Tobias
SWE

quote : "perhaps we'll see you at the next world statics"

Are you competing Sara-Lise?

Often there is a kind of suspension of breath - but a subtle exchange is still taking place - in other words - it wouldn't work underwater :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT