• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A competition you can't miss... Oktober 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Can someone tell me how will CMAS calculate static points?

I doubt that 1pts per 2sec is correct.
Well, it depends how the other disciplines are rated. For example at the last French CMAS (resp. FFESSM) championship, the rating was 1 point per second in STA, 1 point per 10 centimeters in DYN, and 0.8 points per 10 centimeters in DNF. So STA was deeply under-rated. Perhaps they decided decreasing the rating further, while keeping similar rating for DYN and DNF - note that the rating was per decimeter (10 cm), not per meter! And yes, they indeed measure the results to the tenth of meter (well, in fact to 1/100th [cm], which is extremely unprecise, individual for every judge and/or competitor, and often very unfair). I do not know though if the same rating for DYN/DNF will take place in Italy too. Ah, in fact I think there will be no DNF here, or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Trux, actually if I have seen this correctly, the 1pts in dynamic will be awarded for 1m.
So that will put static overrated to the roof... actually I have no problem with that ;) but I think that will just not be the case...
Any yes, CMAS will not have DNF... well at least I thin so. Anyone knows for sure?

Hmm, an invasion eh.... I wish our airforce hadn't sold the last of its planes. But our two frigates might give them a run for their money!

We've already been having a think about this.... here is a clip on an Oz tv show where two marketing agencies had to put forward their pitch for an "Invade New Zealand Day"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzaXmHNOydg]YouTube - The Gruen Transfer Wednesdays at 9pm on ABC1[/ame]

Reactions: apneaboy
After the CMAS competition filled up months out from the event, the turn out for the AIDA event has been very slow - pretty embarrassing for our athletes considering it is the first such competition with prize money and live coverage...

I think it's a bit comparing different circomstances.

CMAS competitors, I've heard get starting money and/or money to cover (some of) the expences.
Maybe some AIDA athletes consider themselves not worthy or without any chance of winning at a such high level glamourus competitition.
Maybe the apperant economic downturn weights heavy on some of the athletes ability to participate.
Perhabs CMAS has a better top-down communication to reach the potential participant.
Maybe als the last minute approch many AIDA athletes have twards competitions.
And lastly, not least, I think that CMAS has more compeditive freedivers.

How many AIDA spot's are still there?

How is your training going Will?

What can I say just sign up people, you can always cancel when you feel like chickening out :D

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
Wouldn't the CMAS athletes mostly be from Italy and the Med? I'd guess the AIDA athletes would be spread a bit more widely so would find it more difficult to attend. I'd love to go but it's just not possible for me.

Wouldn't the CMAS athletes mostly be from Italy and the Med? I'd guess the AIDA athletes would be spread a bit more widely so would find it more difficult to attend. I'd love to go but it's just not possible for me.
I'd second this as the likely reason. Flights + accomodation + other expenses + loss of revenue (I'm a contractor, so no paid leave) means the prize money would have to be through the roof to make it worthwhile, even assuming I won...

I'd rather save up for some deep diving next year and for the individual world champs. I suspect I'm not the only one thinking this way.

I think it's a bit comparing different circomstances.

CMAS competitors, I've heard get starting money and/or money to cover (some of) the expences.
Maybe some AIDA athletes consider themselves not worthy or without any chance of winning at a such high level glamourus competitition.
Maybe the apperant economic downturn weights heavy on some of the athletes ability to participate.
Perhabs CMAS has a better top-down communication to reach the potential participant.
Maybe als the last minute approch many AIDA athletes have twards competitions.
And lastly, not least, I think that CMAS has more compeditive freedivers.

Wrong on all counts: circumstances are exactly the same.
No starting money, expenses covered for top 4 athletes in CMAS and top 4 in AIDA. Everything is identical between the two camps.
There is an AIDA prize and CMAS prize so guaranteed winners in both camps.
There are more competitive divers in AIDA, and it is cheaper to fly to Venice from London, Copenhagen and many other European cities than it is to fly from Rome, Naples etc.

I didn't get an invite unless you count that my name was on the invite list on the press release, which doesn't really count as an invite if you ask me. How does one define the top four AIDA divers anyway? Maybe you have to be male.

It's unlikely that anyone from this part of the world would bother. Roughly 36hrs of travelling either way, at least another week off work (when we only get 4 weeks per year), huge jetlag and prize money that would only cover about half the airfares. Also, people are probably resting or struggling to get more time off after the recent, rather prolonged AIDA world champs. If I lived in Europe I'd be there.

It does sound like a good idea and a fairly well organised comp though. We have problems in NZ when our comps get too top heavy and the new guys get psyched out despite doing pretty well on world standards. Maybe the list of names has put the average divers off. I'd like to see an in-list rather than just a list of some random high achievers.

Wrong on all counts: circumstances are exactly the same.
No starting money, expenses covered for top 4 athletes in CMAS and top 4 in AIDA...
This is not quite true. At least not for French CMAS (well, FFESSM) competitors, I do not know how is it for Italians, or other Med nations. The French federation FFESSM is quite supportive toward competing and rather generous, and we get financial support for attending practically any competitions organized by the FFESSM. You get the support from FFESSM even if you do not rank at all, and even if you are disqualified. Well, it rarely covers 100% of the costs, but it is certainly welcome. The members of the national team representing the federation abroad get much more financial, material, and organizational support, of course.

Then, also clubs usually have some funds available to help competitors with covering their spendings. Our club, for example has around 50 members, and only handful among them use to compete. So although the yearly fee covering the federal license, pool access (5 hours a week), insurance, dedicated life guard, sofrology courses, and other expenses, is quite moderate (below 200€), there is still enough remaining to support couple of competitors.

As for AIDA, it can be certainly done too. All it takes is couple of skilled, willing, and communicative persons on the level of clubs, and national AIDA branches. Increasing slightly federation and club membership fees, contacting companies for sponsorship, offering them advertisement during competitions and on websites, contacting municipal and regional authorities for some funding, and for access to their pools and facilities - all that can be done, and can generate moderate but sufficient amount for funding not only attending and organizing competitions, but also for training. It is exactly what our club president does. Similarly it works then on the departmental, regional, and national level in the federation.

Last edited:
Thanks Trux for filling us in on the club and federation support many CMAS members have.

And Katfish it's not just you didn't get an invitation, your dynamic and static is really top-class!

With my modest pb's I don't feel this is a competition for me, especially with big publicity like Live TV coverage.
Many freedivers are not submerged in money, recession strikes the hardest on the middle class and poor. So one has to choose which events one can attent. Pool or depth? And as Katherin mentions, because of a limited vacationdays.

Katherin I also hope to see a complete starting list!

Anyway everybody have a great competition, show us some fire!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

ps Will I hope you'll do your 200+ this time!

I'm not there unfortunately! I was just helping the organisers publicize the event.
I am back in the Bahamas already, and we start tomorrow with the first Vertical Blue Master Class.

Hey it's on live now! I just heard some DB users names mentioned

Alexey Molchanova just did a WR 250m!!!!! Dive time 3.41

Bill Stomberg is there judging and there is some commentaryin English, this is soo cool!!!

Yes, Natalia did 214m - and looked very clean...

[ame="http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ae-channel1"]AE-Channel1 on USTREAM: .@@AMEPARAM@@cid=236785@@AMEPARAM@@236785[/ame]

Morten

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT