• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A competition you can't miss... Oktober 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The Streaming isn't so fluid here, but it's nice to see my friends and aquaitances on video performing!
I'trying to see the recorded show, And have seen Andrea Richichi, Elisabeth Kristoferson and Barbera Jersche, Marting Müller, and now I see Ulf Dextegen prepairing. When are the Molchanova's on?

Maybe someone can record the streaming recording and put it on a server for the less fortunate to download, it's rather challenging to enjoy the interupted italian and pixelated dropped frames.

Thanks!

And A big congradulations to the Molchanova's! Alexey you really suppriced me with your big leap forwards! And your first World Record?! isn't it?!

Love, Couragen and Water,

Kars.

Last edited:
I've seen it too on the streaming tv website. Bill Strömberg call out it's an official world record. I guess you can email Bill S or Pim Vermeulen, the two AIDA Judges present to verify.

On the other hand the streaming connection does not work nicely here. But having live video for a competition is a big jump anyway!

Kars

Natalia DYN 214m or something like that, I was watching from other side of the pool.

Alex DYN 250m, crazy dive... 3:41min... just crazy :)

Big congratulations to booth of them... and Stig for his great performance, he do not train for a year and then do 214m and 7:28min static... great stuff.

CMAS French guy, I just can't remember the name sorry, with 223m dive... great!

And of course 1000€ for me so I'm quite happy to ;)

Reactions: island_sands
How were the freedivers invited for this event? I only really heard about it a month or so out.

What was the final number of competitors?

Goran, are you serious??? Well done! Tell us about it!!!

Are there any results up anywhere? I was watching Barbara Jeschke and Elisabeth Kristoffersen go head to head, when Barbara came up at 125m they forgot about Elisabeth so we didn't see any results, anyone see how she went? Martin Muller? And everyone else for that matter. It looked like a brilliant comp.

Are there any results up anywhere? I was watching Barbara Jeschke and Elisabeth Kristoffersen go head to head, when Barbara came up at 125m they forgot about Elisabeth so we didn't see any results, anyone see how she went? Martin Muller? And everyone else for that matter. It looked like a brilliant comp.

i have only stig 215, martin wickstrom 201

CMAS French guy, I just can't remember the name sorry, with 223m dive... great!
That was Frederic Sessa, from Sête. A new French star that appeared out of the blue (well, he was a swimming champion before) this year on the French FFESSM championship, and broke several French records (under FFESSM/CMAS). Now, with his 214 m from this competition, he not only set new CMAS world record (if I do not mistake), and a new FFESSM national record, but his performance was also better than the current DYN AIDA national record of 213 m by Stephane Mifsud. I am curious if AIDA shows now more tolerant toward CMAS than vice versa and recognizes his performance as French national record too ;) The difference in rules ans surface protocol should not play a role in this way (unlike oppositely), because CMAS rules are actually mostly stricter (no signs of samba allowed).

Otherwise, congratulation to Alexey Molchanov, Natalia Molchanova, Fred Sessa, and all others to their amazing performances!

How were the freedivers invited for this event? I only really heard about it a month or so out.
Hm, this thread was started four months ago, and in the same (10th June) time it was also published on the frontage of AIDA's website. And it was discussed many times in the meantime, since it was a rather exceptional and history breaking competition. Not only because of the rewards, but especially because it was double AIDA/CMAS competition! I wonder how someone who regularly visits DeeperBlue or AIDA-International could have miss it for so long. I am not sure if AIDA uses to send invitations to all their member for every competition, but I would tell that they tried to promote this even quite a bit. Despite it, the number of AIDA competitors was rather low.

Well yep, Alexei took 1000€ in AIDA part of competition, with 7:33min static and well known 250m, and me with humble 209m dynamic and 7:28m static in CMAS part of competition... And don't start about CMAS I know all :)

Others results, I apologize if i state something wrong here, but from my memory, Elisabet did about 115m dynamic on second attempt I did not realize what happened in the first.. Martin Muller, I don't know him, but if he is that blond guy then he did around 150m and nice static around 7min but I'm not sure sorry...

There was a relative new guy for me, in AIDA part, a big guy from Denmark I think Ulf... something, I really don't remember the names sorry, he did 7:47min and 200m with a funny jump in the pool from the wall..

There was a lot of nice dives, bunch of 175's 6-7 200's or more... 6-7 guys over 7min in static... so it was really great to watch and be there...

Last edited:
Have to say. I visit DB quite regulary and I almost also missed this thread (been following it for only one week now). Really unfortunate somehow... as this seems to have been one extraordinary comp.

I also missed the live feed as I wasn´t home this weekend. Hope it comes available on youtube or somewhere. :/

-J

Several points... sorry I don't quote all your previous questions.

Natalya swam DYN.

Competitors: Most of the present and recent AIDA WR holders
were listed on the website of the event... not clear if they were
invited I assume so. Note that the list includes CMAS and AIDA.
I count 15 men and 5 women. Yes Kathryn it's a shame you were
not listed... actually Dave and Alexei neither.
True I was also a little afraid that I would have to compete next
to a dozen WR holders... In the end "only" Stig, Natalia and Alexei
were there for AIDA among the really big names.
For the rest, it was a normal AIDA competition for which everybody
was free to register. I remember seeing it on the AIDA calendar some
months ago.

Pity it was under-represented for AIDA (about 15 out
of a maximum of 40). CMAS was overbooked - yes most of the CMAS
were italians so it was obvious.

The official results are not out yet, Alessandro the chief organizer says
on the AA forum that he has to wait for the official list from AIDA,
but I guess they will be published by today.

To complete the DYN results given above; Barbara did 125m on her
second attempt. The first one was aborted by her, and she got a
second try, because of some mess with her starting lane. Ilaria
did 131m (she just started again in the pool after a long break, and
after the 100m in Sharm where she got a red card for a naive mistake
in the SP). Goran I think you mixed up the two swedish athletes:
Martin (bald, muscular) did 201m new NR. The other guy "blonde"
is Ulf, who did a very decent DYN and especially a great 7:47 STA.
Martin Muller is german and did not start (sick).

In my pictures I also show the final results for STA.

Let's not forget: NO BLACKOUTS AT ALL :)

Last edited:
Well yep, Alexei took 1000€ in AIDA part of competition, with 7:33min static and well known 250m, and me with humble 209m dynamic and 7:28m static in CMAS part of competition... And don't start about CMAS I know all :)
Congrats, Goran! I am surprised though you started in the CMAS part. Didn't you compete in DYN / STA on any AIDA comeptition this year? Or was the rule disqualifying such competitors abolished? It was still used a few weeks ago in Turkey. And since when actually does CMAS competitions in statics? FFESSM did, but it was not a CMAS discipline.

If someone is interested, here is the splits for Alexei's 250m DYN.

50, 0'42"
100, 1'28"
150, 2'13"
200, 2'58"
250, 3'41"

Nice and Clean!

Barbara(125m) and Elisabeth(110m) had both a re-start because of coundown error.

There where some "problem" about the CMAS status of this competition, and it's not sure that Mr.Sessa super nice 223,65 meters DYN dive will be new official WR for CMAS. They did not have any international judges, there was no doping test taken after the dive and they used the National FIPSAS rules and not the International CMAS rules . BUT maybe FIPSAS have some "trix" to make this dive official anyway.

Have a nice day
/B

If someone is interested, here is the splits for Alexei's 250m DYN.
For comparison, Sessa was doing about 31-32" per 50m - remember without weights. Also interesting to note that his warm-up consisted in swimming freestyle for about 20 minutes with the mono on (!)

The point about WR status of Sessa's attempt is very interesting. Another interesting subject is what actually happened during Lidya Lilic (sorry for spelling) attempt. A clean 150m+, with some strange disqualification.

In case some one is wondering what the current CMAS WR is: 209 meters by Michele Tomasi (so Goran equalled that, congratulations). Michele himself swam "only" 199 meters, but actually he had forgotten his neckweight and was obviously angry about that - he did not complete SP. Next day, out of the competition but with cameras on, he did a clean 207.

Well yep, Alexei took 1000€ in AIDA part of competition, with 7:33min static and well known 250m, and me with humble 209m dynamic and 7:28m static in CMAS part of competition...

Are you taking the piss Goran? Humble my ass well done on a great performance.

Congrats, Goran! I am surprised though you started in the CMAS part. Didn't you compete in DYN / STA on any AIDA comeptition this year? Or was the rule disqualifying such competitors abolished? It was still used a few weeks ago in Turkey. And since when actually does CMAS competitions in statics? FFESSM did, but it was not a CMAS discipline.

Another interesting subject is what actually happened during Lidya Lilic (sorry for spelling) attempt. A clean 150m+, with some strange disqualification.

First thank you, then, no, I did not compete under AIDA in DYN or STA this year, but even if I compete, this was no CMAS competition, but FIPSAS. So no CMAS rules or judges was there. So therefore, there will be no problem even if I compete under AIDA. This was FIPSAS rules and organisation, that was open for CMAS competitors.

And for Lidija Lijić, she was disq for not thuching the wall on start, that stays unclear because there is no way (at least that is what main judge tell to me, Lidija and Bill) for FIPSAS judge to make a mistake, so logical ther is no way to protest and to see the video, and ofcourse there is no way to make a protest at all. Not to mention that judges did not let her finish the protocol at all, so even if all above was possible, there is no meters to mesure the dive, and no protocol was done... But... like someone told me, that's actually fine, because judge can not make a mistake.

Last edited:
Yep Feargus summed it up nicely for me there.. well done Goran!

I tell you, it'll be a sad day when we think that 200+m DYN dives are ordinary for comp!

Well done Goran. I saw your static - it looked easy! Must say that I had to give up on watching the dynamics due to the time difference (already well past my bedtime on a school night).

I guess there can be many things said about this competition, but I'm not sure if it will do any good. I was really not happy with the way the names of the "stars" were used to promote the competition, even though they had not agreed, had not recieved any invitation etc. I had signed up, but not got any reply, even though I sent another email. Martin and I only got on the in-list thanks to Bill S. for contacting the right man...

It was a pitty we were so few AIDA athletes, as a big part of a competition is also the social part. And it was a pitty I don't speak italian, because this made it hard to make new friends among the italian CMAS freedivers.

Now I'm done with that! All in all it was a very nice, well organiced and friendly competition. I think it's great that we're taking the first steps towards CMAS.
There were some great performances which I found really inspiring. Congratulations guys (and girls)!

PS: For a blogpost about the competition: www.elisabethfreediver.blogspot.com.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT