• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA Indoor Freediving World Championship 2009 - Århus

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
At original video Natalia and Kathryn started at count 9. After cutting of large chunk from the begin shit happened. MJPG is not good format for editing. :(
Yes I thought there was something strange. Thanks for clarification.

If you cannot stand ~3 minutes underwater without goggles, then you deserve the biggest "chicken" badge
No problem in the sea, but in the pool usually it's hell. Then Linda would give me red card for PBSRE, pre-blackout swollen red eyes.

Without goggles I can totally relax as long as I don`t move. Once water flows over my eyes everything goes bad. I get somekind of weird reflex in my throat. I`ve tried for hours and hours, but I can`t get them away. The sollution for me when diving deep with noseclip is to just use normal goggles and fill them with water.
BTW I think freshwater in long term will be bad for the eyes. After a pooltest for professional rescuedivers my vision became blury for more than 12 hours. Happened to some of the other guys too. I estimate our eyes were exposed less than two hours to the water.

Having the world championship in my home town at the moment might affect my opinions, but I still think this was one of the best freediving events I have been a part of. As an athlete, everything seemed to work close to perfect and the organizing team, the safetydiver team and the judges were all doing a great job.

I was competing in all three disciplines and made it to three finals, so I had a rather exhausting four days. Maybe in the future we will see a different kind of schedual to give the athletes more rest and possibly not TWO max attempts in one day. Anybody else have a comment on this?

I totally agree. Fabulous comp! I also competed in three disciplines and made 5 max dives within 4 days, so atleast a day of rest in between wouldn´t have hurt.

If you cannot stand ~3 minutes underwater without goggles, then you deserve the biggest "chicken" badge from Linda that she can find. I'll have to tell her, I think she'd be happy to know it about you.

thanks trux, but i know all about rxcnc2 pussiness already. plus i'm still very upset with you about your very rude email. you deserve the piss off badge!

thanks trux, but i know all about rxcnc2 pussiness already. plus i'm still very upset with you about your very rude email. you deserve the piss off badge!
I had it already! So I've prepaid for my rudeness.

Forever in forehead! I just curious why safety and judges team so kind sometimes...

B-J are using a triton for DYN wich angle did you asked looks like you a small back bend although it's minor, anyway I'm just curious

by the way congrats for the DNF performance

Forever in forehead! I just curious why safety and judges team so kind sometimes...
That's simple - you just need to bribe them sufficiently with chocolate, cakes, or promises of delivering husbands to them! I did the mistake that I offered the bribes openly in the public, and had to make quite complicate maneuvers to avoid the pissed off judge. Fortunately, I had the most gentle judge, whom additionally I bribed with couple of beers at a previous competition.

B-J are using a triton for DYN wich angle did you asked looks like you a small back bend although it's minor, anyway I'm just curious
By the way congrats for the DNF performance

Thanks Titan. It is a triton yes, but I don`t know what angle I have. I didn`t specify anything. But I should have had a bit more:) Some of the guys far away from the camera (in the uw-film of the A-final) really has beautiful technique. Fully streched out.

YAp this wc was like Glide contamineted made me think ohh crap shouldn't have ordered a triton but I asked katherin about hers and she said she liked it, I ordered mine with 28 degree your should be standard 25 degree it should be here when I arrived from aarhus but I won't have in time for my sunday get away at Spain :mad:

Hi guys, managed to get onto the web at last, spending a couple of days in rural Italy before heading back to work in wintry New Zealand.

Just wanted to add my agreement to all the comments about the WC: incredibly well organised without losing any of the 'big family' atmosphere you hope to find when freedivers get together.

The thousands of voluteer hours were very evident in the quality and professionalism in everything at the event, from the safety diving, the food, judging, commentary, underwater footage, speed of results etc. Kudos!

Personally I made a bunch of friends and acquaintances at both Nordic Deep then Aarhus. First overseas comps for me personally, and I now feel more connected to a bunch of people I'd only heard about. Real honour to compete with great champions like Carlos Coste for example.

Pleased with how I went obviously, although I was very tired by the end - didn't sleep much for some reason over the last three or four nights. Wasn't sure how I'd go after my lung squeeze at Nordic Deep, was still painful packing during early stages of the comp. For the qualifying static I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do 5 minutes, let alone qualify. After the STA heat, knowing my body was cooperating, the static final was relatively comfortable: I found a very deep place to visit and would have tried for a substantial PB if it were an ordinary comp.

DYN was a lot harder, as it always is for me (as you can tell my non existant technique). I had designs of trying to push out a baby WR past 250m, but there was no way on the day, I was far too tired. I'd also be interested in hearing my dive time if anyone got it, think it was under 5 min though. Given my speed, I'll buy a softer fin when I can justify another freediving toy.

Congrats to Natalia, BJ, Kathryn & Suzy, and all the other competitors who gave their best.

Ciao,
Guy

Last edited:
First overseas comps for me personally
ciao Guy,
it would be great to see more of you outside NZL! We sure have a lot to learn from your "visits to deep places" in static!
And personally I hope you enjoyed rural Italy too... :)

I'd also be interested in hearing my dive time if anyone got it, think it was under 5 min though.

I was timing you, Guy, and if I remember it correctly it was around 4 min 35 sec.... Miha

Hi guys, managed to get onto the web at last, spending a couple of days in rural Italy before heading back to work in wintry New Zealand.

Guy, you owe it to yourself to stay away until the storms here have passed. I arrived back Sunday from Sunny (All be it on fire) LA and got little sleep due to the winds and driving rain. ohhh New Zealand Winter how I love thee

K

Hey guys,

What do you think about the heat format vs. one off attempts?

Swimming comps have several heats (qualifying, quarters, semis, finals). Sometimes people set NR or WR in the heats and don't even make the final or don't place in the final. Part of the accomplishment of making the finals is the challenge of swimming consecutive heats in the same day in different events.

That was the crazy thing about Phelps' accomplishment at the Olympics - was all the swimming he had to do to make the finals!

Personally, I find that the drama of that is more interesting than one event at a time spaced out. So in a way, I would argue that rest days reduce the tension and excitement and the challenge, especially from a spectator's point of view.

I like the idea of choosing your battles/challenges and the gamesmanship that can go on. I think it is also more interesting for the crowd. Perhaps only two rounds is easiest for our sport, rather than 3-4 rounds.

It does sound draining - I remember at Canadian Nationals this April having only had 1 hour of sleep for day 1, then 3 hours on day two and pulling a decent dynamic out of my ass, which totally surprised me. :friday Having to qualify for finals on top of that would have been a real challenge!

But it is a competition, after all, and I do like the idea that the format itself demands even more from the competitors and creates more chances for the unexpected, which is something you would have to add into your training.

Hmmm. What about a relay event in dynamic....remember how exciting the relays were at the Olympics? Just a thought.

Pete "will get my ass over to Europe and Egypt very soon" Scott

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT