• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA Indoor Freediving World Championship 2009 - Århus

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Interesting statistic:

- For more than 10 years, the men and women's static world records differed by about 1'30" (almost exactly)
- For example, the women's record was 6'02" and the men's record 7'35" (in 2000)
- then the men's record was 8'06" and the women's record was 6'26"
- if you look at the results from the Arhus championship, the difference is 8'46" (men) vs. 8'23" (women) (just 23 seconds)
- if you ignore the top results and look at 2nd place, the comparison is 6'58" to 8'29" (a difference of 1'33", almost exactly the usual difference)
- if you compare the current world records, the difference is 11'35" to 8'23" (a difference of 3'12")

Food for thought.

Does anyone know the dive times of Fred Sessa and Guy Brew? I believe Guy was somewhere at his 150m turn when Fred did his protocol (and probably noting where he'll have to surface couple of minutes later :) )

From videos I checked that in DNF finals:
-Bjarne's 199 m took about 3:50, which means on average 28,9s in 25 m.
-Natalia's 160 m took about the same (about 3:47),on average 35,5s every 25 m. Really slow with looong glides and only 3(-4) handstrokes in 25 m. But Natalia had time, her STA time was 8:23.

Last edited:
I meant the DYN finals, where I have the feeling Fred was indeed about twice as fast as Guy. Would love to know the exact times. Did judges record the times?

Best Nations
In Maribor Bill Stromberg came up with an idea to find out the best nations among the individual performances:

BILLPOINTS (1st place 15p - 2nd place 13p - 3rd place 11p - 4th place 9p -
5th place 8p - down to 12th place 1p)

WC Aarhus STA+DNF+DYN

1. NZL 82
2. Sweden 66
3. FIN 56
4. Russia 51 (mostly Natalja)
5. Denmark 29

I think Fredrik Sessa made his swim in less than 2:25. Mine was about 4:15. Guy was even slower. When Fredrik surfaced he was only 15m behind me or something:) Watch for yourself. Closest to the camera is the chunky Norwegian, second closest is Sessa:friday

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cliaMRF-YzU]YouTube - BjarteDynWCH09[/ame]

Reactions: trux
Thanks Bjarte! I think Guy surfaced quite a bit later than you (30s or more?). Would be interesting to know the exact time too. I calculated Fred swam 1.57m/s and you 0.94m/s. And Guy even slower. Already when watching the video, you can see how much energy is Fred using. The consumption of energy needed for compensating the drag grows with square of speed, so I really wonder if such a fast swim is a good strategy. I know Fred has miserable static times, but it is respectful he can do such distance at this speed anyway.

BTW, there are some photos made by members of our team. There are many and unfiltered, and mostly only showing our team, so may be boring, but perhaps you find some that interest you:

http://www.mojefoto.eu/index.php?stranka=foto&int_album=8
http://www.mojefoto.eu/index.php?stranka=foto&int_album=3

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Babowicz
Thanks Bjarte! I think Guy surfaced quite a bit later than you (30s or more?). Would be interesting to know the exact time too. I calculated Fred swam 1.57m/s and you 0.94m/s. And Guy even slower. Already when watching the video, you can see how much energy is Fred using. The consumption of energy needed for compensating the drag grows with square of speed, so I really wonder if such a fast swim is a good strategy. I know Fred has miserable static times, but it is respectful he can do such distance at this speed anyway.

BTW, there are some photos made by members of our team. There are many and unfiltered, and mostly only showing our team, so may be boring, but perhaps you find some that interest you:

http://www.mojefoto.eu/index.php?stranka=foto&int_album=3

just imagine what Frediric is capable off if he had metabolism of Guy :friday 300? 350? more?

I found both Frediric's performances stunning (let us not forget the 181m DNF with stupid DQ due to dipping airways while being VERY fresh) and also Guy's performances totaly different approaches but both for the person very effective! At least it made the DYN final for me a total trill to watch from media room, as did Suzy's dive to 200m (after only 4 months of training after a 4 year break due to circumstances).....

sleep well all I'm off.....

I calculated Fred swam 1.57m/s and you 0.94m/s. And Guy even slower. Already when watching the video, you can see how much energy is Fred using. The consumption of energy needed for compensating the drag grows with square of speed, so I really wonder if such a fast swim is a good strategy.
[URL]http://www.mojefoto.eu/index.php?stranka=foto&int_album=3[/URL]

1,57 m/s is nowadays really a huge speed in dynamic apnea, with a lot of extra drag and consumption of oxygen. And Brew's speed even too slow for an average freediver, but maybe not a problem with his static ability. Nice too notice that with really different styles can make extremely good results.
BTW in the DNF Finals Bjarte's average speed was 0,865 m/s, and Natalia's 0,7 m/s.

Thanks for the photos trux! Anyway there is a lot of them, many very interesting and good ones :)

Last edited:
Aren't you too slow in DYN Bjarte? Did you try double-kick instead?
I am surprised how slow you are at the end, when normally (at least for me) the instinct is to go faster. Another problem is that when you do such long dives, you are more negative at the end than at the start. It can be seen indeed that you are sinking in the last meters... perhaps even with a valid SP there might have been a question about "pushing" from the bottom.

Anyway, no criticism just questions... I am in awe looking at your dives!

I think pushing from the buttom would be OK because Bjarte had to do at least two arm strokes to get to the surface. But I am not a judge :).

Last edited:
I think pushing from the buttom would be OK because Bjarte had to do at least two arm strokes to get to the surface. But I am not a judge :).

From a judges point of view this is a clear case. The rules state that any support during the exit of the dive is reason for a penalty of 5 points. Be that a pull at the adge/line or a push off the bottom.

Here, the yellow card was overruled by the red card due to the BO. Also, it is clear that he was only down there due to his hypoxic state. Throughout the dive, Bjarte was holding a nice and comfortable hights. Only on the last lane he drops down. Tunnel vision can do that to you. Not necessarily a question of buoyancy.

In my oppinion, he should have come up 20-30m earlier. Might have even been another medal for him.

Question to the wonderfull people who run DB: Why do we only have a red-card-smily and no yellow or white ones?

There's also the question of why he spend so much time at the bottom, not swimming anymore. I don't have the experience so I was surprized to see that behaviour.

I just came from aarhus I was there as an spectator,here is my review:

First of all let me say that I met trux he is a real nice guy and what I had in mind of the czech prague gentleman I think this discription fits him exactelly but everyone had a good vibe over there :D

The city incredible I'm actually trying to move there Danes are the coolest people that I know and haves values similar to mines beautiful place to stay, the organization was incredible the set up of lcd underwater cams stephan on the mic 5 stars, the freediving and diving club seems to be an active not to large and frinedly group of people the ideal freediver club
The BO the tears, the sweat, the smell of anxiety all gave an awesome show public liked it very much, Did ever went to a football stadium?did you ever feeled that rush for the game?know could ever imagine that 3 times?!?! yuuup
Specially for the finish guy in elios suit what a fight

My christmas wish is that this kind of comp should happen at least 2 times a year all in aarhus great atmosphere overall and hey it actualy motivates me to go to the pool and my starting to do some max to see what goes up the sea will have some rest for know but not to long

thanks to all the organizers of the event

About my buoyancy. I think that was mainly because I came too close to the bottom. I usually can adjust my buoyancy with depth.

I should adjust my speed. A 4:15 swim is very long. But you`ll never see me do a 200 in less than 3min.
The reason why I didn`t come up earlier iwas that I have never had a BO before. Silly enough that has bugged me. I`ve been doing PB of 25m many times. Allways thinking that I would have a samba or a blackout. But nothing!:blackeye The only thing I managed was a samba (with correct SP) in training. But I had to do a DNF200 to make that happen. I allways get surprised with my achievements.

The 216m DYN in qualifying felt very easy, and after winning the DNF I was just so happy that nothing else really mattered. Before the WC I would not have thought I would have shot at the A-final, and with Alexeys BO everything was now open. I think my 216dive was better. I even got a comment from Stavros that I looked very strong afterwards. So I decided to just go for it. I mean, when I can do 199m DNF I should be able to do alot more with fins. I knew that I had a chance to win this and I also knew that if I was DQ I would have no problem dealing with it. I mean, my first competition was Aarhus triple challenge last may and now I had just won the WC. I felt I had nothing to loose, and I`m glad I took the shot. It was awesome. And I heard that all of us in the A-final put on a great and very exciting show:friday
Bjarte

B-J:

Have you done your DYN PB:s in a 25 m pool or 50 m? I´ve found that since I most of the time only have access to a 25 m pool I usually loose about 5 - 10 % in DYN performance in a 50 m pool.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT