• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA Indoor Freediving World Championship 2009 - Århus

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Having the world championship in my home town at the moment might affect my opinions, but I still think this was one of the best freediving events I have been a part of. As an athlete, everything seemed to work close to perfect and the organizing team, the safetydiver team and the judges were all doing a great job.

I was competing in all three disciplines and made it to three finals, so I had a rather exhausting four days. Maybe in the future we will see a different kind of schedual to give the athletes more rest and possibly not TWO max attempts in one day. Anybody else have a comment on this?

I had the pleasure of congratulating the amazing freedivers on site, but it's still hard to realize that Norway has got it's first world champion. You rock, Bjarte! Now we have to work on spreading it to the other norwegians ;)

Cheers,
Elisabeth

Reports and pictures on: Elisabeth Kristoffersen - Bits and parts from my world below
På norsk: AIDA Norway

Reactions: shoutatthesky
I hear rumors about Eindhoven (NL) rofl but do not know where these rumors come from :girlie

Grtzzzzz Pim

Now people have even more reason to check out the rumor-pool during the next dutch apnea open competition mid-november this year.

Balázs, seing you posting here, I just realize there were no Hungarians at the WC, were they? If really not, why then?

Hi Trux,

First of all, congrats to you and for all the athletes (especially for the Slovak and Czech teams)! Really world class performances!:t

Since I'm not a member of the national AIDA anymore, I'm not the competent person to answer your question.

What I can say generaly (what I've heard), the interest was low, due to the following reasons:
-the place was a bit further, than last time (Maribor)
-no chance for "good" results
-not a big activity within national AIDA (no national comp since 2006 and etc)

Regards,
Balázs

Sorry to hear it, Balázs! If you'd like to participate the next time, just let us know. Slovaks may be able to smuggle you through as their own. Now they will kill me if they see me again (but to my excuse, I am a partial Slovak too) but we all know that Slovaks are just masked Hungarians anyway (just as Czechs are in fact Germans). Well, it's true that the recent incidents of burning the Slovak embassy in Budapest, the assassination attempt of the Slovak consul, and the discriminative laws in Slovakia add some tension between the nations, but it only confirms that they are closer to each other than some politicians and extremists like.

the problem of hungary I think it was the main reason for the abcense of some countries over aarhus same was with Portugal, let me remenber that this a problem beyond aarhus far greater, most of the FD club are groups of friends who hang out together mix FD with some peanuts and beer later on :D and as any good FD try to put some people into the sport the lack of comps activities, reunions and sea FD raises the number of Freedivers that leave the sport not by winning wife :p but due to the lack of motivation and fun (FD is still a sport where fun is X factor ;))

Finally i took the time to correct the results....I only found 2 errors in the DNF-heats so only 1 new file

Grtzzzz Pim

Attachments

• heats DNF WC2009 AIDA (corrected).pdf
    18.3 KB · Views: 181
-the place was a bit further, than last time (Maribor)
-no chance for "good" results
-not a big activity within national AIDA (no national comp since 2006 and etc)
Hey next time turn your flag around and get in as italian... :)

Pity no more comps in Hungary, the one of 2005 was really nice except that no foreigner could pronounce the name of the place. Hope to see you somewhere again soon!

Hi Igor,

I have seen the BO from Jana (sadly) but 'DQ SP' is what was written on Judge-form .... as I wasn't judging there, I can only took over the info from the judge-forms so DQ SP :rcard ....

Andrea,

Thanks!!! You (abroad living) Italians are very friendly (NOT) towards an appearantly old and senile Dutchman.....maybe it is time to do your DNC (dynamic no cord in swinktrunks) again as the people in Arhus are still talking about that one :martial although I have to admit 96m DNC is still the World Record :friday

roflroflrofl

Hi,

I was watching [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R03cW06wiMA]YouTube - Freediving World Championship 2009 in Aarhus, Denmark[/ame] where you can see that Natalia Molchanova is not wearing goggles. Trux wrote about his success with this approach. Were there others that did this at the World Championship (apart from no goggles in static)?

cheers
Eric

where you can see that Natalia Molchanova is not wearing goggles. Trux wrote about his success with this approach. Were there others that did this at the World Championship (apart from no goggles in static)?
Eric, yes, I think there were more of them. If I remember well, at least some of Slovaks use no goggles (Risian for sure, and Zajac perhaps too). The apparent advantage in addition to the stronger DR, is better streamlining, and especially the ease of the surface protocol - a big part of the DQ airway dipping happened when the competitor removed his/her goggles. That won't happen without them so easily :)

BTW, congrats again to your great performance and the national record, Eric!

Doesn't she have mask or goggles here?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq3G4PaLNB4&feature=channel]YouTube - Natalia Molchanova's World Record DNF 160m[/ame]

Anyway, as long as pools have chlorine there's no way I can do without goggles. By the way, it seems both Natalia and the diver next to her started after 10s was spelled. Of course it might be an audio-sync problem in the video, I am sure the judges would have paid attention.

Last edited:
Anyway, as long as pools have chlorine there's no way I can do without goggles.
If you cannot stand ~3 minutes underwater without goggles, then you deserve the biggest "chicken" badge from Linda that she can find. I'll have to tell her, I think she'd be happy to know it about you.

BTW, the water was not chlorined in Aarhus, but lightly salty. Very close to the salinity of a physiological fluid.

By the way, it seems both Natalia and the diver next to her started after 10s was spelled. Of course it might be an audio-sync problem in the video, I am sure the judges would have paid attention.

At original video Natalia and Kathryn started at count 9. After cutting of large chunk from the begin shit happened. MJPG is not good format for editing. :(

Anyway, as long as pools have chlorine there's no way I can do without goggles.
I'm used to use goggles or mask. But when I was in an official lifesaver course, there was not allowed to use goggles in any pool trainings. (The logic was: In real case you have no time to find goggles, you just jump in the water, if it's needed. Better train it like it would be in a real case.) There were many trainings lasting for hours including quite a lot of diving or being face underwater. First it was a bit strange feeling and I though that I could see almost nothing underwater. But very soon I used to it, and it was not difficult anymore to dive so and also to find rings (or victims) from bottom without goggles.

Nowadays they use many means to keep pool water clear and clean, normally not much chlorine needed anymore (but there is still it, but very little, just to be sure to make bacteriums' life too hard in a pool).

Not to use goggles has benefits, as said, with hydrodynamics, dive response and SP. Many says "But then I can't be relaxed!". It's much what you are used to. Diving without goggles in a pool is a thing most people can learn to do relaxed - if there is not unnormally much chlorine. But yes, it's true that most of freedivers use goggles also in competitions - they are used to do so.
About swimmers in competitons- they use goggles too, so effect in hydrodynamics must be very marginal. But swimmers don't have to think RP and SP like freedivers.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT