• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea Diet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I changed my diet 8.5 months ago to Vegan to improve my heart health since heart disease is the number 1 killer in the states. Working in health care I have seen many healthly people active people who have had heart attacks. I am cheap by nature and do not want to have to take expensive medications or pay for trips to the cardiologist. I have ate in the past typical high fat diet which I have always felt good on however knowing my in the past my cholestrol was way high gave me no peace of mind and was sceptical on safety of statin drugs today I got free cholestrol screen today and I am a bit bummed score cholesterol 154, HDL 30, LDL 89, triglicerides 177. I exercise doing aerobics of some sort 5 to 7 days a week. My big indulgences are drinking a couple cokes a week coffee 1 to 2 litters a day and potato chips or corn chips 1 or2 times a week. I am thinking of trying niacin however am open to new ideas other than fish oil mercury concern thanks for your input.

am open to new ideas other than fish oil mercury concern thanks for your input.
I read in a few places that some research has shown that 1-2 teaspons (IIRC, if not then spoons) of olive oil a day for 2 weeks lowers LDL levels, maybe you'd wanna look into it.
As for fish oil, the products I saw claim that there are no heavy metals in them, could be true - not sure how that would work with a vegan diet though, as it's mostly an ideological diet.
1-2 litters of coffee a day sounds like a lot to a non-american. IIRC coffee is lipolytic, if that is the case then it might raise your blood fat tests....

One thing which can raise the 'bad' cholesterol is hydrogenated vegetable oil. This is found in many processed foods, including vegetarian, vegan and 'healthy' ones.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or whether this question has been covered elsewhere . How much do people eat before a day's freediving ? There must be a relationship between the amount of food in your stomach and lung capacity , I tend not to eat anything in the morning , but then get a bit low on energy if doing a day's spearfishing . Any advice would be appreciated .

I think the main thing is to have a gap of a few hours in between eating and diving- Right now I eat oatmeal and a banana 3hours before seems to work, I think avoiding fatty stuff is good. You don't wan't the digestion process stealing blood/oxygen from your dive---- I also take a bottle of water with recovery vitimin b,c stuff in it just before or during diving to maintain.---------------has anyone out thier tried goo packs for diving?

has anyone out thier tried goo packs for diving?

Those things cyclists use in the little plastic bags?? I personally think anything with that consistency should not be swallowed.

You want the energy in your system but not still in your stomach using up O2 and giving you reflux. A few hours works for me too. Energy drinks without caffeine help me to keep hydrated and keep me going too. You can buy stuff with al the electrolytes in and leave a bottle somewhere if you are out all day.

Reflux....how does one avoid that? I get really bad acid reflux when diving :(

never had a problem with acid reflux while freediving. Have had a bit while cycling though. Usually after having some GOO or some sugary drink(gatorade, etc), and not enough water. i have found refined sugar to be the culprit.

Also, perhaps relaxation has something to do with it as i am usually feeling easy when in the water, but on a bike, i want to kill or be killed for at least the first 5 miles of my ride. I think this shuts off the digestion system a bit, and that is not a good thing with food in your gut. Combine that with leaning forward and pushing the breath apparatus and i would rather just vomit and get it over withrofl

Those things cyclists use in the little plastic bags?? I personally think anything with that consistency should not be swallowed.

You want the energy in your system but not still in your stomach using up O2 and giving you reflux. A few hours works for me too. Energy drinks without caffeine help me to keep hydrated and keep me going too. You can buy stuff with al the electrolytes in and leave a bottle somewhere if you are out all day.

Is there anything else that you've tried recently that has had a positive or negative effect on the digestive system????? :)

rofl

Funny you should ask Ed

I can confirm Bicarboate of soda does indeed give you explosive and uncontrolable s****.

I nearly turned inside out at one point i think.

rofl

Reactions: podge
Also, perhaps relaxation has something to do with it as i am usually feeling easy when in the water, but on a bike, i want to kill or be killed for at least the first 5 miles of my ride. I think this shuts off the digestion system a bit, and that is not a good thing with food in your gut.

Interesting you should mention that. I was just reading the below article the other day. What you suspect is indeed true.

"When an animal perceives danger, a system called the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (or HPA) axis kicks into gear: A chain reaction of endocrine signals beginning in the hypothalamus results in the release of various hormones — most notably epinephrine (“adrenaline”), norepinephrine, and cortisol — from the adrenal glands above each kidney. These hormones boost heart rate, increase respiration, and increase the availability of glucose (cellular fuel) in the blood, thereby enabling the famous “fight or flight” reaction. Because these responses take a lot of energy, cortisol simultaneously tells other costly physical processes — including digestion, reproduction, physical growth, and some aspects of the immune system — to shut or slow down."
APS Observer - Understanding the Have-Knots- The Role of Stress in Just About Everything

Reactions: apneaboy
I can confirm Bicarboate of soda does indeed give you explosive and uncontrolable s****.

I nearly turned inside out at one point i think.

The scientific quest for the ultimate freediver continues rofl

Nice one mate. I think the most i've done is sculled down 300 or 400 ml of lemon juice down an hour before a static. Not the best but I didn't turn inside out :D Static didn't improve either. :vangry

It defo improves speed to the bathroom!!

5 lemons does help with the contractions, an hour before is a bit close for me i can still feel it on the holds, two hours before maybe. Nicer hold not a big improvement though.

BTW Benny on the subject of scientific studies did you see that website with someone we both know advertising that wotsit stuff for thingy? How did that go??

I can't remember what I ate before those dives. It wasn't anything special, to be sure. Is there anything that can reduce the risk of acid reflux?

BTW Benny on the subject of scientific studies did you see that website with someone we both know advertising that wotsit stuff for thingy? How did that go??

I can't tell you how many times you lost me there...

Oh I remember now - yep it's cleared up nicely thanks.

I can't remember what I ate before those dives. It wasn't anything special, to be sure. Is there anything that can reduce the risk of acid reflux?
I have found that avoiding hydrogenated fat (not just before a dive, but all the time) greatly reduces acid reflux.

six. :head

Sorry Benny rofl It will all become clear i will pm you the link to the website.
Well, clearly, You are trying to keep something private there. :naughty What is it? Go on, go on! ... Or do we need to get Darth Smurf to read Your pm for us and publish it? :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT