• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea Diet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Warning!

If you found hydroxycitric acid, that is NOT citric acid.

Hydroxycitric acid (or hydroxycitrate) is an extract from Garcinia Cambogia, used to block carbohydrate absorption after meals.

Jome, how long did you wait after the citric acid to do static?

I think it was about an hour or so...

But I would have to do more than one trial, it could be I was just having a bad day or something...

Let's see :)

In Aus, Citric Acid powder is in the super markets and on the shelf next to the other baking products.

Attachments

• mckenziesmall6.jpg
    mckenziesmall6.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 564
I'll admit that 10g of citric acid produces a 'subtle' (small) effect on the breath-hold, but it is also friendly to the stomach (even if not the teeth). I recommend brushing your teeth or using baking soda as mouthwash to neutralize the tooth effect.

However, if you are willing to live with a bad case of diarrhea, then try taking 17g of baking soda (NaHCO3) in 600ml of water. Do static about 30 minutes later. Your contractions will come extremely late and you might get a good static in before you have to race to the bathroom!

uhhhhhhh..... I am not one to preach..I have only been freediving for a while now and I can only reach a depth of 129 feet or about 39 meters but I am fat- I smoke a lot- I drink- I do not exercise- I do not train- etc.,etc.,etc.- but I used to be a chef. What does that have to do with anything? Well, citric acid is usually used in confectionary work- i.e.- sour candy, lemonade, pickles, or usually anywhere in a food you want to counterbalance a taste such as sweet vs. sour or sour vs. salty. Like I said, I am not one to preach- I freedive for my own personal reasons but eating large amounts of citric acid in order to boost your performance seems to me to be like American baseball players taking all kinds of weird chemicals in order to perform better. Isn't freediving about diving into yourself, pushing your limits, seeing how far/deep you can go with your body and mind? Citric Acid? That has to give you heartburn! Plus it seems very unnatural! I used to put it in people's drinks as a joke to watch them gag. Try eating some oranges,grapefruit,etc. if you want citrus. Who cares how deep you can go or how long you can hold your breath- isn't this about diving free? Eating a bunch of citric acid seems a bit weird or maybe I am in the wrong place. I thought freediving was about experiencing yourself in an environment in which many think unorthodox or strange yet we find in it- peace, comfort, challenge yes but most of all we discover ourselves. I would suggest finding the depth within yourself and not in chemicals. I do not mean to preach, especially as a beginner. But I think you are taking the spirit away from that which has become a sport yet should remain as a self-reflecting/self-discovering journey into ourselves each time we dive. Eating powders is no different than breathing pure oxygen before you dive. Sure, it might enhance your performance, but what can YOU do to enhance it? I don't care what Eric Fattah did, or Pippin, or Tanya Streeter, or anyone else. I know I broke my own personal best last weekend. I also know my friends have not been able to beat my record, yet I applaud them just the same when they beat their own and I hope they demolish my silly record because I know they can. You should realize your own potential and also your own limits. Leave football, rock climbing, and tennis behind. Dive for yourself and no one else and I guarantee you will dive deeper than you would swallowing a bag of citric acid.

Just my opinion,
J.

Fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinnion and I respect that people don't want to take anything extra.

But it's a fine line. As it was said earlier, the supposed same effect would come from eating 5 lemons. Which is basically an extreme diet, but still, it's not in anyway (in my opinnion) in doping land. Or grapefruit seed extract. Citric acid is the same thing, just more condenced and thus easier to deal with. Now, would taking grapefruit seed extract be wrong? How about green tea? Vitamin supplements? Of course there is that "gray area", when substances become suspicious, but I guarantee that in top sports every succesfull athlete is taking absolutely every supplemet and substance they know to be useful as long as it's legal and healthy. And of course sadly a lot go even beyond that...

For me, it is more of an interesting experiment, to see what makes me tick, than it is about winning a competition. But sure, if I found it useful, I would utilize it in a competition.

I'm sure sipping pure citric acid is not a healty practice in long term. I don't think anyone is suggesting that one should make a daily habit out of this.

But it is also not for anyone else to define what someone else may get out of a sport. Sure, for some it is all about inner journey and "diving into your self", or what ever.

Some get a kick out of competing and winning others, some get a kick out of beating personal bests. Some just like the peace and quiet. Some like to experiment and research, to better understand what is going on...

None of these methods are right or wrong. Everyone's in it to get something out of it. Be it inner peace and self discovery, or satisfying your ambitions and competitive spirit.

Me? I get a kick out of seeing how long I can hold my breath. I never got the whole "inner peace thing". For me, a maximum static if always nasty, even if the first minutes are peaceful. I don't want to hold my breath, I want to quit. But I continue just to see if I can. So is a maximum cw dive. I would be lying if I said I enjoy the feeling of being hungry for air at the very end. But I do enjoy making a successful dive and redefining my own limit.

I don't think that by such experimenting and theorizing anyone is "taking the spirit away" from the sport. It's not theirs to take. What ever the spirit of the sport is for each individual is their own and they define it by them self by controlling how much they let actions and examples of others influence their thoughts.

While on the subject, I have not so far found any single substance or supplement that would give a clear and definite edge in static. In that sense, everyone can sleep soundly, it's still about YOU improving YOUR performance by training etc. Of course we all know substances that would be helpful, but are dangerous and/or illegal, and that's not an area I'm willing to explore. Also comparing citric acid to o2 statics is a bit unfair...Messing with o2 can very easily turn deadly, as I hope most of you know. You can easily reach co2 levels that are out right toxic and go in a coma and die. I've heard of at least one such incident, that did not end up quite so grim, but it was a pretty good scare for all involved...

Now about baking soda, I've heard about that but never tried it. Diahhrea would not be a problem, since I'm struggling with that with each max static anyway (there's a little bit too much information for ya :). And I do know that this is something that top level athletes have tried and used...17g is alot though, maybe I'll pass this one.

Last edited:
In my experience, citric acid or baking soda do not increase your static, they just make the static more enjoyable (or the dive more enjoyable). Isn't enjoyment what we are after?

By following an alkaline diet, I find the need for such modifiers as citrate or bicarbonate unnecessary. However, if I have been following an acidic diet and I need a quick way to make apnea more enjoyable I will resort to eating lemons, or taking citric acid.

Yes, I apologize. I get on deeper blue to learn from others much in the same way I learn from my diving and freediving buddies. I just think some people take it too far. I actually would love to go to a competition. If I were to even come in last place on the American team I would consider myself a winner...hell, just making the team would be an honor.
And to be honest I had had a few drinks last night mate and it sort of turned into a ramble. I did not mean to try and put any limits on what a person gets out of freediving but I certainly wrote it that way.
I have been struggling with my weight for most of my life, along with smoking, money,ADHD,etc.,etc. and 90 % of it is due to a lack of will power or self esteem. About two years ago I started seriously freediving and found it to be the first thing in my life that I could set goals and achieve them. I started with 10 meters, then twenty, then thirty- I never expected to find my self pushing 40 and it is changing my perception on life. I do it only for myself really. I tell my non-diving friends about a new record and they say " neat " or " your crazy ".
I know that if I can use my mind to push myself deeper and deeper and learn to achieve these remarkable things (remarkable to me) then I can use this same mental strength to achieve other goals such as quitting smoking or losing weight.
So I thought I would get on Deeper Blue and see what people like me and the pros are eating and the whole citric acid thing freaked me out. I was looking to see what type of diets people use. I know whenever I finish a long day of diving I crave something high in fat and chocolate- kinda weird. There are so many " diets " out there it is hard to know what works.
I have tried high protein and found myself lacking energy and getting leg cramps. I have tried a bunch of stuff. I was just shocked by the whole citric acid thing and here I go rambling again :)! Sorry. Once again I apologize but I do know that consuming large amount of straight citric acid over a period of time could probably give you an ulcer.
Now that I have written a small novel. Does anyone suggest a thread here on total diets- as in what people eat all week and not just on days they dive and for some of the lucky people who dive every day what do they eat. Once again to each his own- sorry I came across that way.

J.

p.s.- Just how does one eat five lemons? Soup? Over pasta? A five lemon citric smoothie? Or maybe you cut the lemons into four wedges each and put them into twenty beers. :) Actually now that I think about it you might want to look into eating pickled or preserved lemons. That would get your fix for both right there!

Hey, I can relate you in many ways. I've not been very active in sports etc before I found diving, and it has really given me motivation to simply stay even moderately fit, watch what I eat etc...That extra boost I needed to my will power that any other hobby simply didn't bring.

When you put it like that, I can understand the freakout. This thread has long since moved past the "diet" subject into more or less substance abuse :) But there are tons of old threads about food. Using the search function may bring some good tips.

Now the five lemons thing. That's why I tried the acid, I simply could not bring my self to eat five lemons. At least with the acid, it's over quickly. 5 lemons would be just slow torture...

Just as a general guideline, I try to avoid sugar, get enough salt, get enough veggies. Currently I don't eat any supplements. During heavy training I took some kind of herbal drink that supposedly is loaded with iron...And other usefull stuff. Other than that, just normal food...

Mmmm, 2 gallons of lemon aide! :yack

I'm a newbie to freediving, but being an experienced scuba diver, and 26 years of surfing (in some fairly big surf), have lent some experience to "performance enhancing" diets. I have found that extremes are almost never good - eg: a double cheese burger "animal style" & a large soda just before surfing a big wave spot 1/2 mile out was a bad idea!

That said, I've really enjoyed all of the input on this thread! I'm curious, has anyone tried unfiltered apple cider vinegar? Or would that be counter productive? 2 tablespoons 2 hours before surfing seems to help me with stamina and post session soreness.

Thanks!

Rick

efattah said:
Onions and garlic lower BP a lot; this reduces O2 consumption significantly, but increases the risk of a blackout, especially a blackout during packing.

However, recent evidence/experiments with FRC diving imply that a diet high in garlic is ideal for FRC -- primarily because with FRC there is no risk of BO from packing, and there is a lowered risk of SWB from many factors. This allows the FRC diver to take full advantage of the lowered O2 consumption caused by garlic. Don't take that at face value, it needs more experiments to be proven.

Garlic both thins the blood and dilates blood vessels.

Thats interesting, are the effects permanent? i eat heaps of garlic

Hi jsharbel71,
I went from being about 171/2 stone down to 14/12 to 15 depending on the time of day since taking up freediving about 1 year agao. I tried to get fitter prior to doing the course but didn,t really change my diet much. I guess try and keep it balanced I know i stil eat too much sweets and chocolate but I have tried to limit myself to weekends and reduced my portions of general food and then I started exercising more, did a lot of swimming and then did a mini triathlon in the summer something I never thought i,d be able to do. The old adage of eat less and exercise more is true. Just a reasonably healthy diet and eat what you like sometimes. I dont think different foods will help me that much, they may make a difference to someone with more experiance at the top of their game but for me more training and technique will help me a lot more.
That said I,m always interested to hear about it. My brother eats a total alkalising diet from a health point of view and I couln,t even name some of the things on his plate. It works for him and I take what I can from it like lemon tea etc but I couldn,t go for it all the way like he does. Go with what you feel, I think we all know whats inherently good or bad for you and the body craves the better things when you work out so have them to hand after a work out. I hate garlic so wont be having that despite the benfits. Heard whiskey dilates the blood too great.
Regards Feargus

Reactions: apneaboy
fcallagy said:
Heard whiskey dilates the blood too great.

Hmmmm, interesting. I wish i can find a 18 years whiskey that can improve every thing for freediving. If it could happened more than one will need not only swimming, yoga, relaxation and exercise to be a good freediver, some AA session would be essential. rofl

Sigi...

I'm eating a vegan diet. No milk and meat products. Also unprocessed biological grown whole foods. I find it cleaned up my body greatly, like a heavy vail was lifted.
Recently I discoverd that I drank to little. Possible I was a little short on minerals, so I add a teaspoon of unprocessed seasalt to a gallon, 2,5 Litres of water, and drink this every day. I'm doing this for only a week, but effects seem clear I'm gaining more muscle mass and it feels right. The idea came from www.watercure2.org

About milk and stuff: www.notmilk.com
(try the 9 day test, 7 days without milk and meat products, than on day 8 your normal cheese, milk, meet dose, and withness the contrast on day 9)

I'm interested to try the lemon thing, are oranges also acid enough? I like to drink it mixed with seasalted water. Anyway I just going to try it.
On the teath thing, I think flushing your mouth with sweet water after the 5 oranges/lemon/grapefruits to wash out the acid is a good idea to preserver the teath.

The garlic and the ginger is also a nice thing to test.

I also agree with jsharbel's nice points.
As freediving is a pretty demanding passion having a well balanced nutricious diet can make a big difference in the comfort and length of the experience.
I do compete, and view it as nice event to see my friends, meet new people, share experiences, to test my current abilities in a save enviroment and inspire others.

I love to hear more people talking about their experiments.

Love, Peace and Water.

Kars

hey
im just curious if anyone heard about Dr robert Young's work?
He wrote a book "pH miracle" where he claimes that virtually all problems with health are from eating bad (acidic) food. There's a lot of other interesting stuff he says like the thing particularly interesting for us, that a lot of problems come from having a "bad" blood. He suggests a diet to improve RBC and get rid of all kinds of vile bacteria like candida living in blood. And we do need a blood with high and healthy Hb.
what im mostly interested though is if anyone tried his products like "prime pH" etc? Here in Israel they are unavailable, so id apreciate any input.
cheers
dan

Reactions: DeepThought
So on my shopping list i'm looking to buy citric acid power, L-Theanine and sodium nitrate... maybe it could be mixed into one giant milkshake?

Fish

Eating fish thins your blood and reduces your bleeding time (time it takes to form a scab) Will this be good for freediving? I'm thinking that it will make it easy for the blood to flow around your body and make it easier for your heart to do what it does best. I also think thats why your supposed to drink a lot of water?

What do you think?

...i'm off for a swim.

Years ago I read that Sodium nitrate was a possible cancer causing agent I know it is in lots of lunch meat and bacon as to help maintain shelf life. I have changed my diet only to lower my cholesteral have not noted any performance change positive or negitive. Please buy Alaska salmon,shrimp, crab, halibut, black cod, guey ducks, herring row and help my poor impovershed freinds in Petersburg.

I ran out of mackrel and salmon last night... I need fish and have no money!
Damn I need to get a spear gun... and somewhere where the visiblily is more than 20cm...

Years ago I read that Sodium nitrate was a possible cancer causing agent

What doesn't give you cancer these days?

This was a very interesting thread to revive from ages past, thanks for a good read!

Ps: About the US study on hotdogs..... Americans will try anything to justify their (hotdogs) existence rofl

Tomorrow I'm heading to the Newport Aquarium for a full day video shoot of a local freediver who is volunteering at the Aquarium. I will be spending a good portion of the day in the water with him shooting video while freediving and haven't a clue what foods to consume tonight and during the day tomorrow?

Water temps are said to be in the low 50's F in the aquarium tanks and I want to maintain my energy level throughout the day. I have been training on land with a modified first series Ashtanga Yoga/Pilates routine 6 days a week with occasional pool sessions just to keep wet as well as Static Apnea tables once a week.

My diet consists of whole grains, rice, lean meats, fish, olive oil, lots of leafy greens, no sugar (replaced that with Stevia), decaf coffee with Soy creamer is my only vice. I cut dairy out last month and caffeine two months ago. I also Jala Neti twice a day to keep my sinuses/ears in shape with gentle equalization to keep me Eustachian tubes exercised.

Any advice on foods to take with me to keep my energy level up for what looks to be a exhausting day of freediving with a fairly large video housing with full lighting?

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT