• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Avoid C4 - New fins cracked - no support from C4

Darryl, that pic u pinned of your broken blade. From my experience blades are normally broken near the Base of the blade. When users push off the bottom, jump off a boat etc. The blade over flex. However a break near the far edge of a blade is quiet unique. It is also odd that the crack is in the same shape as the trailing edge.

Reactions: Darryll
Treat your dive fins like you would your dive mask in terms of packing and handling if you use carbon fiber blades, although there are many different types with different fiber mixes and weaves which affect their working properties. As an occasional rock-hopper and shore diver as well as a boat diver I change my fins for the particular environment, longer blades being necessary to pump your way back up from the bottom.

Whereas OP may not have been clear in the initial communication with C4 and may even be at fault for the damage, the company's response here was enough to scare me away. Very dismissive and could care less. Glad I saw this. Had a few C4 purchases ready to go, but wouldn't want to risk a damaged shipment to be blamed on me and be out the money. Charge top dollar just to be asses to their customers. Definitely not inviting. I guess she didn't realize other people were reading. Even if it was the customer's fault a lot of good spearfishing companies go out of their way to make their customers come back. I guess they figure it is a small expense at the present moment for future business with that person and the people that person refers after being made so satisfied. C4 did not have to come on and say they'd replace the fin to have potential business from me. All they had to do was not have Natalia come on here and be a complete ass.

Reactions: SubSub and Darryll
Darryl, that pic u pinned of your broken blade. From my experience blades are normally broken near the Base of the blade. When users push off the bottom, jump off a boat etc. The blade over flex. However a break near the far edge of a blade is quiet unique. It is also odd that the crack is in the same shape as the trailing edge.

Hi Don,
That is precisely what I thought and made me question whether it was a manufacturing defect or not.
As you point out, the crack follows the shape of the blade as opposed to going in a straight line across which is normal.
But what do I know? ;)

Does that crack appear on the other side as well or is it just on one side? The are no blade scuffs that I can see and the fin tip is clear of nicks in the crescent shape of the fin terminal end, so the fin blade does not appear to have collected anything in the way of an impact hit. The side rails appear unmarked as well.

Did you send a photo of the whole blade as well as the close-up of the tip damage?

Yes,
I sent several pictures...different angles/light etc.
The crack is on both sides but it does not make a hole in the fabric.
The odd thing for me is that the crack follows the shape of the blade and as you can see, there are no cracks/chips on the edge of the blade.
If I had kicked something hard enough to crack the fin, surely there would be scratches or chips?

Yes,
I sent several pictures...different angles/light etc.
The crack is on both sides but it does not make a hole in the fabric.
The odd thing for me is that the crack follows the shape of the blade and as you can see, there are no cracks/chips on the edge of the blade.
If I had kicked something hard enough to crack the fin, surely there would be scratches or chips?
Check my post #35 on what is now a combined thread as my thoughts are tips can be over-flexed when pulling fins out by their tips. I have inadvertently done this with very long bladed rubber fins, but of course there they sustained no damage.

Check my post #35 on what is now a combined thread as my thoughts are tips can be over-flexed when pulling fins out by their tips. I have inadvertently done this with very long bladed rubber fins, but of course there they sustained no damage.

I hear you.
We had our fins stored in slots on the sides of the boat to keep them out of the way, so this was not the issue.
Going to do a self repair been in contact with these guys and got some fantastic help http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/
I'm simplifying it, but they recommended a trying a resin layer since the fibre isn't ripped...if that didn't work, putting a fibre patch of the same fabric and then lastly a trim job (also suggested by a couple members here)

So I should be able to sort it out.
Will post pics once I get around to doing it.

The crack is so close to the edge that trimming might be the best option in this case. It looks like you may only shorten the fin about 3 or 4 cm. I could see putting in a lot of effort into repairs that won't likely work out the way you want them to. Trimming is pretty easy.

You are probably right Revan. A couple cm ain't going to be a deal breaker and probably less fuss.
Thx for the advice.

I am no expert on fiberglass or carbon fiber repairs, but as the crack is in the resin layer why not lightly sand the surrounding area (as a fat curving line) and apply a fresh resin coat in a matching "stripe", the sanding allowing the new resin to key onto the original layer. If you used cling wrap or some non-stick material over it and weighted the repair with blocks on either side you may achieve an effective repair as the pressure forces the resin down the crack. The main thing you want to do is not have a hinge point where the crack will grow and extend at the ends.

Wow....

Just bought a brand new set of C4 fins with the T rails coming off on fitting the pockets.....very easily at that. Rang local supplier who were great with full service :) But thought i'd google C4 carbon fin fail to see if anyone else had this problem and came across this thread.

I am disappointed that i've now bought a product from a company with this attitude....its not that they wont replace the item...its the defensive "attack" on OP in a public forum which i find very unprofessional. Claiming OP said things that he didnt etc (not on this forum anyway).

Mort

Not defending anyone here, nore do I think the representation of a certain company has been very good here, but I do think there might be some national differences in play here, both seen to language, temperament and tone. Either way, a more professional approach from C4 would have been to prefer, if not for the customer sake, so for their own. Can't imaging anyone who has read this has become more keen to get a new pair of C4s.

Reactions: DRW and japppo
Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And makes me poor indeed.
William Shakespeare: Othello Act 3, scene 3, 155–161

I was just looking at some C4 fins online...I was surprised at some of the prices too and was thinking of buying them....and then i run into this gem of a thread. The manufacturer's PR on this is out of this world. I mean whether the customer was honest or not you NEVER attack them this way especially publicly. Needless to say i am staying away from C4 and their overpriced products. You would expect one of the worlds most expensive diving carbon product companies to give the equivalent of the premium they charge in prices in customer service experience as well. However the level we see here is on part with 1 star hotels. A bit of 101 on customer service - you give your customer the best experience possible despite their attitude or honesty...If you want returning customers and not to tarnish your brand name. You work together with your customer to find the best solution possible and not trying to shift blame.

Reactions: DRW
Regardless of the customer being right or wrong. I have never seen a rep of a company handle a complaining customer with so little tact as what I'm seeing here.

Probably better to just keep silent or politely dismiss the matter rather than argue with the customer publicly.

my 2 cents on C4 are that they are nowhere near the quality and performance of other brands in the same price bracket.

My thoughts are Carbon C4 has not adjusted to the change since they first entered the dive market. At the time their carbon fiber gear was virtually worshiped as the greatest invention since sliced bread, the money rolled in and as the saying goes they were sitting pretty. Then things changed as more competitors entered the market selling very similar products. At the same time Carbon C4 may have been a victim of their own success and had to push out more product to meet ever growing demand and crowd out competition. When this happens quality can fall as the production line has whips cracking and it is tempting to take short cuts. As more competitors nibble away at their market share their profitability may have come under pressure and there was therefore not enough largesse to replace defective product or to hand money back in lieu of replacement product or partial refunds. This is often a feature of products with a lot of handwork involved, especially if staff changes over time bring in less experienced workers to trim production costs. That may be why, but is no excuse for poor customer service. Their other sporting product ranges such as racing bicycles most likely stand alone and don't cross subsidize the diving equipment operation.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT