• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best gun of 2007?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tolga

Oct 5, 2006
Which do you think is the best gun of 2007 around the European guns?

.Write here the name of the Gun
-Trigger mechanism overall (Is it powerful enough for modification of extra slingers?) : Give points 1..10
-Barrel design, movement in water:Give points 1..10
-Reload time and easiness: Give points 1..10 (open-close head)
-Shooting accuracy: Give points 1..10
-Price: Give points 1..10
-Disadventages: Give points 1..10 (Please write the disadventages of the gun)
-Adventages: Give points 1..10 (Please write the adventages of the gun)
Total points = The sum of the points given above

Rabitech Apex Carbon 110cm
-Trigger mechanism overall: 10
-Barrel design, movement in water:10
-Reload time and easiness: 8 close head
-Shooting accuracy: 10
-Price: 7
-Disadvantages: The closed muzzle lets the shaft move from side to side a little too much but as long as I keep it in check the gun shoots like a laser.
-Advantages: I love the gun it puts the shaft where I want it to go and has PLENTY of power( it put a shaft through a 6ft bullshark! (the shark was on my shooting line instead of my shaft lol)
Total points = 45/50

Last edited:
My Rob Allen 100 with 20 mm band and DIY open muzzle, one wrap of 250 pound mono

-Reload time and easiness: 9
-Price: Give points: 10
-Disadventages: 9, too muzzle heavy to be perfect for me. I like neutral
-Adventages: 10, tough, reliable, simple, accurate, and powerful

I just got a Marc Valentin 90 to try out, but I'll only use it for smaller fish and in our typical dirty water (often <3 m). I'll also baby it, becausse I doubt the plastic is as strong as the nylon on the RA.

I just got a Marc Valentin 90 to try out, but I'll only use it for smaller fish and in our typical dirty water (often <3 m). I'll also baby it, becausse I doubt the plastic is as strong as the nylon on the RA.

Dont worry about the strenght of the palstic of MV it has been more than 10 years that I m using MV with 20 & 19 mm bands no problem yet.

Rabitech Apex Carbon 110cm
-Reload time and easiness: 8 close head
-Price: 7
-Disadvantages: The closed muzzle lets the shaft move from side to side a little too much but as long as I keep it in check the gun shoots like a laser.
-Advantages: I love the gun it puts the shaft where I want it to go and has PLENTY of power( it put a shaft through a 6ft bullshark! (the shark was on my shooting line instead of my shaft lol)
Total points = 45/50

Glad to hear that! I just purchased one secondhand.

I don't really believe in the maths, but I have four Rabitech Stealths (all except my 60cm with carbon barrels). I changed the muzzels to accommodate screw in rubbers and articulating wishbones. I have also stopped using mono as I find the crimp and the line passing through the muzzle affects accuracy. All four guns are deadly accurate with a conversion rate in excess of 95%. Having carbon barrels and relatively light spears means that the balace of these guns is superb - especially in the 100 and 120 cm lengths.

I do not power my guns up and find single 18mm rubbers more than ample - even with 6.7mm shafts - just keep the tip sharp and dont aim for the centre of the body unless the fish is close - afterall how often does one need to punch a spear through a 100kg tuna - unless you are specifically looking for them.

If I had to allocate a number as per the scale, I would go 47/50 (solely due to the muzzle design).

Shoot straight!

yea the muzzle is the only thing that i am not fond of and the only reason I lowered the score for the loading is you have to get the technique right or the 20mm wil bruise you lol.

Well my gun aint from 2007 so no go there, its the apex alu barrel 110.
I do have a contestant for 2008 though, lets just say therell be some developments in the Rabitech camp over the next few months :t

Reactions: Mr. X
I do have a contestant for 2008 though, lets just say therell be some developments in the Rabitech camp over the next few months :t
wwhhatt? a ne ne new rabitech?!?:inlove

yea the muzzle is the only thing that i am not fond of and the only reason I lowered the score for the loading is you have to get the technique right or the 20mm wil bruise you lol.

My chest is proof of the horror that poor (but improving) technique can cause.

Reactions: Mr. X
New Rabitech developments? Do tell, do tell. :)

All the "European" guns mentioned so far are from SA. I've had a few problems with my Rob Allen this year but put it down to me learning (how to make new spear lines properly, how to fit & load thicker rubbers, how to clean after being on a particularly gritty beaches). I am very attached to it. Was hoping to get a 70cm one but it is proving difficult.

Cant share more info just yet, as far as I know its still under development :)
Ill be going to fetch a new suit from them later this week, early next week and find out more about the details :)

Of course we may be a little biased but we definitely feel the HammerHead Evolution was the best speargun of 2007 it easily beat out new Omer Caymans, Beuchat Marlins, Riffe Euros, Effesub, and the rest. Now that the EVO '08 improved trigger mech is out HH Evolution is already in the running for the best speargun of 2008. But don't take our word for it, here are the results from the 2007 Gun Test done by Hawaii Skin Diver Magazine, and remember the shooters were divers sponsored by Omer, Soprasub, and the US distributors for Beuchat, Riffe, and Effesub :

Hanapa'a Fishing

-Trigger mechanism overall: 8 (now a 10 with the new EVO '08)
-Barrel design, movement in water: 8 - standard round barrel with track
-Reload time and easiness: 10 - The best Open Muzzle on the market
-Shooting accuracy: 10+ - video proved it all HH Evolution is the most accurate speargun on the market off the shelf.
-Price: 10 - when you look at the extra such as 2 - bands, 17-4 shaft, bungee and others options this gun is really a very good value.
-Disadvantages: Only available in aluminum. Accessability sucks its only in the US or on-line, but international dealers inquiries are welcome.
-Advantages: ACCURATE. Watch the video. HH Evolution shot the bulls eye twice. Did you see the shaft get stuck in the wood backboard? Talk about an accurate and powerful combo.

Hanapa'a Fishing

Check it out:
Home of HammerHead Spearguns

The best european speargun of 2007 (not "euro": european) is hands down balls against the walls the C4 Mr. Carbon. The only downside: I don't own this wonder. I had chance to shoot it about ten times in pool sessions and I must admit that nothing existing compares to it.

The best european speargun of 2007 (not "euro": european) is hands down balls against the walls the C4 Mr. Carbon. The only downside: I don't own this wonder. I had chance to shoot it about ten times in pool sessions and I must admit that nothing existing compares to it.

Agree with the c4 Mr carbon....Unlike you i do own one :king

was rabitech or rob allen in that competition?

No rabitech nor RA, but my take was the shots were long so the two band guns shot better then the single band. Not taking any credit off the hammer head gun, it did shot really well, probably the best.

About the Hawaii Skin Diver shooting tests, now seriously:
when the best gun is italian, tests are to be taken seriously. But when the best gun is not italian, those ridiculous tests are proven to be just a big heap of bull s...t.
I have spoken.

Even though I hardly fished in 2007, my best gun for a few years now, is my Omer Excalibur Kevlar 90, never let me down, a great gun. I bought, on Ebay, an old Sporasub Dessault 90 which I will rig for 2008. This gun was my favourite in the 80's. I am retro man!

Reactions: spaghetti
The HSD '07 Gun Test only reviewed recently released spearguns. In the '05 Rabitech tested well however the Rob Allen did not and was on par with the sporasubs as far as accuracy. C4's have also been around for a bit however one of the criteria was that the manufacturer had to send a gun to the tester (and C4's are a pretty expensive gun to be sending off to be tested by an independent magasine in another country). For all the manufacturer's it was pretty much send the gun and cross your fingers and hope all the sponsored divers that were testing the product will give everything a fair shake. No hype, no expensive marketing, just send your gun and let the results speak and if the product had tested badly I would not be speaking some other manufacturer would.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT