• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Best gun of 2007?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yeah the bands are longer and looped over a roller at the muzzle. The idea is that you get the band pull of say a 100 cm gun on one that is only 75cm smooth power pulled all the way to the muzzle :) Another benefit is that the pull on the barrel that would normally bend it is now on opposite sides and there is very little barrel flex. So theoretically you can have a thinner barrel. Personally I think the idea of having the same band stretch ratio as a normal gun is wrong on these. I think it is better to reduce the ratio slightly and allow a smoother delivery with the same power rather than just going for more. That's only my thoughts as I haven't used a roller gun.

With regards tracking it the biggest problem will come from the more complex water flow over the extra bands etc. This will be much like having an extra set of bands on an ordinary gun. So it shouldn't be a big disadvantage. A roller gun will be noisier because of those moving rollers but with potentially a faster shaft speed the fish will probably be dead before it hears it so to speak.

That's Why I trust my Rob Allen Gun not only because It's the only one I have but I have no other choice but to make it work for me. Every time I hit the water I put all in it and concentrate as much as possible to shoot my gun accurately. Last time I went out i don't think my gun failed me even once I even shot 2 small grunts practicing my technique of course. A jack from more than 12+ away I aimed at the body and hit the tail but i did not aim correctly i will admit that. So far I have not blamed my gun for miss shots only my self for not aiming it right.

Anyone tried a "roller" gun? The concept sounds good (and simple) but if there aren't many out there in use there must be a reason ...

redline

Redline, here are a few more slightly different guns to keep your interest up!

Attachments

• P1020382(1).JPG
    P1020382(1).JPG
    131 KB · Views: 160
  • P1020514(1).JPG
    P1020514(1).JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 173
  • P1020671(1).JPG
    P1020671(1).JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 180
Do you still use that sleeve for your Mamba foxfish? An awesome piece of work :)

I have a gun that I fancy converting to a roller gun, trouble is it was one of the ones I inherited after our friends accident and I'm loath to harm it. Maybe I will this year, it needs it for sure. I've had a look round for suitable rollers but the only ones I have found have been horribly expensive. I might try and fashion some out of nylon on a bolt mandrel fitted to the pillar drill, kind of like a vertical lathe? Or actually find someone with a lathe that actually knows how to use it rofl

Wow - are those your guns foxfish? Modified yourself? The middle one looks like a roller gun....

I imagine that under tension the bands exert quite a lot of sideload on the rollers, which would likely need to be on bearings to allow easy rotation. Those harken blocks are very nicely engineered, and probably perfect for the application, assuming the bearings are sealed.

With the rollers I presume that the spear shaft is being accelerated for longer than with a conventional band gun, as the wishbone can end up closer to the muzzle. Does this more progressive acceleration translate to better accuracy or range? Its pretty sad, but I find the whole subject of speargun ballistics pretty fascinating.... :-/

redline

Bloody hell foxy! Thats pretty ingenious! Now thats really a composite gun :) Its quite amazing how many different construction methods there can be to produce an object with essentially the same function!

Any update on its construction? Have you tested it yet?

redline

Well it might help muzzle lift on firing & it might help the underwater balance but mainly because I like building things.
I must admit some of my projects dont get finished or tested, guns are a side line compared to some of my other on going interest & building projects!

Reactions: spaghetti
guns are a side line compared to some of my other on going interest & building projects!
Talk about making diamonds out of peanut butter?
I'm with you 100% on this project, just let me know how I might help! :)

You can be chief tester, I will put aside a few guns for you to test when you finally make it over?
I have a boat 3/4 finished a fish tank 3/4 finished & one just started. I have been building artificial beams in my house for 6 years 3/4 finished etc etc.
I also have 3 unfinished guns & 4 I have just stated + numerous riffle stocks in a similar state.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT