• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big Bluefin Are In!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
rofl

shaca, are those bluefins will wait you till you get tahiti??

They don't stop coming til end of Oct. Then we get a run of AJ so I start small and work my way up.

Reactions: Cingene
Shane,

Hey dude, what ever happenned to the tuna hunting over in Gibraltar. I was following this tread closely and no input for a while.

Hey guys, you were right I was o my honeymoon and the internet on the cruise ship was too expensive.

I was at the Totem Factory with Fabrizio and Adriano. Got my guns shipped home as the American cruise security guard are way too paranoid about anything resembling a gun.

They showed me around the workshop and I took a couple of pictures. Also has their Tuna gun in my hands. Apparently the trigger mech ahs been tested with 3 18mm bands and has no problems with the power. THe same mech is used on all his guns so I will be able to use 2 18s or even 2 20s. The guns are beautiful a true work of art.

I am currently still in Barcelona and will be back home tommorow so I will test the guns as soon as they arrive. A report will be included.

Speak to you guys soon.

Shane

nice to hear from you mate. I hope you had great honeymoon:inlove

Desperately waiting for Tahiti review. Let the shaft go through those beautifull Aj and Bluefins. Didn't you forget to want breakaway setup, aren't you?;)

Congrats on your wedding and honeymoon Shane!

I was in Barcelona yesterday and didn't see any bluefins walking around Las Ramblas. Did you fish them all? There were many other strange creatures though, je je...

Adrian

Adrian las Ramblas was packed with strange people. Went to the Hard Rock Cafe on Saturday night and had a great time.

Thanks Memo.

I read it on a Spanish website. Bugger beat me to it. I'll catch mine soon enough. Not that big maybe HEHE

Dude, going after tunny of that size s a LOT of work ....

First, you'll need a rig that's long enough to handle twice the depth of water you're hunting in - look at Terry Maas' rigs for an idea - he runs something like 10 floats with 50ft of bungee between each.

Slip tip is a good idea, I'd rather risk a double flopper 8mm shaft than go for slip tips - just personal preference.

Also make sure that your floats are foam filled, otherwise they'll burst under pressure. You should also run a backup line between your lines around the floats - ie from line to line around the float - I use climbers webbing for mine. It's a sad sight to run a big fish and then have your deepest float pop, leaving the fish with a spear and 10m of bungee in 50m of water ....

Also have a BIG backup gun - strap this to your last float in line. It is absolutely nescesarry for big fish - especially tunnies. The 19Kg tunny we took a couple of weeks ago bent a 7mm RA spear as though it was made of playdo - it also pulled out moments after a backup shot was made.

All in all, have fun!

I will be fishing in 600 - 700 metre deep water. I need a setup which will stop a tuna that size from diving deep.

You reckon an 8mm shaft is better than a slip tip????? 300 kilo tuna would snap that easily.

Do you tie the back up line directly from float to float? Is climbers webbing the flat canvas/nylon material (Tagliatelle shaped??)

Why have a setup twice as deep as the water? Never heard of that before...
Terry uses 3 lifeguard floats rigged to deploy line as each is pulled under. Foam filled floats are a must and the foam needs to be high density or it is pointless. Bungies are also a good idea to help absorb the shock, especially on the initial run.

I think you better tie the boat instead of floats :D :D

Nope - I tie the backup line from one line to the other, around the float. THis is to provide backup should the float burst or break. And yes, that's the tape I'm talking about. It's got a very high breaking strain, and is fairly cheap.

I always run long setups - fish might not go straight down (especially tunny) and if they swim of fast and furious, they can drag a 20m line under in 10m of water. I've seen it happen enough to stick to long rigs.

If you're diving in water that deep, I'd go for a 3 float setup, with the last float in line a BIG boogie board or something like that.

Happy hunting!

So.....did you get to see any???
I have my plans for next summer pretty much set.....

Gibraltar here I come!:D

How long does this tuna run usually last?
Did I get this correct that it usually happens around June/July?

Is anyone else planning of going?

I never thought that Gibraltar would produce such monsterous fish....still, that is pretty much the only way in from the Atlantic....:duh

Cheers,
Mikko

Reactions: Cingene
I cant even imagine the fish load transpassing through the Gibraltar!! Its a speros dream.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT