• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Big Bluefin Are In!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Tuna run starts in may/june and finishes in October. They are currently catching 10-12 kilo ones trolling but the straits get really rough at this time of year.

Best time to go is the last weeks of September.

The best place of all to go spearin is the coast of Cadiz. Big Big fish of all species. You need a spanish permit though. That is bang on the entrance of the med. Gibrlatar is about 8 miles off and the monsters don't generally come to our shores.

Cadiz is a beautiful place. If you don't catch fish you can always catch some chicas. And then go shopping. Hey Shane that place is jam packed with tourist during that time of the year! So if someone is going to go, they better find accomodations in advance and expect to pay a lot of money. Aw, Pierdo Espana. Hasta manana, mi amigo. Y buenas suertes.

Cadiz is still quite cheap compared to the Costa del Sol. Beautiful beaches but the wind can be a bit harsh as it is channelled through the straits. A lot of windsurfing world speed records have been set in that area.

hmmm, I DEFINITELY don't have enough experience or money to try something like that, but I've done some crazy stuff with makos, and we use a long harpoon with breakaway tip and steel cable to a mooring buoy or 2. That is enough to prevent a good sized mako from diving, and I'd imagine it would do the same for a big tuna, as long as you use high quality buoys, and heavy enough cable. Just curious as to why you guys don't go with a setup like that, instead of these long-ass cables and multiple buoys with backup systems and shock cord and all that.

Edit: hehe forgot to mention we do that from a BOAT! Even I'm not crazy enough to go out trying to spear makos in the water.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…