• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall 2007!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks for the advice guys will def look into it. Just got back from spearing and need 2 hurry up and get one cos i saw a pair of bass at least 4lb each and missed em due 2 lack of power and range[nothing to do with accuracy!!!]still good 2 know they are out there. Went in down south coast pretty good vis considering it was a bit overcast. Saw a shole of about 10 and another loner bout 2lb but no mullett. Anyone else been in?

Well done OMD,no such luck for my efforts this morning,if there are bass around,they're avoiding me at all costs.Saw one mullet today but didn't really need him so let him go,saw 2 sea trout,one of which hung around me for a while,i almost managed to grab him hold by the tail....anyway,i obviously let him go on his merry way.
And still,the hunt goes on........

Got in this morning down on the Lizard.Bit more swell than i would have liked but swam down the coast a bit into more sheltered waters and vis got better.I'd just deceided to tether my float and go in to check closer to the shore in the kelp and my decision payed off straight away.

Last edited:
Reactions: greendiver and Huw
Nice to see.

Got in mounts bay today, have been pre occupied with the recent swell :)

Omer rigged up. Viz better than at home, but not amazing. Fair few Mullet around, but no Bass.

OMD - do you eat the wrasse? It looks like nice meat when i'm chopping them up for the lobster pots but never tried it myself
Bass in here too at Porthleven no biggies yet tho

Those Porthleven bass on the rod or the spear Jim?..Had a little sniff about out the back of Wrestles the other day but didn't see anything,great terrain though.Thought about checking there today on my way back from the lizard (too windy) but decided against it.Wish i had now,3 hours of driving and didn't even get wet!

Hi there all hope evoryone is well and starting the season well....
Im hopfuly coming down to cornwall this weekend....Ill be goin to Gwithian beach,,,,TR27 SBX
I think the town is called Pencobben/Godrevy....so can anyone tell me if theres anywere to spear? Id be willing to drive a little...and if anyone is looking to spear with me that would be grate.
thanks

Badlander - I was swimming on the beach , had a mask on tho so did a few holds on the bottom and saw some small ones swimming by.

Wrestles out to Dollands yep you found the spot there! shhh :) when it gets warmer they'll all be in those gullies or hiding in the string weed on the inside (with half the surf club !)

Out on the reef can be alright too, biggest there last year was 7 lbs.

oh spearing , but just bought a fishing rod in truro

Hey fatboy jim fancy letting me in on your secret spot?7lb you say,dont blame ya 4 not telling.thinking about trying down aggy way on sat,not sure what swell will be like.I was working down wheel kitty way and saw what looked like a good little spot hopefully weather will hold out.Hello 2 jimmy286 as well,gwithian you say not sure what its like 4 spearing.good luck and let us know how you get on. Ordered new gun,fins,knife and few other bits n bobs yesterday,went 4 the comanche 90 in the end, thanks 4 the advice guys got someone 2 blame now if i dont catch anything!!!!tight lines

Havn't been in at Gwithian, but I know there is a reef at the north end of the beach towards the lighthouse. Don't underestimate the currents on the points! , me and a mate had a scary fin back into a cove on the cornish north coast last year!

Looks like possibly a swell forcast for the weekend. Check magicseaweed.com.

Dived in the st ives area today at somewhere that looked promising on multi map,long swim out to it (from whre i set off anyway).Viz was grand but just saw wrasse and spider crabs,will be a good spot though i'm sure.
Jimy,if the swell is small,try portreath which is up the coast a little way from godrevey,try out by the pier or around gull rock on a low tide...good terrain.
Eddie,i used to work at laminations in wheal kitty and i've speared around st agnes and trevellas a lot (i only live a few miles away),it can be a good spot and i found it fished better on a higher tide but i ve had fish at all stages,wind looks good for Sat so it'll be worth a look if there's not much swell.

Portreath does look good but those bloody seals!!! I never saw much in the way of fish cause i could never see past the seal which kept trying to kiss me!!

Cheers badlander looks like i will be down your way later on today then[if you dont mind]will let you know how i get on.Low tide is at 3 so might head down bout 5,maybe see you there.

yes, I get a bit bothered by Seals, especially on the north cornish coast.

My Dad always tells me not to worry its not the breeding season, thats when you need to worry as they get aggresive.....

BUT... he has failed ever to tell me when this breeding season is! .. any ideas? , and can they be agressive at that time?

Took the boat out yesterday in falmouth bay,dived off rosemullion point,saw some bass and a lone mullet but no fish taken,decided to try another spot but the engine was not having any of it.Long row back to the beach!...Conditions were too good to pass up though so headed back out off the beach and managed one bass.All's well that ends well i guess.

Got out on the north coast nr. Pendeen. Mullet , but no Bass. Some difficulties as I have ear infections in both ears, as I am suffering more and more from narrowing ear canels. , so hunted from the surface. Still 1 mullet.

Really pleased with the Omer xxv gold (wifes just reminded me that it was her mothering days present from our daughter...)!

Reactions: Old Man Dave
I also have been getting ear infections, i just have to stop diving when i get one but they normally go away after 3 days.

Its the opposite at my spots down torquay bass but no mullet!.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT