• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

COVID, freediving and vaccination

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hansa123

Feb 26, 2021
Hey there,
(sorry if this is the wrong subforum) I have to admit I am super scared of COVID. While I am healthy and young (30y), there are too many stories about "long COVID" and people with ruined health and lungs. I am rather low risk (home office) but still, when summer comes I want to meet people and go diving of course. So I wonder, what is your take on vaccinations? Would you take anything as soon as possible? Or wait for a specific vaccine? I heard that basically any vaccine out there reduces your risk to catch COVID to about 50% and prevents like 99% of all severe cases. So even if I get it, long term lung damage is then usually not possible then? Is this somewhat correct? Or do you think vaccine side effects are also problematic?

Hey there,
(sorry if this is the wrong subforum) I have to admit I am super scared of COVID. While I am healthy and young (30y), there are too many stories about "long COVID" and people with ruined health and lungs. I am rather low risk (home office) but still, when summer comes I want to meet people and go diving of course. So I wonder, what is your take on vaccinations? Would you take anything as soon as possible? Or wait for a specific vaccine? I heard that basically any vaccine out there reduces your risk to catch COVID to about 50% and prevents like 99% of all severe cases. So even if I get it, long term lung damage is then usually not possible then? Is this somewhat correct? Or do you think vaccine side effects are also problematic?
Touchy subject for some out there, but my opinion is to get vaccinated, period. It's all about reducing your chances to contract the virus. I believe each one may have their pros and cons, but overall effective in helping to prevent and mitigate symptoms if caught. Severe side effects from the vaccine are extremely rare and still worth the risk taking the vaccine vs risk getting COVID and suffering those symptoms.

My main concern is me infecting others more vulnerable. Personally, it would be COVID affecting my ability to dive, i.e. my lungs, like you mentioned.

I've been vaccinated with Moderna. The 2nd shot gave me chills, fever, and headache for a day, then gone the next. If that's what it takes to be protected, then I'd gladly go through that again.

Reactions: marco15499
I've been vaccinated. I felt no effects at all excpet some soreness on my arm after the second shot. My wife felt tired and achy the day after her second shot but was fine the day after that. I do my freedive practice at the pool and I don't notice any change in my breath hold abilities. Just my experience.

One must try and choose the correct vaccine for their demographic and of course availability will be a factor. If I recall there is at least one vaccine that was not advised for the younger people because the risks did outweigh the benefit. The statistical chances of a serious complication from a vaccine for younger people are about the same as a poor outcome from the virus. There is still very little known about transmission as even couples in my family who have done no measure of limiting personal intimacy will find one spouse getting the virus and the other will not. Above all, as with any vaccine, there is no substitute for strong immune system from a healthy lifestyle. Even vaccines can be useless if the body doesn't have much of an immune system to respond with, ~.1% are still susceptible to infection after vaccination.

Reactions: HLanger1955
Get the vaccine; its a no-brainer. This is a really nasty disease, with hidden, long term impacts. I had covid a year ago. The obvious symptoms were mild and resolved in two weeks, but recovery to full diving ability was a 5 month process. I still show slightly lower 02 saturation, looks like its permanent, might even be getting worse.

Vaccine side effects are insignificant relative to what covid can do to you. Get it as fast as you can.

Nobody knows if the vaccine will completely prevent long term, subtle damage like mine. Probably does, IMHO, but you know how much that is worth.

Get the vaccine; its a no-brainer. This is a really nasty disease, with hidden, long term impacts. I had covid a year ago. The obvious symptoms were mild and resolved in two weeks, but recovery to full diving ability was a 5 month process. I still show slightly lower 02 saturation, looks like its permanent, might even be getting worse.

Vaccine side effects are insignificant relative to what covid can do to you. Get it as fast as you can.

Nobody knows if the vaccine will completely prevent long term, subtle damage like mine. Probably does, IMHO, but you know how much that is worth.
Covid 19 has not been isolated therefore how can they have a vaccine

This is the biggest scam on humanity.

BTW masks don't work!

Sit and shake if you want in terror.

Reactions: Roxton

BTW masks don't work!

Whilst I respect your right to have an opinion, you're misinformed.

BTW masks don't work!

I agree completely on this ! Very intelligent comment, must be a very a person that undertstands methodology and have the right research criteria on any topic, Congrats

Hi everybody
I got covid at the beginning of February of this year. My experience was similar to that of cdavis. My symptoms were mild. Actually, I’ve had flus and even colds that were much worse than this before in my lifetime. Where this disease differed for me though is its duration. Generally for me flu or cold lasts a week to 10 days, maybe at most 3 weeks with one particularly bad case of flu I had when I was younger. It’s now been 10 weeks and I still feel it on my lungs. Although I’m still diving I can feel my lungs are not the same as pre-covid. This is a serious problem for me, firstly because I love the ocean and everything diving related and secondly because I’m a commercial diver and my career depends on healthy lungs. I’m reasonably fit and try live healthy, but if I get a chance to take the vaccine I’m taking it. I’ll take my chances with that rather than with covid. Whatever is in there can’t be much worse than all the preservatives and heavy metals that’s in our food. I already have to get a yellow fever vaccination every few years to work in West Africa and coming from South Africa I’ve had many other vaccinations during my life. Now I just have to get another one.
With regards to which vaccine to get, well for me that will obviously depend on which ones are available in SA. It seems it’ll still be some time before I’ll get the chance in my country to get vaccinated then I’ll have to see what vaccine it is.
Anyway good people
Stay safe and whatever your stance is on the vaccine I would suggest the best thing is to try just avoid getting this disease completely. It might not kill you, but it might also stop you from enjoying what you love

Reactions: annc and xristos

BTW masks don't work!

This kind of irrational stuff makes me a bit crazy. Nothing in Scotts post is true, yet a lot of people believe such stuff and worse. I don't get it.

No, your brainwashed!

Go ahead and line up for your jab. Fauci is your buddy.

I am very well informed.
As I said, you're welcome to your opinion, and if you haven't seen any evidence of CoVID-19 being real, then perhaps your opinion is justified. However, my partner is a medical professional and has been deeply involved in the CoVID-19 response, and so I maintain that my opinion is also justified.

Note also that I have no problem with people choosing against vaccination - not that Dr. Fauci is relevant to me at all since I am not American. I will choose to be vaccinated, but I would never advocate forced vaccinations.

It may be that some people would choose against vaccination because they feel that the risk posed to them by the vaccine outweighs that posed by the virus itself, and that's a perfectly reasonable way to make a decision (even though statistics so far do not support it). However, my feeling is that the risk posed to me personally by the vaccine is far outweighed by the risk posed by the virus both to myself and to society, and in this regard I view my own vaccination as a moral and societal duty. Furthermore, the more people choose against vaccination, the greater the likelihood that we will see resurgence and mutation, which will pose an additional risk to everyone in the future.

Hello cdavis

I don't think my simple accurate post makes you crazy. I think it's a reality of being subjected to main stream media instilling fear in you.

Show us the results of your research in the fact that COVID-19 has been isolated. It has not.

I spent decades towing PPE for Chemical Biological, Radiological and Nuclear around the world. I had to wear it all the time under constant training. A scarf or N95 mask gives zero protection. The DOD provides equipment for different levels of Mission Oriented Protective Posture. MOPP Look it up! They do not provide scarfs or masks but do provide injectors, drugs charcoal suites, gloves, liners, boots, gasmasks M9 tape. but never a silly mask.

Now let's talk about the PCR test Sparky. The inventor was Kary Mullis. He says in no way was the test designed for, or will work for, objective determination of Covid-19.

Fauci is a fraud and has spent decades misleading the government and public on scary things that will kill everyone. Look it up. He was Mr Aid's in the 80's and 90's

Gates is one of the worst. Check out James Corbett's reports.

cdavis I think you can "get" the truth! You have the choice to understand the truth and science or cower scared in the corner.

Don't let that Global Warming get you! Ha Ha

Reactions: Roxton
As I said, you're welcome to your opinion, and if you haven't seen any evidence of CoVID-19 being real, then perhaps your opinion is justified. However, my partner is a medical professional and has been deeply involved in the CoVID-19 response, and so I maintain that my opinion is also justified.

Note also that I have no problem with people choosing against vaccination - not that Dr. Fauci is relevant to me at all since I am not American. I will choose to be vaccinated, but I would never advocate forced vaccinations.

It may be that some people would choose against vaccination because they feel that the risk posed to them by the vaccine outweighs that posed by the virus itself, and that's a perfectly reasonable way to make a decision (even though statistics so far do not support it). However, my feeling is that the risk posed to me personally by the vaccine is far outweighed by the risk posed by the virus both to myself and to society, and in this regard I view my own vaccination as a moral and societal duty. Furthermore, the more people choose against vaccination, the greater the likelihood that we will see resurgence and mutation, which will pose an additional risk to everyone in the future.
Yes, I am allowed to my objective opinion based on facts, statistics and science.

Until they can isolate COVID-19 it is impossible to create a vaccine. It's like the flu shot it doesn't work and only makes people sick.

I highly suggest you hide in your house because anyone that does at least 40 hours of research is not going to allow them to be injected with that stuff.

Yes, I am allowed to my objective opinion based on facts, statistics and science.

Until they can isolate COVID-19 it is impossible to create a vaccine. It's like the flu shot it doesn't work and only makes people sick.

I highly suggest you hide in your house because anyone that does at least 40 hours of research is not going to allow them to be injected with that stuff.
Since you appear to be American (which I say based on you having mentioned Dr. Fauci and US military terms, rather than assumption), I decided it would be best to cite a US source to refute your claim that CoVID-19 (or rather SARS-CoV-2) has not been isolated. Here it is, from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/grows-virus-cell-culture.html. The very first line reads: 'SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, was isolated in the laboratory and is available for research by the scientific and medical community'. You could find similar statements from plenty of other reliable and verifiable medical sources.

As an aside: I don't think Edward Jenner actually isolated smallpox, which I believe remains the only disease eradicated by vaccination, so the idea that a vaccine cannot be created without isolating the vaccine in question is in itself spurious.

I accept that there are risks involved in taking any vaccine, not least vaccines developed by such novel means as many of the CoVID-19 vaccines, but as I said, I believe they are outweighed by the benefits. There are risks involved in diving as well, but I accept them because they are, to me, outweighed by the pleasure I get from diving. Most of my friends and family do not agree with me, and so they do not go diving, and I am fine with that - I do not try to convince them that they are wrong, or stupid, or blinkered, or brainwashed.

Touchy subject for some out there, but my opinion is to get vaccinated, period. It's all about reducing your chances to contract the virus. I believe each one may have their pros and cons, but overall effective in helping to prevent and mitigate symptoms if caught. Severe side effects from the vaccine are extremely rare and still worth the risk taking the vaccine vs risk getting COVID and suffering those symptoms.

My main concern is me infecting others more vulnerable. Personally, it would be COVID affecting my ability to dive, i.e. my lungs, like you mentioned.

I've been vaccinated with Moderna. The 2nd shot gave me chills, fever, and headache for a day, then gone the next. If that's what it takes to be protected, then I'd gladly go through that again.
I agree with your opinion. I will just add that I've had both shots of Moderna with no side effects; but would gladly accept them to continue diving... and living.

Since you appear to be American (which I say based on you having mentioned Dr. Fauci and US military terms, rather than assumption), I decided it would be best to cite a US source to refute your claim that CoVID-19 (or rather SARS-CoV-2) has not been isolated. Here it is, from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/grows-virus-cell-culture.html. The very first line reads: 'SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, was isolated in the laboratory and is available for research by the scientific and medical community'. You could find similar statements from plenty of other reliable and verifiable medical sources.

As an aside: I don't think Edward Jenner actually isolated smallpox, which I believe remains the only disease eradicated by vaccination, so the idea that a vaccine cannot be created without isolating the vaccine in question is in itself spurious.

I accept that there are risks involved in taking any vaccine, not least vaccines developed by such novel means as many of the CoVID-19 vaccines, but as I said, I believe they are outweighed by the benefits. There are risks involved in diving as well, but I accept them because they are, to me, outweighed by the pleasure I get from diving. Most of my friends and family do not agree with me, and so they do not go diving, and I am fine with that - I do not try to convince them that they are wrong, or stupid, or blinkered, or brainwashed.
First of all you write very well and it seems your willing to do research.

I would like to apologize if I called you "wrong, or stupid, or blinkered, or brainwashed."

Yes, I am American but I currently live on a small Island in the South Pacific.. We have some serious threats here such as Dengue fever and Malaria. I have personally known many people who have contracted these through zoonosis. I even funded their treatment.. It happens. I have never had first hand account of anyone that got Covid-19.

This archipelago where I live is over 7,000 Islands. I have an old friend who I worked with over a decade that lives here as well. For travel clearance he had to get the PCR test. He is well trained and smart so he had them do two tests, each nostril. One was negative and one was positive. The creator of the test Karry Mullis said the test Is not valid for covid period. Check Karry out.

You brought up the point that the CDC has isolated SARS-CoV-2. Covid-19 is a different biological entity. They mutate. COVID 19 has not been isolated. James Corbett out of japan has covered it extensively

Let me tell you the truth. I went through vaccines my whole life. Some of the worst was Anthrax. I lost quite a few co-workers from it. That damn flu shot put many on their backs in bed for a week.

I lived in and out of Korea for ten years and never got TB. To get residency in Asia you are heavily screened for TB. I have had residency in many Asian countries.

I don't worry about the possibility of getting something, I worry about the treatment when I don't have it.

MRNA is scary stuff.

I am also a professional diver and instructor on many aspects of underwater exploration and work. I agree it is not for everyone.

Good morning,

I work as an ER nurse and received the Pfizer vaccine. With both shots my only side effect was a sore arm at the injection site, quickly relieved with ibuprofen.
My husband has always worked from home (even before the pandemic) and now that’s he’s eligible, received the first shot of the Modern vaccine. He is scheduled to get the second this week. His side effects to the first shot mirrored mine.

The hospital I work for made the vaccine voluntary. I chose to get it not only because I’m exposed at work, but I believe it will soon be that “golden ticket” to travel abroad.

That said, I believe any and all vaccines should be the individual’s choice. Nothing has made me more angry than seeing personal freedoms taken away, and economies ruined. Particularly in poorer countries, starving to death is a far worse fate than potentially being one of the few people who dies from COVID.
I’m concerned that in the future governments will use any disease as an excuse to shut down the world again.

Enough of my soapbox...I got the Covid vaccine just like I get the flu vaccine every year. I also have received the various Hepatitis vaccines, again both due to my increased risk for exposure at work, but also because of where I travel in the world.

We have opinions from both sides of the aisle here, and I am confident you’ll do the right thing for you. Please just realize the consequences, either way, if you receive the vaccine or not.

Covid? I just dive and dive. I do believe by diving, sea water enters your nostrils thus neutralizing the effects of covid. Seawater is saline,which kills bacterias and viruses. I remember the reply of ensign Gay after being fetched out of water when asked by the M.O. on what he did to his wounds as there were no signs of infection, "Soak it in saltwater for 3 days".
Vit C plus sunshine. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT