• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dahab News Thread - POST NEWS IN HERE!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: Dahab New Thread - Post In Here!!

andy güldner is fine as well. he just called me. local phone lines here don't work as supposedly the net was switched off by the authorities.

...speechless

69link said:
Hi Said! Long time no see. Thanks for the info. I was just about to order 4 plane tickets for Dahab when my friend called me and said there were some explosions. Now I dont know what to do.

My Friend Annelie just traveled from Sweden to Dahab today. If anyone has some news about her it would be most appreciated!

Hope to see you there anyway and I hope your friend is ok!

Said

Last edited:

immerlustig said:
local phone lines here don't work as supposedly the net was switched off by the authorities.
From my sad experience sometimes the communication networks can't stand the load after such a thing, too many people are trying to contact each other.

Last edited:

Does anyone know the extend of Sam's injuries?

So glad to hear of the people that are ok, waiting nervously for the remainder.

What the hell is wrong with the world?

News being reported that it was a Marketplace, Hotel and Dive Centre being hit. This is coming straight off the news agencies however most news coming out is very confused.

Sam has suffered a small shrapnel wound to his leg. I do not believe it to be too serious. This news came direct from Sam's family as I was talking to them.

Reuters are reporting: An interior ministry spokesman confirmed the blasts. "There were explosions, but the picture is still not clear"

Anyone know if Fred Stone is OK ( Turtle )??

I just left Dahab a while ago. Cannot belive terrorist were walking the streets and planning an attack. Its really really sad.

Roland, glad you are ok. I wonder if you have seen Fred and Annelie.

Roland I am very happy you are still here: I'm not done with you yet. Thanks for keeping us in the know. Stay safe brother.
Peace,
erik Y.

Hi Roland,

Glad that you're okay. Sorry to hear of this news! :(

Anyone have news or ideas on the political context of this bombing?

Pete

No news at all on political context. This follows on from 2004 Taba and 2005 Sharm bombings. I have been working with the BBC and they are reporting it is difficult to find information out of Dahab at the moment.

Al Jazeera just published this:

The explosions took place at the Nelson Restaurant, the Aladdin Cafeteria and the Ghazala Supermarket, the Interior Ministry said.

From swedish news:

The swede Peter Ericson, who runs a divecenter in Dahab together with his wife Lotta became an eyewitness to the explosions
- The first bomb exploded about 15 meters from where were sitting and blew a horse and an egyptian up into the air. The second bomb was on the other side of the bridge. The third bomb was roughly 100 meters further up in the center of tourist area, on the way down to the beachwalk and there I didn't see the devistation but next to me there were mutulated bodies, he tells swedish television.

my friends, as you know from my bio i'm a professional journalist, so i'm h24flooded with news from press agencies, but i'm sure you dont' want me to flood this forum too: I just can say that no names of victims are known by now, and I think such detailed news will hardly come soon. Some witnesses specify nationality of victims, but they are uncontrolled source. Let's wait and pray for our loved ones.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT