• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dahab News Thread - POST NEWS IN HERE!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I am not going to Dahab anymore (but it's actually another party insisting I dont go....)

I will go later on during the year though! There is someone on DB who's signature says "Never ever give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

There must be opportunities for Intel guys down in Egypt... I believe that if there was somebody in these touristic towns would have known this was going to happen. More moles needed :(

If there are any families/dive centres in Dahab needing financial support for cleanup/injury etc during this time could they let us know?

I fear they will need more support we will hardly be able to give during the main summer season this year when the rooms stay empty :(

Robert

hi,
i just spoke with somebody from the swiss embassy, and they told me brigitte is still in cairo, and they are movng her to switzerland 5p.m. and she will get operated once there. they said she lost a lot of blood, but she received all she needed and she's awake and conscious. her foot doesn't sound to be so good though, this is why they take her in a hospital at home. i'm sure her family is informed of that, but patrick, lease, can yu make a phone call to them? we don't have any contact here, her bag disappeared with her phone.

i spoke to sam one hour ago and he sounded fine. he's being operated now to take the sharpnels out of his neck but it's some superficial stuff so it's not so worrying. he said he'll call me back as soon as possible. we don't know yet if embassy is going to move him to uk or not, but he said he doesn't want. there's a friend there now with him.

as for the comp we still don't know yet, we get inquiries from people, nobody canceled yet. natalia wrote she still wants to come and make some more worldrecords. i'll keep you updated about that. but who wants more details can contact me at
linda@freedivedahab.com

and yes, we have people from holland coming today and starting a course tomorrow! very courageous!
lotta and peter are now at the deco chamber getting their ears checked because they were just few meters away from one of the explosions, and they both have pain in their ears.
last night i left the guys just half an hour before the explosions, and i was home cooking when it happened. it still didn't register in my head, even though i was at the hospital half an hour later looking for brigitte and sam, and i saw in what conditions people were. it still seems so unreal.

linda

I have just had contact with Swiss Air Ambulance Services regarding Brigitte. She is beeing repatriated today afternoon for treatment in a Clinic here.

Dear Sarah
As one that do not live in dahab & live in Israel i can say that
Most of the people in Dahab are great people, they live from
Tourism

So to prefer not to go there anymore
Will do the opposite which means that terror wins again
Smashing people dreams for good nice & cheep vacations
Destroying lots of good families work & jobs
Create what the terrorist exactly wants to do
This is creating & inviting more terrorism

Sad it is
But we are trying to live with all those threats all over the world
There is No such a place that is secured from terrorism in our world
USA, Spain, Israel Bali & more ………( maybe Canada :t )
I would like to say that I hope to see some DB members there in Dahab
Maybe you also
My best regards
My deep consolation to the families of the victims
Full recovery for the wounded may god help you to recover fast
And may god save us all
Eyal

My thoughts are with you all in Dahab... not sure what more to say, I'm speechless...

Donna

First of all thank you to all for keeping Deeperblue updated with news, then I would like to send my sympathy for all the victims, and hop that all injured get well soon. This said we must not let the bombers win and scare us away. If they do they only prove that it pays off to have disrespect (or non at all) for other people and life in general.
I called the airline company today just to make sure that they ware still flying for the Umberto course in Sharm. Of course it makes me nervous going there but I can also get severely injured or killed on my way to work tomorrow, but that still doesn’t stop me from showing up at 07:00.
I hope that the victims has not suffered in vain and people will still go to Sinai.
All the best to all victims, their families and friends.

mundial said:
Dear Sarah
As one that do not live in dahab & live in Israel i can say that
Most of the people in Dahab are great people, they live from
Tourism

So to prefer not to go there anymore
Will do the opposite which means that terror wins again
Smashing people dreams for good nice & cheep vacations
Destroying lots of good families work & jobs
Create what the terrorist exactly wants to do
This is creating & inviting more terrorism

Eyal

I never said i am not going anymore... i am going later this year. i am not going as planned as i have been asked not to go at this point in time.

Keep praying for the good morale and spirits of our friends down there, and also for the speedy recovery of all those injured.

Thinking of you guys out there ... and hoping that you'll all come through. Does anyone have news about Magnus and Veronique from Emperor Divers and the rest of the Dahab crew? Please post if you know.
x

Israeli network ynetnews.com (Yedioth owned) reports that the Counter-Terrorism Bureau head Danny Arditi issued a strong warning to Israeli citizens not to travel to Sinai or to leave it if they are there already, just few weeks ago. It looks like these guys know well what's going on in advance - I wonder if anyone in place has heard abouth the warning, though I doubt people would listen to it anyway. However, it looks like watching Israeli press or official annuncements for travel warnings may be wise thing to do:

This is from the yNetNews.com article:
"According to this report there were fear that a terror attack or an abduction of Israelis in Sinai could be carried out. We strongly advised Israeli citizens to avoid all visits in Sinai, and for Israelis staying in Sinai to leave immediately," Arditi said.

He added: "I repeated the warning that Sinai is a dangerous place according to the information in our hands. Sinai is dangerous to tourists in general and to Israelis specifically. I call on everyone planning to travel to Sinai on Independence Day and in the near future not to do it and for Israelis in Sinai to return to Israel immediately."
(the Israeli Independence Day (Yom Haatzmaut) will be just in few days, on May 3, 2006)

Last edited:
First of all very sad news, good to see everybody is gathering the news and info this fast, so everybody can check up.

roger said:
I am trying to reach Peter Ericson right now. But so far no success.

We are almost leaving on a flight to Sharm, connecting to Dahab for freediving with Lotta.

I would like to talk to him if it is wise to go and if they are still expexting us.

We dont want to give in to terrorists and stay at home!!!

Good luck on the course Roger, stay safe !

I wish quick recovery to all injured and all the best to all victims, their families and friends. It is very sad.
The Dutch paper just mentioned that 8 suspects are taken up. All suspected are Egyptian people who were apprehended when trying to leave Dahab.
Peter

Duracell said:
The Dutch paper just mentioned that 8 suspects are taken up. All suspected are Egyptian people who were apprehended when trying to leave Dahab. [/FONT][/COLOR]Peter
So those irritating checkpoints might actually work.

Sebastian

If he doesn't - the rest of his family found it hilarious.
It was printed in the evening standard in London (and they'd have done it in the papers tomorrow if we hadn't corrected them. :naughty )

AltSaint said:
I understand that too much freediving can have an ageing effect, but I underestimated how much...

And forget being interviewed by the news.
Oil of Ulay and any of the other skin cream manufactures will be after him. rofl

trux said:
Israeli network ynetnews.com (Yedioth owned) reports that the Counter-Terrorism Bureau head Danny Arditi issued a strong warning to Israeli citizens not to travel to Sinai or to leave it if they are there already, just few weeks ago. It looks like these guys know well what's going on in advance - I wonder if anyone in place has heard abouth the warning, though I doubt people would listen to it anyway. However, it looks like watching Israeli press or official annuncements for travel warnings may be wise thing to do:

This is from the yNetNews.com article:
(the Israeli Independence Day (Yom Haatzmaut) will be just in few days, on May 3, 2006)

The Mosad is a dangerous down and dirty secret service but I guess it Pays out sometimes.

Robert

hi again,
the uk embassy just contacted me, and tomorrow morning they are getting me to cairo to see sam and to get him his things before he flies back to uk. so i'll take some pics of him with a shaved head and shaved legs and post them here asap!
we spoke to him several times today, and he's doing fine.
everybody around here is very very helpful even though we are all nervous and very tired.
patfish will let us know what's happening to brigitte and if they're fixing her properly!
laura, the 2 guys from emperor are fine, i've seen them today.

linda

Reactions: AltSaint
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT