• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DB spearo 'world series'

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
:D Shane you are serious on business !

nice pics Cécé!

I am indeed Memo ;)

It was a very solemn moment as I had two DEAD fish in my hands :D

Last weekend, I left for Knysna on the Southern Cape Coast with 3 buddies, Marc, Greg and David, and set off on what was hopefully the quest to get a nice Musscle cracker.
After a stop enroute for what were positively the worst pies we have ever eaten, we arrived at a place called Herolds Bay, and clean water. I elected to hunt the in-shore reefs without luck, whilst the 3 'muskateers' went and waged war with a battalion of Blue-Bottles ( Small Jelly-fish like stinging critters) They lost, and were soon back to show me the wounds, like me, fishless.

The next day we jumped in at the knysna heads, the cracker were there but very elusive. ( Especially with a float-line)
I shot a Black tail and White Stump for the braai, surprisingly few fish in clear water again.

On the way back, Marc decided to leave the reef and swim in the main channel, drifting back with the current.
He suddenly pops up, shouts, and dissapears feet first...and few seconds later, the same...yelling, breath, and woosh...gone.
The third time, his buddy is now in pursuit to see what's happening, and he sees Marc wresting a 9 kG Garrick.
Marc was on the bottom, when this beaut of a game fish, approached to give him the once over, he stayed cool, waited, and nailed it. The garrick then took off and proceeded to give Marc a kick-ass battle, hauling him under 3 times, marc eventually landed the fish, and that, as Marc said, made his weekend ! Pic attached.

Jeff

Last edited:
Is that some sort of mackerel or jack? In any case, nice fish and yeah watch out for those blue bottles; been stung by em more times than I would like to remember.

Brad

Not sure what 'family' it's from, but is called either a Garrick, or 'Leervis' here in Capetown.

Hiya

Nice fish BlueCape.

Some bad news. My buddies went diving at Clifton on Wednesday and he had his car broken in to. They stole his camera, binoculars, car radio, sunglasses, etc.:waterwork

Really sad part is that our last 3 trips photos were on that camera:waterwork :waterwork :waterwork .Whats really sad is that one of my friends has been diving for 15years and he shot his first 'tail two weeks ago. He even showed me where he weas going to hang the photo in his living room.

We were planning on going back to the same area and parking my vehicle with a camera laying on the front seat. We'd then hide in the bushes and see what happens. A couple of problems we have so far is:
what length speargun would be suitable for the perpetrator
6.5mm or 7mm spear
Powerhead or not

Any ideas on what we could call this new tecnique

Anyways, i'm going back to Struisbaai on Saturday.(need more photo's, you see !!!) Let me know if you want to join us.

Regards
mile

I Think you're looking for {I}Lichia Amia{/I} - Garrick, also called 'Leervis' In SA (Leather Fish, due to minimal scales it has)

Very tasty up to about 15kg's ...

Miles - I think that would be entrapment. What you could do, is sleep under the car - that way, if someone breaks a window, you can claim you were having a doss and woke up.

I'd recomend a 7mm, 2*20mm RA 120cm - better penetration. Oh yeah, and freeshaft - these buggers tend to go into holes and you might lose all your gear :D

Hey SASpearo

I wonder whether the police will do ballistic tests?? Would like to see the forensic guys try and figure that one out :D :D

Was thinking about using rusted spears as well. Some blood poisening isn't too bad.................

Only thing left now is to figure out how to stringer the bugger once he's been caught:D :D :D

miles

Oh, that's easy.

In behind the ear, out the mouth. Make sure you use stainless stringer - otherwise the meat might get spoiled :D

Hey Miles

Sorry to hear that dude ! I went hunting at the Antipolis a couple of weeks back, and parked right outside the 12 Apostels hotel.
I then asked the hotel guard to watch my van, and after the dive, gave him one of my 2 Hottentot. He was stoked, and offered to do it always, so maybe try that.

Good luck at Struissbaai dude, sorry cannot make it, but am back in Knysna thursday after next for 4 days. Welcome to join us !

Cheers

Jeff

Hiya

Well, another weekend gone...........

Since my buddies camera was stolen out of his car and along with that my photos of my 11kg yellowtail gone as well, we decided to go back up to Struisbaai so that we can get some more photo's:D :D :D

Launced at 7:00. Was on the 6mile bank but there were too many fishing boats. Did a couple of dives on the outside of the boats but my buddies saw only small 'tail (1-2kg's). Then left and went to the wreck of the pioneer. I buggied the boat whilst my two friends jumped in. Drifted for a while when i saw my on friend battling with a nice fish. He shot a 13kg 'tail !!!. He shot his first 'tail two weekends ago and now a personal biggest fish for him. After 15years of diving, WELL DONE!!!! After the congratulations and high fives, he told me that there were even bigger ones in the school and that since he shot his fish, i should junp in and shoot one as well. Now THAT'S what you call a very good spearing partner!!!. My other buddy who was in the water at the time, had a 20kg fish swim right up to him. He didn't shoot because he had no reel on his gun or a floatline (serves him right for being too lazy to clip on his floatline!!)

After that, no more 'tail and we spent the rest of the morning shooting reef fish. I managed two red stumpnoses in the 3-5kg class (prized eating fish). My personal best for this species. All in all a nice dive, with no sharks at all and got to test out my new omer pelagic 100 reel and C4 Monoscocca gun. Definitely two thumbs up on both items. C4 is now my all time favourite gun!!!

Back at the harbour we bumped in some other friends. Attie managed to shoot a 18kg 'tail with no reel or float line. Just gun in the hand. Didn't even hit any vital organs. Spear went through the back of the fish. Fish pulled him under 5 times. Almost drowned him in the process!!!! Now thats insane!!!

Regards
miles

I really really wanna dive in SA waters, those stories make me hungry :D

Hiya all

Finally some pictures:

My friend Nico witha 13kg Yellowtail (his second yellowtail that he has shot!!!:D :D )

Attachments

• nico yellowtail 13kg.jpg
    nico yellowtail 13kg.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 319
Attie witha 18kg yellowtail

Attachments

• attie yellowtail 18kg.jpg
    attie yellowtail 18kg.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 340
Maruis with a 4kg Red Stumpnose

Attachments

• maruis red stumpnose 4kg.jpg
    maruis red stumpnose 4kg.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 317
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT