• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DIY Fluid Goggles

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The only major idea that has not already been tried in fluid goggles is the concave air cavity.

To use a concave lens, the refractive index of the glass needs to be less than water. Since water is 1.33, virtually no solid is less than that except for Teflon AF (1.29), and that is still too close. So the only material is air (1.00). So if you create a concave air cavity in front of the eye, this would have the similar power as a 1.33 lens in air (except it is a 1.00 lens in 1.33 water).

Hi

this weekend i made my first working fluidgoggles with lenses from edmund in the uk. GREAT. HArd work to get the right angle with my enourmous head. hihi
Due to an ilness i have a lot time and looked in the internet and found this

JAEGERS 19MM DIAMETER PYREX PCX LENS, 20MM FL - Surplus Shed

perhaps this would be a good alternativ to the rather expensiv edmund lenses almost 20 $ vs 3 $!!!!!

Tobi

I just ordered 2 pairs of them. Will see.

I just ordered 2 pairs of them. Will see.

I tried them before I used Edmunds but it didn't work, image was too blurry to the point it was useless... It has to be medical grade lens (more $$$) unfortunately

I tried them before I used Edmunds but it didn't work, image was too blurry to the point it was useless... It has to be medical grade lens (more $$$) unfortunately

ahh. They just arrived. I try them anyway, maybe it will works for me (im wearing glasses).

ahh. They just arrived. I try them anyway, maybe it will works for me (im wearing glasses).

Yep, at this point try them at least. When You go underwater with them just grab Your goggles and shift them into Your nose and away (sideways) That way
You can find sweet spot for lens position vs Your eyes. Small change can make big difference so make sure Your goggles allow for nose width adjustment.
Place Your dive computer on the bottom of the pool and try to read it while moving Your goggles

Thanks for this magnificent thread

Nostres, you tested the lenses Surplus Shed and has not worked? I ordered some of these lenses.

Which model you experienced?

JAEGERS 19MM DIAMETER PYREX PCX LENS, 20MM FL - Surplus Shed

or model that appears to make a search page Lens Finder - Surplus Shed with PCX lens type, diameter 20 and focal length 20.

What do you think could be the problem? Which lens would you recommend?

thanks

AX23086 from below chart is exact item number I ended up with and are the best of all lenses I used in this project.

http://www.anchoroptics.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=367

Many divers from Poland have the same lenses, they compete in Czech competitions often. Maybe You know some of them so next time ask to try

Last edited:
We've made today a pair of goggles with the very same lens. Ready to test them on friday into the pool... We'll see...

Yep, at this point try them at least. When You go underwater with them just grab Your goggles and shift them into Your nose and away (sideways) That way
You can find sweet spot for lens position vs Your eyes. Small change can make big difference so make sure Your goggles allow for nose width adjustment.
Place Your dive computer on the bottom of the pool and try to read it while moving Your goggles

So... i tried them today in pool. I hoped they will work for me and result is same as yours -> cant see s**t, cant focus with them. No sweet spot, no nothing.
Do not buy them!

We tried our ones on friday and the results were better than expected. Out of the water my vision was "doubled" a bit but under the water it looks perfect. We filled them with saline solution and it feels cold in the eye but it eventually turned warmer and less rare.
I hope we can dive this week in the ocean with the noseclip and see what happens.

Anchoroptics... The minor issue was the impossibility to adjust the eye-lens distance on the pool goggles. Any advice?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310942126.195880.jpg

This are our goggles.

Here is my self made fluid goggles, Hibbs style.

Bit hard to cut the plastic glass and stick the goggles in the right position but seems it was made ok. Test within the next days..

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 353
How did you get the lenses clued in? For me the optimal distance seems to be right where the glass is.

Tobi

I made two nice circle cuts on the goggles plastic glass and glued the lenses at that level with aquarium silicon.

I have tested on the water the other day but the distance between my eye and lense is not right so I'm on the case again fixing others with bigger distance..

Here is my self made fluid goggles, Hibbs style.

Bit hard to cut the plastic glass and stick the goggles in the right position but seems it was made ok. Test within the next days..

Hi dimitris33,

Could you specify the detail how you glue the lenses on the goggles?
It looks very great!
Thanks.

Hello all,

I haven't frequent DB for a while, so I thought I'd add to the tribal knowledge.

I'm attaching some frame grabs from a video Piotr Piorek (Nostres here on DB) made of us in Hawaii last year of a pair of fluid goggles I made. It's a hybrid design. The lenses are mounted through the goggles 'Hibbs' style, but I sliced another pair of goggles and put it over that, then drilled a couple of drain/fill holes in between. This way the lens is inside another flat interface so you can see above water 'Fattah' style. They are also exceedingly comfortable to wear because my eyes & eyelashes can move about without hitting anything in front. The goggles from Tyr and Finis happened to have the right shape, so there you go.

Here is the video (Thanks Nostres!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd5o48_Kl6w]COOLEST GADGETS for freediving - YouTube[/ame]

the goggles portion is at 4:40 - 5:37

Cheers,

Peter S.

Attachments

• F-H goggles 1.jpg
    F-H goggles 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 306
  • F-H goggles 2.jpg
    F-H goggles 2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 305
  • F-H goggles 3.jpg
    F-H goggles 3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 294
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT