• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
erm, bit of a change of subject, so sorry :)

Just posted in the Beach Bar, and thought I'd introduce myself here. My name's Rick, I live in Cranborne, Dorset. Just taken up spearing as a means to get in the water when the surfs not good (i.e. most of the time in Dorset lol). I go to K-Bay / Swanage / Ringstead a lot, so if anyone's stuck for a buddy on a w/e and doesn't mind hanging out with a twattish amateur in a surf suit then give me a shout!

Cheers all...

Twattish amateurs in a surf suits are the way forward mate! Welcome to DB. :friday You are welcome to come down and fish with us around Portland when you want.

Bryn.

the_milkman said:
erm, bit of a change of subject, so sorry :)

Just posted in the Beach Bar, and thought I'd introduce myself here. My name's Rick, I live in Cranborne, Dorset. Just taken up spearing as a means to get in the water when the surfs not good (i.e. most of the time in Dorset lol). I go to K-Bay / Swanage / Ringstead a lot, so if anyone's stuck for a buddy on a w/e and doesn't mind hanging out with a twattish amateur in a surf suit then give me a shout!

Cheers all...

Hi guys, just back from Durban and actually looking forward to some nice civilised english bass!rofl
Hey Milkman, loadsa guys get into it just how you are doing. Dive when it's flat!
P.S Glowworm...got in with Rowan on Saturday...just before I left. He was at it again! I'll post a photo under a more relevent trip report section [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=66361"]HERE[/ame]

cheers

Last edited:
thanks guys and cheers! :friday

have any of you ever fished Broad Bench at Kimmeridge? I surf there a lot and there is an awesome drop off on the East side of the bench - a massive reef wall. The water's pretty clear on a calm day too. Reckon it could be ace, but would be interested to hear first hand reports...

UK Spearo said:
Ade, Now I'm confused.... looking at that Diag it looks the same as last year ie permit holders only on the arms... Can't remember where I heard it from now...

My boat's here finally. When I paid my harbour dues yesterday the leaflet I was given states; No fishing within 150 metres of the harbour wall with ROD and LINE. It also states that to dive in the orange areas you'll need a diving permit. You can argue that spearfishing isn't diving and you can probably argue the scale of the map isn't brilliant so where do the areas start and finnish. The bottom line is, if the Harbour master wants you to move you've gotta move.

P.S still no vis in the harbour yet.:(

Broad Bench @ Kimmeridge is a place i have fished with rod and line a few times, but not speared yet. It is a well known bass mark and that is all you really need to know! Find the right tide/vis/weather conditions (experiment) and you will get bass on your stringer :) . Keep your eye out for lobsters around there too...

Hello all
Myself and a friend have not be spearing that long (another pair of twat’s in surf suits) we have had limited success around durdle door just a few mullet and some spider and edible crabs although we have seen some very nice bass. Unfortunately neither of us dive so we are limited to the snorkel only. We’ve had a look at lulworth cove but it seems like there it a lot of boat traffic and not wanting to get one in the ear have stayed out, as for Portland itself not to sure about the tide situation or water depth for us lowly snorkelers.
Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated by 2 of the newbe’s to the sport.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Podge,

Many spearos hunt Lulworth Cove with varying degrees of success; it's hosted many British Nationals over the years. Make sure you have a float near you because of boats (still no guarantee from the twats on jetskis). Speak with Bryn at Portland Oceaneering ref: Portland as it is a good spearing area but he will point you in the right direction. All the Dorset/Devon coast is fair game depending on weather/tides/tourism etc. If a place looks good just jump in and find out; you might just get lucky :)

Spaniard you’re a legend
Before we come down will speak to Bryn for some local info.
And as for "if it looks good just jump in" What a philosophy how can we go wrong I love it.:) :)
Thanks very much and may all your trips bring the bounty you desire.
Paul

podge - speak to Bryn as Spaniard said - he is 'nearlyafish' on here or see his web site http://www.portlandspearoacademy.co.uk

He runs a course on freediving and will get you down to 15mtrs easy. All the saftey stuff is covered etc etc. I think he also employess a local spearo for the second days training to help with spearing technics and tips.

UK Spearo
Thanks for that will have a look at the web site.
"15 meters easy" if he can get me down that far and back to the top without me becoming more water logged than I’m supposed to be I buy the man a beer.:) :)

Hey boys. Thought this might get your juices flowing. You wouldn't want a couple of "Islanders" to put you to shame, would you? :t .

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=597806&postcount=500"]DeeperBlue Forums - View Single Post - Guernsey 2006[/ame]

Dave :) .

Stop it Dave....think of the psychological damage you may be inflicting on some of the guys...rofl

Gee thanks Dave I was just getting to grips with the thought of no diving next week!!! I will just have to immerse myself in the wonderful Cumbrian countryside and enjoy a weeks fly fishing – life is hell!

Podge – Bryn will get you down 15m no problem, but don’t buy him a beer or you will never get rid of him rofl

NIce one old man Dave - I'm in some hot spots tomorrow..... We'll see what comes out.

Whats that big hot yellow ball thing in the sky??????

Reactions: Almostafish
Hey Hey! Thank you to Spaniard, UK spearo and Flyflicker for the spearo lead. I have been in touch with Podge and he and his mate will be on a course when we can work out dates, and yes I will need the help of a local spearo..Uk

I have just been out to test all my new Omer gear, Shite viz at 10-12m around Chesil cove but Tar rocks were OK but a large lack of fish.. I was out for a jolly anyway so no great loss.

UK Spearo, those 50's i stumbled on are great for getting under and around weedy rocks and pack enough punch to sent the spear flat and straight till the bungee stops em... lovely trigger to.

Spaniard one small thing is that I am nothing to do with Portland oceaneering, just for future ref. Thanks anyway and hope to see you out with us one day.

Flyflicker.. Just one more beer, be rude not too!

Got a huge wrasse for my pots so I suppose its lobster and crab all next week too.. Ah well its a hard life in sunny Dorset!

B.:)

Almostafish said:
Spaniard one small thing is that I am nothing to do with Portland oceaneering, just for future ref. Thanks anyway......

Oops sorry mate. Yes I hope to get down to Portland soon. A few years ago I was down most weekends over the summer but now I run my own business and I can't even get to the Pub when I want....;) Is there a National comp this year at Portland?

Spaniard, the Portland comp is on the 22nd of July and Ringstead is the next day. Glowworm and myself are aiming to enter although i really need to get some practice in ASAP!
I'm around from thursday till sunday next week and then again the following weekend if anyone fancies getting out. I'm also tempted to try the west side of the Bill, any tips?

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT