• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Cheers for the info. I might try one of the 2 comps. I've done Ringstead before but Portland is more challenging. Is the start at Pulpit rock?

Reactions: Almostafish
First dive at Tilly Whim today in this sunny weather. I did not see any bass at all.:head And very few of the other usual suspects. Took one size pollock which went towards fostering good relations with the lone shore angler with nothing in his bag.
What I did enjoy picking up was 5 lobsters so that will be me mixing the garlic butter tomorrow:p :p
Vis was about 7m

Regards

Reactions: Mr. X
What is the VIz like at the moment? Considering coming down to ringstead today or tomorrow.... Looks nice and still down there but is the winnd getting up?

I went in from South east side of the island and drifted up to grove point then back down to my start point. 5 hours in the water and only two farting schooly bass and a big wrasse for the Lpot.. Where the Hell are all the fish? The bait fish are out in force and so were the garfish but I did not see one mullet.. In 5 hours.. Thats just not normal. Lots of crabs and lobsters but all too deep in holes to get. Viz was 3-4m when we got in but cleared to about 7 when we outed. Overall very nice but lots of boat traffic and Dheads on jetskis.

:)

naa there are fish there 'almost'.... I just beat you to em :t had a 3lber and a 4lber on Saturday morning.... mind you in 4 hours in the water thats all I saw - so I guess they are a bit far and few between at the moment.

Morning all, how I hate Mondays.
Went in at Durdle Door on Sunday with stuckinsurry got right up to lulworth and back with a bit of a look around the door and man of war cove.
Only saw 2 bass one was better than I was and the other was a sh*t sight faster than me. No mullet loads of wrasse some were a nice size didn’t bother them though.
Ended up with a few very nice spider crabs though, which made the salad last night was better than most.
Almostafish see you on the 18th at around 9.00ish if that’s O.K.
Will give you a bell the day before.

UK Spearo.. Laff yeah thats about right! You still missed that plaice at sandsfoot though..Ha!!:) mayby we should put flyflicker on point and let him scare all the fish towards us..??!

Podge thats fine you know my number so give me a call as you get here and we can then pick a site depending on wind and tide.

Oh also.. If any the usual dorset suspects are up for a BBQ party on the stern of one of the new RFA wave boats on saturday evening then get in touch, we need nurses and lobsters. :friday

Well Dorset boys...

Out of the harbour at around half ten on sat morn. Thanks to Buster for letting Myself and Willpower join him on an simply perfect spearing boat! Saw some schoolies around the harbour wall and a good shoal of Pollack. Nothing special so moved out to the east side. Moored up and jumped in. We saw a good amount of bait fish, especially sand eels! Even saw a young flounder swimming over the kelp (eh?!). Anyway a few dives in and already started to see some schoolies but nowt large. I caught up with Willi and he was a little gutted to have missed an opportunity on a large bass. He was sitting in weed at around 6 metres, looked to the side and there on his shoulder was a fish of around 8 lbs! Suffice to say that on eye contact it vanished, arse! That got my juices flowing and I re-loaded the new 100 to see if I could get some din dins! A few dives later I was in the kelp at around the same depth when two fish appeared out of the murk. I trained the gun on the larger fish (around six pounds, the other was a schoolie!), he turned sideways and I shot...right over his head! :head What an idiot!

We moved on further towards the bill, Buster and Willi jumped in whilst I looked after the boat (still kicking myself about that fish). After around 45 mins we were all back in the boat. Buster had nothing to report but Willi had seen two huge shoals of bass! One was full of schoolies, the other was made up of fish to around the 6lb mark! He had tried a shot and missed (must be early season rustiness!) and was reloading with all of these fish just milling around beneath him! A few more dives and he couldn't get close enough to the bigger fish to get a shot in...This news got myself and Buster in the mood again so it was back in the drink while Willi manned the boat. Short story is we shot nowt but covered some superb ground. Must fish the bill more often...

Tried again further in towards the harbour but no fish seen. And that was it, back in and fishless, after all that.

We were all impressed by the amount of fish seen. Very encouraging indeed.

Next time gadget...

fearthespear He had tried a shot and missed (must be early season rustiness!) and was reloading with all of these fish just milling around beneath him! A few more dives and he couldn't get close enough to the bigger fish to get a shot in. ..[/QUOTE said:
Good report mate.
I think we had the bass a little earlier than you guys but I had the same probs a few weeks ago. Just kept missing fish, I think the first few dives of the season are always the same.
Got my eye in now though :)

Well done Foxy, at least someone is catching! Visited Normandy last weekend (something i've always wanted to do) and was very impressed with their coastline. Have you ever speared over there?

I must say also that the war museums, visitor sites and cemeteries filled me with so much respect for everyone who was involved with the D-day landings.

I purchased a DVD featuring Christian Andre Spearing some of the war wreckage off the Normandy coast, well worth a watch if you havn't already seen it (although there is a fair bit of sponsor big-up going on!)

fearthespear - I think you will find some of us ARE cathing in and around Portland:) ... I have had 3x5lbers 1x6lber 1x8lber a 9lber and a 10lber over the past weeks..... think you may need to go to 'Spec Savers' rofl or check your spear is straight - ha ha ha ha ha......

This weekend is looking good again - although suspect I won't be in the water Saturday PM - Engerrrrland!!!!

Reactions: Mr. X
UK Spearo said:
fearthespear - I think you will find some of us ARE cathing in and around Portland:) ... I have had 3x5lbers 1x6lber 1x8lber a 9lber and a 10lber over the past weeks..... think you may need to go to 'Spec Savers' rofl or check your spear is straight - ha ha ha ha ha......

I was talking about human spearos rather than fish catching machines such as yourself!:t

No spearing this weekend for me (away for re-calibration!) but should be able to go one eve next week...can't wait! In the mean time don't empty the sea!!!

" have had 3x5lbers 1x6lber 1x8lber a 9lber and a 10lber over the past weeks..."

Well I'm impressed - didn't know wrasse grew that big. :) .

Dave.

UK Spearo said:
fearthespear - I think you will find some of us ARE cathing in and around Portland:) ... I have had 3x5lbers 1x6lber 1x8lber a 9lber and a 10lber over the past weeks.....

OMD either that or looks like he may be shooting catfish rofl rofl

Seems to be plenty of action at the moment if you know where to look! I'm going to get in tomorrow, friday and sometime over the weekend around ringstead, newtons cove, osmington, the bill, anywhere! If any one needs a buddy/wants to meet up please let me know, i'm off work so have no time constraints. Have gun, will travel! Cheers.

Last edited:
'ping' there goes another rib - you guys are sooo funy you crack me up rofl

Headed out to Portland today to see if anyone was about, but for once no one was hanging about the dive shop! Though today would have been perfect for pulling a sicky but i suppose everyone is saving them up for the football.
Went down to Sandsfoot Castle and Newtons Cove but the vis looked rubbish so headed for the other side of the bay. As i was on my own i decided to just go for a snorkel to get used to my new fins, spent about 2.5hrs in the water and had an absolute cracker. After reading a thread on here i decided to use some antibacterial soap as lube in my suit, never thought i struggled too much to put it on before but with 3 suqirts in a 2L bottle i nearly slid staight back out, can't recommend it enough.
Once in the water (which was a welcome temperature after climbing down the cliff) vis was supurb at about 7m for detail, 10m for shapes. Now i'm not sure if it was the new soap or the fact that i'd left my guns in the car but i can't remember i dive where i've see so many decent sized fish so close and curious.
First i saw some cracking wrasse who are usually quite friendly/aggressive (never sure which) as they know they're safe from me, then, when i got out over some sandy patches the bass turned up... At one point i was being tailed by about six 3-4lbers who were taking it in turns to swim circles round me and then come head on before breaking away about a foot from my face. I also experimented with not making eye contact with them and this certainly enticed them closer.
They gave up following me once i got into some string weed and i moved into the mullet, i saw loads of about 5lbs and one absolute monster which must have been 10lbs plus, if it had got any closer i might have had a crack with my knife (because i was scared of it!). On my way back i crept up on 5 more bass ranging from 3 up to about 8lbs all feasting on a spider crab and then passed through a load of little pollock.
Strangly, i didn't feel like i'd missed out on catching any of them, seeing so many fish in somewhere i expected to be fairly empty was enough of a treat, however, don't think that'll stop me heading back down there soon with the gun! I've got a trip planned with Glowworm on sunday but think i'll be getting in before then, if anyone fancies it then get in touch.

Last edited:
1 shot said:
Headed out to Portland today to see if anyone was about, but for once no one was hanging about the dive shop!

I wasn't in the dive shop because I was out on the rib with me gun. Bass city yesterday, couldn't move for the blighters. I'm out this evening (friday) straight after work. Give me a bell at the shop if you wanna come. Ade

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT