• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Dorset spearos,
I am looking for some advice regarding Dorset spearfishing. I have done all my spearfishing in Guernsey over the last few years, but I am now spending more time in Hampshire and can't get over to Guernsey very often. Any suggestions for good places to start in Dorset gratefully received. I particularly enjoy shallow water stalking in weed beds rather than the seriously deep stuff (not fit enough at the moment!) Steve

Reactions: foxfish
Steve, the quickest place I get to from Newbury is Tilly Whim. It's the clearest water with string weed/kelp etc. from 0 close in to 10m. You park at Durlston Country Park and walk down the path about 200m (steep). Google for images or check my postings.
Other than that, you have the more hit and miss sandy bays/Boscombe Pier/Kimmeridge/Lulworth/or east to Bognor Regis reefs. Best is to have a boat but I am saving that for when I return to SA.

Regards

Reactions: foxfish and Mr. X
Thanks SurfnSpear, will try Tilly Whim this weekend (love the name). Best at lowtide?
Regards Steve.

I have dived it at all stages but just watch yourself with the currents. Low is quite good though. Never needed to go to far out as all the action is close in with Lobsters too. As a caution I would double check this weekend www.magicseaweed.com I know there is going to be a bit of wind and swell about and this place is a very exposed point. It's high cliffs are quite intimidating too. I would also like to trek to Dancing Ledge sometime but have not got there yet.
Good luck and don't go in if you are not sure. Bank it for a calmer day and go to say Kimmeridge. There is a small toll there but a lovely setup. It is NOT an enforceable reserve if anyone challenges you.

Just think Steve when you lived in Guernsey all you had to do was walk across the road! :head

Ade

Let us know what the vis is like as I'm itching to get back in.

Cheers
PS> Fishing in Cumbria was great, well until this hot weather got there and put pay to day time fishing, thank goodness for Jennings beers!

Buster Lung said:
PANTS!!!!!!!!!!
:)Had a strong urge to go this weekend but can't -- so I feel a little better about it now.

Question: is Mupe Bay/Rocks (near Lulworth) off limits (thought it was on the last OS map I saw but it appeared not to be when I checked multi-map today)?

Mr X, i've dived Mupe bay and rocks a few times and don't think its off limits. The ranges are always closed at the weekends and even if you manage to get into the water in a 'Danger Area' during the week while they're firing there are usually numerous safety boats to chase you away, if in doubt ask anyone manning the range boundary gates you pass on the way.
Mupe Bay is on the very western tip of the Marine Wildlife Reserve and the rocks are just outside, conservation in the reserve is 'voluntary' so i've never had any snags about taking transient fish from it but tend to leave territorial fish and shellfish alone (this is of course down to the ethics of the individual).
If you're going to that neck of the woods for the first time i'd say try Worbarrow Bay and Pondfield first as parking at Tyneham is easy and interesting and the underwater scenery is more diverse. I wouldn't recommend picking up anything big and shiny that you may find, at the very least the range officer will go ape if he catches you carrying it back to the car!

Reactions: Mr. X
Morning gent’s out with the family this weekend (brownie point earning).
They what to go to Seaton easy parking and nice for the kids does anyone know if there’s anything to see there or is it just a baron waste land?

Thanks to surfnspear and MrX for the advice, went to Tilly Whim on sunday (bit of a climb!), great views. Vis was about 3-4 meters, no bass but a few big wrasse about (left them alone) and came back with a couple of spider crabs. Messy to pick but worth it for the sweet taste.
Thanks guys.

Reactions: foxfish
stevew said:
Thanks to surfnspear and MrX for the advice, went to Tilly Whim on sunday (bit of a climb!), great views. Vis was about 3-4 meters, no bass but a few big wrasse about (left them alone) and came back with a couple of spider crabs. Messy to pick but worth it for the sweet taste.
Thanks guys.

Good one....it's a place to explore. Even with that walk it keeps me coming back. You were not the only one to draw a bass blank...there were at least 4 others in a boat yesterday:head

Tried my local beach tonight on a rising tide.Vis was not as good as i had expected but got better as the tide came in.Stalked lots of funny string weed which seemed to have dust on it which coloured the water when you brushed past it.After a very,very,very slow start on the fish front I started to see shoals of smelt and sandeels.An aspetto in about 4 meters on the edge of a sand patch had an explosion of fish come at me from all directions.Wrasse,pollock,mullet and three school bass all came into view and right up to my mask in some cases.I spent about 45 minutes diving this one spot but as fun and amazing as the fish were they didn't get any bigger.Stalked some mullet on the way back to the shore which brings me to what an absolute joy my Dessault speargun is to use.The balance is spot on and even tracking fish in a fast current was easy.My new weight belt arrangement felt good as well and no back pain afterwards which is a plus.Apart from no fish i did rip my wetsuit long johns which would normally piss me off but i have a new suit on order so not that bothered.

flyflicker said:
I had a little more success glowworm, swam down to look at a huge wrasse that went under a rock and found this :)

A few more of those and you'll have anough for a prawn cocktail! rofl

podge said:
Morning gent’s out with the family this weekend (brownie point earning).
They what to go to Seaton easy parking and nice for the kids does anyone know if there’s anything to see there or is it just a baron waste land?

Sorry it's late; Seaton hole is good for bass which is swimable from seaton beach

Spaniard said:
Sorry it's late; Seaton hole is good for bass which is swimable from seaton beach

No problem mate I couldn’t get in that time but I now know for next time.:)

flyflicker said:
I had a little more success glowworm, swam down to look at a huge wrasse that went under a rock and found this :)

I do appreciate the shellfish catches! Well done flyflicker!:friday

glowworm said:
Tried my local beach tonight on a rising tide.Vis was not as good as i had expected but got better as the tide came in..My new weight belt arrangement felt good as well and no back pain afterwards which is a plus.Apart from no fish i did rip my wetsuit long johns which would normally piss me off but i have a new suit on order so not that bothered.

What is your new weight belt arrangement ?
I am using a weight vest and belt at the moment, which seems to help my back as it spreads the load and you can remove it quickly as there are no straps to undo in an emergency.

I will be in Portland/Weymouth from 3-5 July for some (very shallow) freediving. If anyone else is going we can meet up! It would be nice to see some of the people on this thread.

Lucia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT