• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mudeford is where I have done most diving, the harbour can be good, On the sea-side the ledge runs out from the large groyne area to the Isle of Wight, on the 'shallow' side of the ledge ( xch side ) it is 6 metres about 1 mile out, on the far side of the ledge it dips to 20 metres,

The shallow side of the ledge is full of life as it cannot be easily trawled and very large ledge plaice are there, 6 lbs and under, lobsters and crabs live in the rocky ,weedy ledge rocks. The plaice graze on mussel beds.
Early in the season I have had very large sole which seem to sun themselves on the areas of sand with just their eyes showing ( on a hand spear)

Tides are strong and viz is often 1 metre or less although flat times it can be brilliant.a little tide is good, the deep side of the ledge is not very prolific but wrecks are here, undiscovered as yet.

Anyone wanting a buddy let me know, I love this area,

Sue

Reactions: Mr. X
Went out around Portland.. Got 3 flounder with one being a good size. Not much else going on but a nice easy dive in good company.

Who needs fast food when fresh raw scallops are around! :)

Hi midwater

I live in christchurch....well half in christchurch half floating around in the water.

Hav dived the ledge but dnt like to do it without boat suport.

Had a good dive in the run. Got a couple of good founder. saw two nive bass but no shots. plenty of mulet but didn't take my fancy today.

I have a boat but got no budy. If ur interested id love a spear buddy

James

Almostafish said:
Went out around Portland.. Got 3 flounder with one being a good size. Not much else going on but a nice easy dive in good company.

Who needs fast food when fresh raw scallops are around! :)

AAAAHHHHHH Scallops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I take it that they were the poisonous invisible ones that don’t exist around Portland.
Still a bit dazed from the hypnotic bit on your web site.
There are no scallops NO Scallops No Scallops.rofl
Good work sir

Jimy, how do you dive in the run? it is full of boats and the ferry goes up and down ! do they shout at you ? they used to shout at me.

Which part do you go in? will go out this week if you like.I usually only use a hand spear on snorkel but do have a couple of guns
Sue

In the week there like no boats. the ferry has got used to me and knows my float.

bring a gun as there are plenty of bass and mullet around. how the hell do you got close to the flaties with a hand spear they hav been realy spooky.

I usaly go infront of the black house.

Give me a hell when ur keen

Jimy I do not know how to
'PM' ( COMPUTER NUMPTY) ! and don't really want to put phone no on public site, could meet you at the pub at allotted time, the weather is probably a bit windy at this time but not sure will take a look later today at Mudeford Quay, it depends on wind direction for clarity of water,
Sue

Many thanks foxfish, I have 'PM'd Jimy, hope to get some dives in if not too murky.xch area is rather like that!
Maybe somewhere else would be clearer.Like ringstead or Durdle Door.

Hi midwater

I droped you and email with my contact info.

Im free all weak

so if anyone else is around christchurch give a yelp

jimy286 said:
would love to but have no car at the mo

ofer wise id live in the car park at weighmouth

Ive got a car, but everytime I try to drive to Guernsey it leaks like &*^%

Sorry, could'nt resist.........

Hello everyone nice to be back again after another bout of IT problems.Seems like an age since my last dive...Well will get in when the weather calms down.Still have that night dive i promised myself to do this year...

Welcome back John. Yeh! you definitely got to night dive. Soooo much fun. Oh! and you catch fish :) . Partly inspired by you I have put an underwater digi camera on the Christmas list. Fingers crossed.

Scottie, we've been getting in down here lately although the weather has been pants for ages. I know we have the advantage of being an Island and hence always having a lee coast but even so I have been pleasantly surprised by the vis. The thing is the season is getting on now and although the water is still warm the plankton has died out. It's only the swell kicking up silt that craps up the vis. If the sea is calm then the silt being a lot heavier than plankton would be it settles out quickly and hence better vis than you would get in summer time.

Nows the time of year for flatty diving and night diving for sole and red mullet. Bonus is for this less vis is okay compared to chasing freeswimmers like bass.

Dave

PS Saturdays effort [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=615649&postcount=1454"]DeeperBlue Forums - View Single Post - Guernsey 2006[/ame]

Last edited:
Can't wait to night dive OMD...Anybody in dorset fancy it?????

Digital camera is a must as i have just looked at my gallery on this site again after a long break and re-lived alot of very good memories..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT