• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearing 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Could always go for a cold wet holiday in Norway 20 -30lb Cod Everywhere roflrofl

Sounds like my kind of holiday!

However . . .

I've been to Norway five times and I can confirm that it is indeed outrageously expensive - especially the booze (plus, the women are so universally beautifull that they make you feel as though you have a face deformity - the only cure for which, ironically, as we all know, is booze!)

Had a look at the water from Poole down to Kimmeridge today, and took my spearfishing gear with me. I should of taken my surfing gear, because the groundswell was producing a lovely wave at Kimmeridge, about head height, peeling in like a dream.

The viz was lousy by the way - less than a meter, I'd say, from the shore.

Bit better in Poole Harbour (up to a meter), and a bloke pulled out a 3lb bass whilst I was standing talking to him (I'd almost forgotten what they looked like). He said he'd pulled a few out recently, up to five pounds.

That groundswell must be reducing though, because a bloke that was surfing it said that it was 'double over head height' yesterday (whatever that means!).

had a look at the water from poole down to kimmeridge today, and took my spearfishing gear with me. I should of taken my surfing gear, because the groundswell was producing a lovely wave at kimmeridge, about head height, peeling in like a dream.

The viz was lousy by the way - less than a meter, i'd say, from the shore.

Bit better in poole harbour (up to a meter), and a bloke pulled out a 3lb bass whilst i was standing talking to him (i'd almost forgotten what they looked like). He said he'd pulled a few out recently, up to five pounds.

That groundswell must be reducing though, because a bloke that was surfing it said that it was 'double over head height' yesterday (whatever that means!).

Hi Gaz bad news bud thanks for info
my plans go to drain.

If anyone is heading this way this weekend, don't bother - the vis is about 15 inches!!! Looks very inviting though!
DSCN4021.JPG

Reactions: Old Man Dave
Thanks John lets hope next weekend will be diveable.
Water looks nice though!

Take care.

That usually means head height with a fair bit of exaggeration thrown in :)

Well me and The Pikey (Glowworm) gave it a go on Sunday and-
Got to the boat at 9.00am armed with a new pump to sort out the winter low air pressure in the tubes and I couldn’t believe how well it went, first applicator I tried went straight in and within 3 mins I had the tubes as tight as a drum skin.
All is looking well I thought to myself as I found a second half tank of fuel to go with the other half a tank that I knew I had. Got the boat right up together and even managed to launch it with no great effort, it was at this point that the wheel fell off!
After towing the trailer back up the ramp and sticking it in its parking place I went to join John back on the boat to be met with, That seems like a lot of water, where did it all come from? SHIT forgot to put the sump plug in, so it was back over the side for a quick fumble around with the plug. Right and we’re off, or we would have been if the motor would start. Flat Battery, I guess that’s what 6 weeks of nil use and the affects of the winter has on a battery.
So it was back up the beach, fetch the trailer, stick the boat back on it and the long tow (using ropes) back to the boat yard, full wash down, boat, engine and all, and all for nothing, still you’ve got to laugh haven’t you?
Not to be deterred we thought we’d have a shore dive instead, after all the wetsuit was on so it would be just a matter of falling in the water somewhere and presto a cool bag full of flatfish and scallops would be mine!
Drove around the coast a bit to a quite spot and after a quick chat we both thought that it looked good enough to give it a go.
Oh it looked good enough all right as long as you stayed within water that was no deeper than your knees!! Ended up going for a swim just because it seemed the thing to do at the time. Got to admit though it did feel good just to be there and in the water again.:):)
Top Job with the coffee and hot chocolate John and see you next weekend.:friday

"Nil Desperandum, Rodney."

Well at least you tried which is more than I have done. Actually sounds kind of fun in a strange sort of way.

Rep for effort.

Dave.

"Nil Desperandum, Rodney."

Well at least you tried which is more than I have done. Actually sounds kind of fun in a strange sort of way.

Rep for effort.

Dave.

Cheers Dave, and yes it was a bit of a giggle. Well you either laugh or cry so laugh it was.rofl

Hi all,

Haven't been on here for a while so thought i'd drop a message.
Has anyone ordered an mtm suit through spearo.co.uk before? if so was wondering how long it took to get delivered.

Cheers

Reactions: Almostafish
Hi all,

Haven't been on here for a while so thought i'd drop a message.
Has anyone ordered an mtm suit through spearo.co.uk before? if so was wondering how long it took to get delivered.

Cheers

Just got my latest mtm back 3 weeks after ordering. But it depends on the time of year - should be OK now but lead time will be worse running up to season - best to call Dave on his mobile and ask him direct mate.

Well, I found some viz in Dorset today. It took so long to find though that it was getting dark by the time I finally came across it, so I decided to wait until it was fully dark and do a quick night dive. Had about 3 meters in the torch light, so it may have been even better in the daylight - gonna brave the snowstorms and go in for a look tomorrow daytime (even though it will be in the middle of a low tide).

Was only in for an hour as I've never dived the spot before, and didn't really know where I was going. Couple of small flatties and pollack seen, and still quite a few bait fish about.

Shows how long I've been out of the water though: checked all my gear at the car, and then made my way down to the shore with the nagging thought that I didn't quite have everything I needed. It was only when I was actually getting in the water that I realised I didn't have my speargun!

Well, I found some viz in Dorset today. It took so long to find though that it was getting dark by the time I finally came across it, so I decided to wait until it was fully dark and do a quick night dive. Had about 3 meters in the torch light, so it may have been even better in the daylight - gonna brave the snowstorms and go in for a look tomorrow daytime (even though it will be in the middle of a low tide).

Was only in for an hour as I've never dived the spot before, and didn't really know where I was going. Couple of small flatties and pollack seen, and still quite a few bait fish about.

Shows how long I've been out of the water though: checked all my gear at the car, and then made my way down to the shore with the nagging thought that I didn't quite have everything I needed. It was only when I was actually getting in the water that I realised I didn't have my speargun!

Gaz,

Fair play mate - rep sent, I have been lookin where and when I can but so far no joy! Hope you have some more luck tomorrow.

Not gonna have a chance now until Xmas eve so if you do find anywhere fishy and don't mind sharing...

Cheers

Ryan

Hopefuly receive my new suit today so thinking about getting in the water before xmas to test it out, and hopefully find a fish or two.

roflroflroflrofl you must have been eager to get in to forget that Gaz :)

It was fear of getting cold that did it.

Even though the water temp hasn't completely dropped out yet, I decided to go for the 7mm suit for the first time this season, and was so preoccupied with balancing the weights (and taking enough spares with me) that I left the gun in the car!

I've normally got a routine I go through before I set off for the water, but because the weather has kept me out of the water for so long I've half forgotten it, so fiddling with the cold weather gear sort of threw me off a bit.

And I was still too light in the end!

Reactions: Spear0Joe
Could always go for the ninja approach with the dive knife? I've had some big bass with that, rambo style.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT