• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Durban diving 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hello all, been a while!

watching u guys discuss spearing while i'm stuck up in Pta has had me close to chewing my wrists open! hence the disappearing act... for my mental health!

Anyway back in town for one of my annual lemming runs and this time there's actually clean water!!! Now all i need is a dive buddy, so please if anyone's available, give me a call i'll pm my cell no to you.

I'm staying on the Bluff and will be in Port Edward on the weekend.

any water time will be greatly appreciated, got in off Brighton on my own on Mon and although it was great to be in, i'm never comfortable diving alone!

Anyway, look forward to hearing from u,

Roy

We're planning on diving this weekend off my boat, you're welcome to join in. Will contact you on your cell...

We've also got plans to jump in with the sards - there isn't as much surface activity but the expert (he's been studying the run for the last 5 years) tells me there are hundreds below the surface. And there are plenty of predators following...

Garrick are about along with a couple other species, so we're in for giving it a bash as often as possible till the sards are gone again.

We'll be meeting at the UKZN Underwater Club tomorrow night to plan for the weekend if you'd like to join us. Mupwi is also from the Bluff (I think?) so perhaps the 2 of you should meet up and dive together? Either way you should both join us tomorrow night.

C

I used to be on the bluff now in Umbilo but bluff is still my closest shore entry how long you down for I am looking at taking Friday and Monday off to make this weekend a long one as it is my birthday on Sunday and will probably try go for a dive on at least one of those days will give you a shout if I do

I used to be on the bluff now in Umbilo but bluff is still my closest shore entry how long you down for I am looking at taking Friday and Monday off to make this weekend a long one as it is my birthday on Sunday and will probably try go for a dive on at least one of those days will give you a shout if I do

Thanks Mupwi, here till next Fri, but down in Port edward this weekend.
Perhaps Fri morning?

Give me a call if u r keen.

We're planning on diving this weekend off my boat, you're welcome to join in. Will contact you on your cell...

C

Thanks, will be keen. As I said to Mupwi, down in Port Edward this weekend, but will even drive back through for a boat dive!

Will definately try to be there tonight

Missed you Thurs night but was great you joined us on Sat. Very impressed you drove all the way from Port Edward... Pity about the lack of stuff to shoot though :( At least we all got a bit of fitness training in with the surf and current....

I went to the Virginia airshow yesterday and bought a garrick key ring just so I could feel what it's like to hold one :)

So I checked out the weather for a dive tomorrow and it's not looking good at all. Seems the cold front's going to hit Durbs just in time for the planned dive. It's looking pretty rough and unpleasant for the rest of the week. Bleak, since I've got diver training this weekend. Maybe a sparrow's fart dive on Sunday off the Bluff or Vetchies so we can be back in time on Sunday? Anyone keen?

Roy, will you be back home by then?

Hi C,

back in pta. Thanks to all for the dive last Sat, always good to get in the water, no matter what the "take home" is.

will knock on your door again when i do my next lemming run!

cheers

Roy

At the rate that my buddies are getting in the water these days, that might just be the next time i go diving also!

hi all I am going to be making an efort to get to the club tonight I have made 2 new fiberglass blades that I want to test in the pool anyone keen to play cameraman I will be bringing my underwater and am keen to get some footage of how they moove so I can get ideas on how to improve the layup It would also be interesting to get footage of other commercial blades to compare

OK sorry all for the slow update but it has been reel busy here at work lately so I tried the last one in the pool and it performed nicely even though I miss measured ad it ended up 10cm shorter and about 2cm narrower than my omers it still preformed equally with much less ankle strain I felt that it needed to be slightly stiffer though anyway so I have now completed a set the right width slightly stiffer ( still softer than the omers as was the plan ) and now about 20cm longer than the omers ( ye they look meen) I figre I can always trim them but making them longer meens starting again anyway they are in the pockets and waiting for a test run maby after work today. on a side note they are now too long to fit in my boot so they now ride on the back seat lol

Reactions: Gaz D
Have you guys noticed that Durbs and Cape Town appear to have swopped weather patterns lately! We've had so much rain this side over the last month and a bit it's scary!

Skipped while Andy and Mark dived a fad yesterday and except for a couple of hammerheads and some small stuff there was not much out there. Inshore on the Bluff there was a bit more activity which was great.

Just want some big game fish now!!

Reactions: Gaz D
Anyone still active on this thread? I am living overseas now and will be out in late Dec for a week....anyone up for a dive? Thanks for any tips...will prob stay on bluff with my oldies.... so garvies etc would seem like a good bet?

Active is a relative term, but I do check in once in a while!

Durban at the moment is mucky and all predictions are for the water to clear up some time around winter :) Further out is better than inshore so a boat dive would be the way to go. I'd be keen to get out and a mate of mine is literally quite desperate to go some time soon also.

What's your dates you're here and we can make some more concrete plans.

Hi Callie, Thanks for the reply. Winter I know about...clears the water nicely here...but since I live in Norway it is a bit too chilly for my liking. I will arrive in Dbn on 20th so I guess 21-25 would be bang-on. We head to Huhluwe (no fish there... :p) for a few days so would then would only be able to do the 30th. It would be great to get out. Do you guys have a boat? I'd gladly pay the fuel costs! :) ...Which areas do you normally dive? Appreciate your reply and hope we can get out!

Norway is a whole lot colder than Durban ever gets! I'm on leave over that time so any day you are free will be good for me! We have our own boat and normally go out off Durban but if conditions are right will definitely take a ride out to Umdloti if you are keen (great diving off there).

I'll PM you my contact details and phone number so you can call me when you arrive and have a free day. I'll organise that the boat is ready and able to go out any time around the dates you are here. I'll also ask some of the other guys in the club if they're keen to join us.

Which reminds me, I'm the chairman of the University Underwater Club, we meet on Thursday nights at the UKZN Howard College Campus. If you're free on a Thurs and are keen to come down you are more than welcome to join us.

See you soon :)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT