• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

"Eurican's"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Alison

Mar 6, 2004
Well thats what Adrian has named them!
I had hoped to post these yesterday as it was 6 months since the Tsunami but I only managed to loan a camera this morning. Well I hope they dont start a trans-atlantic war ;)
I guess you can see they are our new guns, all rail guns, the two longer ones are teak and the little one is Satinwood (explain later), the handles are rosewood and the black stuff is ebony. Now here the thing Im most chuffed with, all the wood is from Sri Lanka :D. So as you can see they all have mid handles but the rest of them is pure euro gun hence potential war rofl the reason for euro gun is its because US type parts are difficult to get here.
The trigger mechanisms are Pathos with stainless gubbins and a nylon 66 (?) case, anyway like esclapez and omer use, the top of these were curved which led to the sharks head inlay and besides if you take your own shark you'll allways be safe. The line release and the sharks eyes are silver taken from some forks we found on our last visit to Sri Lanka in the house we were in when the wave hit.
The little gun is a hole hunting gun, rightly or wrongly I wanted an especially dense wood for this one to absorb as much of the little recoil there is on a gun this size, as in the past Ive had my face hit by the butt because Ive gotten myself into some silly position to see into a hole :eek:
Oh yeah the sizes! the big one is 42" the same as the Wong northeaster, a really nice size with the mid handle, it suits most viz situations here, really handy when the viz does that 1m then 15m and then back to 1m again. The middle one is a 90cm gun which is my new low viz gun with only 60cm stuck out front :) and the little one is 70cm more of a pistol really, Ive only used the big and the little so far, the big one is so accurate Im amazed but is very different to aim to any other gun Ive used so Im still getting used to it :mad: and the little one is just the dogs b........cks at close quarters and quiet! it just makes a small ding noise when its fired. So all in all Im a happy bunny, I think we're going to get along just fine! And Colin likes them too so we will have to fight over them :vangry

Attachments

• DSCN2983.JPG
    DSCN2983.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 430
  • DSCN2986.JPG
    DSCN2986.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN2987.JPG
    DSCN2987.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 469
Reactions: Murat
Very pretty. I look forward to the photos of carnage they inflict. :)

I've only used single points with my spearguns and polespears although I have a three prong paralizer tip that I bought 5 years ago.How does that five prong work for you?What kind of fish do you use it on mostly?

Reactions: Alison
Points for Colin, there. Though m' days in pistol competition make me want a more acute angle on the grip, they're obviously beautifully made. And I think that it's about time for a bit more trans-Atlantic cooperation in any event. Best of both worlds, perhaps, what?

The 5 point is for use only at very close range in holes where the spear would normaly go straight through the fish and hit the rock behind, it is suprisingly accurate even at the full range of the gun but it isnt very fast through the water, if you shoot it at an angle in front of you, you can see the thing travel through the water so it only really has an effective range of about 1.5m max I guess on that gun but that was the general idea anyway :) Its only really for Bass or the occasional Pollack and flatfish in the open if its in my hand at the time ;)
Sarge,me too but they are our guns not just mine so they are a comprimise. You know its a subject that has raised many heated word but I'm still supprised why mid handle guns aren't more popular in the UK especially, so far everybody who has tried them has loved them.

Bill McIntyre said:
Very pretty. I look forward to the photos of carnage they inflict. :)
Managed to get hold of a camera again. just over 3Kg gutted and scaled (always do it in the water sorry), shot at more or less full range. Well its hardly carnage rofl but still a nice fish for low water on a dive when I wasnt really expecting to see anthing

Attachments

• Bass 001.jpg
    Bass 001.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 281
Nummm! Let me see, painted with garlic butter and broiled . . . rolled up in tortillas . . . with salsa! Low fat fish tacos. Whoo-boy!

Very nice Alison, Hurrah for the eurican, (and the Indian of course)! :)

This mornings catch :)
OK a bit closer to carnage ;) but not quite, apart from the Mullet which was shot at the surface all the Bass were shot between 7 & 10m deep and about 3m range. I lost another at full range, it charged around shaking its head until it broke off, shame it was a nice fish, I hate to see that happen, think I'll try a double wrap tomorrow.

Attachments

• Bass 004 small.jpg
    Bass 004 small.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 254
Alison said:
This mornings catch :)
OK a bit closer to carnage ;) but not quite, apart from the Mullet which was shot at the surface all the Bass were shot between 7 & 10m deep and about 3m range. I lost another at full range, it charged around shaking its head until it broke off, shame it was a nice fish, I hate to see that happen, think I'll try a double wrap tomorrow.

nice Alison... you barbequing those?

Nice fish. Can't tell from gun photo but are you using enough "boingee" between gun and line?? This defo helps "shock absorb" those shaky head moments...What gun is that BTW? :p

island_sands said:
nice Alison... you barbequing those?
Yup :) some diagonal cuts and some olive oil and lemon juice, Colins magic touch and they will be suitably blackened rofl

Spaniard said:
Nice fish. Can't tell from gun photo but are you using enough "boingee" between gun and line?? This defo helps "shock absorb" those shaky head moments...What gun is that BTW? :p
Yup there's a boingie on it, its in shadow but if you look around the spiral white line. The gun is homemade, described at the top of the thread :)

Ahhh yes. The only other way is to transfix them with a trident head or similar as this, other than stoning them outright, stops them in their tracks. Very nice looking guns! oooo err missus

Its good to see they works :)

May be you should teach those guys in the UK how to shoot the basses "properly" rofl rofl :girlie

Cheers Murat rofl someones got to show those south coast boys how its done and keep the Ed and Dave show on its toes ;)
Well here's todays efforts :D 4 Bass and a mullet
The one that got away yesterday Im sure is the big one, it had a wound on its head before I shot it, the spear must have just caught it, anyway I shot it through the same hole rofl from above this time, it took me about ten minutes to get the spear out of its head :( I ended up diving to the bottom (12m) putting the back of the spear against a rock and pushing the fish down on it untill it came through EEK! Well it weighed in at a fraction under 10lbs my biggest this year :friday

Attachments

• Bass 006small.jpg
    Bass 006small.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Bass 008 small.jpg
    Bass 008 small.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 186
AWESOME FISHING ALISON YEEEHAAAA!!!!

Glad to see you are back on form.

Only just seen your PM as have been busy playing poker.

Very nice guns too ;) Keep those piccies coming!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT