• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

"Eurican's"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Is that a "mullet" on the far left? The reason I ask is because in Florida, that would be a shallow water type of fish commonly caught with a cast net. It would be pretty difficult to shoot I imagine.

Sorry I guess you alrealdy mentioned it was a mullet. Didnt know they were common all over the place. I catch them by the dozens in my net, but never have shot one yet

Hi Gator
Im no expert with Mullet, I dont look for them specifically but they are a sod to shoot sometimes, I either see them circling quite fast on the edge of the visibility when Im on the way out to the dive site then theres no chance really but on the way back in on a rising tide on a warm day they can be seen lying in shallow water over the weeds in the sunshine; If Im really quiet I can get quite close to them or they slowly move off, if they do move away from them but sort of parrallel then they might come really close even rub up against you. Im sure others have better techniques but that one seems to be working for me so far :)

Well not such a good morning today but mustn't grumble ;) two Bass and a Plaice (terrible shot :eek: but in my defense it was moving at a fair rate at the time)
Interesting dive, I saw a Tope about 2m long, very pretty thing to watch :) When I shot the bigger of the two Bass (2.5Kg) I was doing an aspetto halfway down a small underwater cliff at about 4m when the victim came by, twang and it circled off with the spear in it, as I swam forward to grab it, I saw another Bass looking at me but this thing was huge, Ive never seen one as big as that and my spear was in my hand!! OH NO!!! :waterwork I swear it must have been about 10 Kg's! Well the tides are wrong for me to fish that site again for another two weeks but Im going back for that one :D

Attachments

• Bass 011 small.jpg
    Bass 011 small.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 191
Alison said:
Well not such a good morning today but mustn't grumble ;) two Bass and a Plaice (terrible shot :eek: but in my defense it was moving at a fair rate at the time)
Interesting dive, I saw a Tope about 2m long, very pretty thing to watch :) When I shot the bigger of the two Bass (2.5Kg) I was doing an aspetto halfway down a small underwater cliff at about 4m when the victim came by, twang and it circled off with the spear in it, as I swam forward to grab it, I saw another Bass looking at me but this thing was huge, Ive never seen one as big as that and my spear was in my hand!! OH NO!!! :waterwork I swear it must have been about 10 Kg's! Well the tides are wrong for me to fish that site again for another two weeks but Im going back for that one :D

Alison!!! go girl...

mmm plaice.. delish!

Reactions: Alison
Alison said:
but this thing was huge, Ive never seen one as big as that and my spear was in my hand!! OH NO!!! :waterwork

rofl rofl rofl

NIce fishing ALI!!!

10k bass is what its all about ;)

Beatiful Fish, Beautiful Guns Alison :inlove

I'm just a newbie spearo but I want one of those!
The spear release looks difficult to me, but please correct me if i'm wrong.
Any idea of where i can get some plans for such Weapons of Bass Destruction?

all the best
Pat

Reactions: Dick Splash
SHEEEZ ALISON!! With all those bass lying on the ground you could add the loud sound effects of a ten-pin bowling alley and shout STRIKE!
The Bass champion(ess)?

Regards:p

Thanks guys :)
Shane I tell you I was hanging there with this fish in my hand looking at this thing and it was looking at me with that puzzled look they have not 2m away! What could I do? rofl it was an awsome site, then it just turned and slowly swam away without a care in the world :) Next time :D
Pat Do you mean the line release? Its simple to use apart from having to reset it by hand everytime I reload but its just part of the routine now. There are no plans just ideas out of our heads and a bit of trial and error untill we get it right, still working on it ;)
Im thinking of putting a second band on the big gun for that bit of extra hitting power, Ive been having problems with head shots on bigger fish, there just isnt enough power to get the spear through and it has come out a couple of times now (apart from the pic above which doesnt count).

shoot the gill plate if the fish is huge

The flopper will get through and it is a really tough place. No chance of it ripping.

The fish will stay very alive so hang on ;)

Have you seen the propeller line release on memo and my wooden guns?

Another obvious, but often overlooked, factor is to keep your speartips razor sharp. I find tri-cut tips are easier to maintain and the edges, if kept sharp enough, ease penetration......I can already see the replies to this one rofl

Yeah Like on the daprian jedi guns? Do you like them? We didnt try because we thought the set up we had might be better but that one on memo's gun looks really easy to use, I'd be interested to know, do they push the shaft sideways or does the rail hold the spear enough to stop it?
My spears have floppers that stand proud of the shaft, I think that is half the problem, Ive got an old one Im going to try that has the flopper within a recess so there are no steps to get hung up. I'll try the gill plate next time :) Cheers
Spaniard, the spears are sharpened or at least checked every dive so they're OK :)

Last edited:
Sr Shane,

If you're still lurking (and not shooting dentex) what does "aste con perne" mean in relation to spear shafts? Gracias.

It means pinned shafts as opposed to ones with notches

En español es varillas con tetones.

Great for using dyneema wishbones on open muzzled guns

Alison,

The line release works like a dream. Does not push the shaft sideways unless you really really tighten the line which is not adviseable.

The flopper should be as low profile on the shaft as possible. Careful of shooting rocks with the recessed shaft as they bend at the recess.

Also, with a sanding block, sand down the whole spear point and flopper. Pass teh block over the closed flopper and the flopper pin so when you pass your fingers over from point over the flopper, the skin does not catch anywhere. This is imperative and can increase penetration tremendously.

OK I see the point on the line release, ours gives a lot of leverage so the spear does get pushed even with low line tightness hence the stainless pin to stop it moving but the propeller type has even length both sides of the pivot point ;) cool thats the way we will go on the next batch :)
Now these shafts, with the recessed one I have, its pretty smooth on the sides but the top of the flopper sits about 1.5mm above the shaft, we've had a look at it and decided that we can knock it down a bit at the front to close the gap without affecting its operation, are we on the right lines? Also on the bottom of the flopper the two sides stick out doen beyond the bottom of the shaft, should we file these bits away too?

ITS ALL ABOUT GETTING THE PENETRATION JUST RIGHT rofl rofl rofl

Really, any bits sticking out from the shaft will affect the flight of the shaft (accuracy) and will also affect shaft speed after the first few meters.

You are shooting bass and not grouper so look for getting the spear all the way throught the fish. Grouper hunters who shoot close range tend to have a really protruding point on there floppers to make sure the shaft stays in even if it has not penetrated all the way through the fish.

also make sure the flopper is lose from closed to 45 degrees and then holds open from 45 degress onwards.

To test this works properly, i hold the shaft at mid-point, pointing upwards with the tail on floor. With other hand whack the shaft about 10cm underneath the flopper. The flopper should fly open and hold at the top.

Nice one mate, we're on it :D
Just out of interest, what make shafts are you using? I must admit Im pretty pee'd off with the ones Ive been getting of late, Coralign (?)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT