• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fin Lineup - Any Questions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I bit the bullet, and bought a set of Hybrid Pro Hards From Specialfins, Their customer service in a word, Fantastic.
I mailed Jyri and got an answer to my questions almost immediately.
I transferred the payment via Eurobank transfer cost only 0.75c so that is the way to go in EU.
I tried them twice the first impression was that I was moving faster for less effort compared to the Black Teams that I have used up to now.
Full report to follow.

Huan

Originally posted by icarus pacific
They're the same blades as the Matrix, I believe. Hana Pa'a has had them for a couple years.

These are not the "old" Matrix/Waterway blades. This is a totally new design. The blade appears to be one piece fiberglass instead of layered pieces glassed together. Note the heel part of the blade now has a bend in it changing the angle of the blade. Also note the end of the fin, it differs from the scalloped shape of the "old" blade. I saw this today at a spearfishing expo here in Hawaii. The one I saw was a 3.5 stiffness, super cool blade and appears to be better made. I'm interested to see how the new angle of the blade changes how the fins perform. Anyone know when they will be available in USA? Hanapa'a Hawaii did not know when they will be available.

After last weekend I came to realize a few things about fins.

First, the footpockets DO make a difference. Even though the new omer pockets are softer than the old ones, they are still much stiffer than the Sporasub and Spetton footpockets. So much so, that they can even effect how a fin feels and works. One pair of blades, the Special Fin's Kelpies, came in a medium, but kicked much harder than Ted's Stereo Pro's- which are hards. I thought that there must be some kind of miss-labeling, but it was just a difference in the foot pocekts. Once I switched the Kelpies into an extra pair of Sporasub pockets they softend right up.

I have about half my fins with OMER pockets and the other half with Sporasub's. It really comes down to the individual which pocket you like best- just like comparing Nike's to Addidas. I will say that it doubles your choices in fins stiffness. Now you have the choice of 4-5 different stiffnesses in a single brand of fin, plus the ability to change the stiffness of each blade by the addition of a specific foot pocket.

The second thing that I learned is that I like softer fins- it must be because I am getting old.;) When I first got my C4-40's I thought they were the best thing going. Of course, 20+ years of using stiff scuba fins might have had some influence on that.:D I now find that my C4- 30's are much more comfortable and have done my deeper dives with my softer fins. I know that there is another thread on here about divers getting softer (fins;) ) and I would have to include myself in that group.

The last thing that I realized is that I pretty much suck at monofinning.:( I even have a nice Specialfins mono that is so comfortable that I can wear it for hours on end, but I still can dive deeper and feel much more comfortable with the bi-fins. Maybe one day I'll be able to do one of those monofin clinics with the Solomons, but for now I guess I'm just a bi kinda guy- go ahead Sven that was an easy one pitched right up the middle.;)

Here are a FEW of the fins that we had out there this weekend. There are still more than another dozen that aren't pictured.

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: Pablo
About the footpocket stiffness

Surely this affects overall blade performance for two reasons - the rail stiffness AND the foot section stiffness. I'd think theorise that the ideal footpocket would have a stiff foot section with soft rails.

No footpocket will affect the stiffness of a blade beyond the rails attachment point, so by changes footpockets, you only affect the first half of the blade. Therefore, if the blade is designed without a specific footpocket in mind, you will never get a perfect flex of the fin.....

Perhaps the specialfins guys could tell us how they deal with this?

The "new" fins.

To Memo.

Just FYI. Concerning the fins you are asking above. The blades are made of fiberglass and have the different thickness. This blades made in Ukraine by Andrey Lagutin and been sold to XXOne. There are several models which differ by the lengths, widths and the angle of the blade (15 - 21). Check this link http://fishhunter.org.ua/g04/lasteklo.htm (unfortunately this site is only Russian language). I know for sure that more than 70% Ukrainian fishhunters / freedivers are using these blades and a few blades were sending to Imersion (France) for testing. IMHO this is the very good blades. The overall performance is comparable to the carbon but the durability and the price are unbeatable.

I know that it is absurdity to make any suggestions looking only at the pictures (see link above), but I would like to us everyone what do you think about these pictures.

All the best.

Amet thank you for your interest in the topic, I'll definetly aske the vendor about these

Your right about the rails Ben.

I would even go so far as to divide the footpocket into three parts:

1- the rail
2- the mid section
3- the heel cup

I know some fins are very soft in the heel cup, like Esclapez, and tend to fold over in my arch- this doesn't happen with my Picasso's.

Other fins are much stiffer across the mid section, like Omer's vs. Sporasubs.

The rails make a huge difference on how well the blade flexes, as I said earlier when I switched foot pockets back and forth between the same sets of blades and got different results.

In the end it still comes down to personal preference. I know that Fred, and his brother, both liked the Cressi fins, while Ted and I found them to be quite uncomfortable with socks on. Fred does have a wicked high arch, at least compared to my foot, and am sure he would prefer a different pocket, or running shoe, than I would as a result.

Jon

As anyone an idea what this black waterways blades with red letters are???

I first saw that when Matrix joined with Waterway... maybe its a matrix waterway thingy...? Smack me if im wrong! :D

They are the new fins that waterway does along with the Nemo footpocket.They will have them at the worlds in Toronto if you are close.

Sorry to all the canuck freedivers Vancouver not Toronto!!
my mistake .

Originally posted by mjacobs
I'm not going to Florida to dive in any pool, Connor. We will need to either hook up with locals or charter a boat. I like the Waterways over the Hybrid Pro Extra Hards, but that's not a fair comparison as the relative stiffness is not near the same and the Extra Hards ar more stiff than I need. Haven't had the the Hards in the water yet.

I didn't know which Hybrids to get extra hard or hard. Jyri sent me both to try. I found that the extra hards were too stiff for my liking. They didn't have that snap to them like the hards. I was really impressed with the hards. They are the best fins Ive used so far.

Jyri was very helpful with everything. He answered all my questions immediately. He must live on the computer! ;)

Omer Bat 30's vs. Sporasub Grafibers? and how do they compare to Sporasub H.Dessaults?

aslo,
Omer Bat 30's vs. Matrix fins??

Last edited:
I'm currently using a pair of Esclapez champion du monde, the only free diving fins I've ever used, how do they compare to the other brands??

Does enyone know how C4 VTR stiffnes compares C4 Falcon! Does it more or less stiff at same mark (30', 40')?

All responses credited to a 5'8", 150lb, 30-year-old man-diver.

mishu1984 said:
Omer Bat 30's vs. Sporasub Grafibers? and how do they compare to Sporasub H.Dessaults?

Can't speak for 30's, but 40's are waaay stiffer than Dessaults. If you are a beefy fella, you might do well with BATs. But for small-medium divers, I would recommend Dessaults. I say again, there is NO better fin for the money.

JimmyB said:
Can anybody tell me about the Omer Millenium fins...?? what are they like??

Too stiff for my liking (green or black - if it makes a difference). Again, they might do better for a tank-of-a-man. I took em to 25m last year, and did not enjoy the trip back to the surface.

fly said:
I'm currently using a pair of Esclapez champion du monde, the only free diving fins I've ever used, how do they compare to the other brands??

Jon has a pair (if they are the standard plastic fin - maybe he will chime in). As I recall, they have a softer footpocket than sporas or omers. But not as soft as Garas. He hasn't used his for a few years, since he got his C4 40's.....and C4 30's.....and C4 80's......and....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT