• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fin Lineup - Any Questions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
If the fins come in diferent stiffness and maybe dif color options I think it will be a healthy contender for the Omer Bat fins

Especially because of the toe angle :p

Wabostyle, thank you for your clear review and for the cool pictures ;)

I am thinking of a fin in which I can use over 20m. (~70ft I guess) the composite and durable structure of the grafibers attracted me at the begining along with the well known foot pocket confort of sporasub fins...

I think I dont go with them if they are only in very soft setting. Thank you again for your review ;)

No Problem Memo...If you were looking for a set of fins you could use for 8hrs (all day), constantly surface swimming and diving to depths of 30 - 40 ft, The Grafibers would be perfect. But at the depths you are looking hit and deeper, I would not reccomend these blades. Maybe it is just me being used to stiffer fins, but I did not get that immediate upward thrust coming off the bottom that I prefer. Of course what works for me may not work for others (or vice versa), so this is just my observations of the Grafibers compared to what I have been using.

If you haven't already, look into the Specialfin kelpie's (If you can get them) or the Matrix fins. I have both and can say that either of these blades will suit your needs just fine....

I can say the matrix #4 take of at 50ft with disconcerting ease.

I'm confident they will perform good at 60-70ft: is the plan for this coming weekend!

NEW FIN!!!!

Has anyone else noted that C4 now have a 'Falcon 15'?

Anyone seen/tried a pair?

Just how soft are they?

Are they a dynamic apnea fin, or a surface swimming fin?

Broken Again!!!!!

I was just in the pool with my Sporasub Pure's and realized that they had cracked again!:vangry

I don't use them that much so I know that it wasn't from overuse, but they cracked by the foot pocket for the second time since I've owned them! The first time Diveinn replaced the blade for free, but this is getting ridiculous!:head

I don't touch the pool sides when I turn with them and I baby them otherwise. They are no where near the fin that my C4's are.

Anybody know a good way to patch carbon-fiber???:confused:

Jon

Wow, the new fins have splash! In my annual winter funk I got some fins to "try or buy" from Jyri last week but have not seen the newest fun fins. I have in mind some sort of finfest on the east coast. Dutch Springs in PA and Lake Rawlings in VA come to mind. I'll be in Florida in a couple of weeks and again in June. The April trip will be pretty busy, but for those who want to try to hook up in June maybe something could be set up around Ft. Lauderdale or the Keys or both. I'll be in NC this August, and hopefully before. I can bring some OMER Carbon Pros and green Tuna fins, Waterway #3, Esclapez Blacks and a pair of Picasso Black Teams. I hope to have some C4s and BATs to compare, too. Anybody interested? Having kids has swelled my fin collection.

Usual disclaimers.

Mark

When in June? I might be able to come to Ft Lauderdale, would bring a set of hybrids and cressi hfs. I would love to try your waterways.

Connor

I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale and day trip reachable dive areas June 9 through the 12th. I plan to be in the Keys by the 13th through the 17th. For Specialfins, I have hard and extra hard Hybrid Pros, Kelpie hard and bluewater hard. Will bring the Waterway #3.
Mark

Last edited:
I have a Bahamas trip that may conflict if we get delayed by weather, but otherwise, Saturday the 12th would work for me. Are you thinking pool or open water?

How the waterways compare with the hybrid hards for you?

Connor

I'm not going to Florida to dive in any pool, Connor. We will need to either hook up with locals or charter a boat. I like the Waterways over the Hybrid Pro Extra Hards, but that's not a fair comparison as the relative stiffness is not near the same and the Extra Hards ar more stiff than I need. Haven't had the the Hards in the water yet.

and what is the difference between fun and classics? Does "fun" has camo satin?

Hi,

Classics are flat fibreglass blades (all fibreglass blades are flat).
Absolutly durable blades, but without angle, which makes leg power transfer more effective and comfortable than flat blades.

FunPaths are handlaminated and "cooked" in vacuum mould and have an angle. The pattern is NOT printed on the surface, but the paint is dropped into wax mixture during lamination, so it will not chip away.

Jyri
jyri@specialfins.com

Specialfins hybrid review

After a long long decision process, I got my hybrids (hard) several months ago but only got to use them in diving water June 1. Having an analytical bent, I thought I could get a good comparison of the hybrids and my old Cressi 2000 hfs. Turns out comparing fins is extremely difficult. Leg strength, kick style, foot pocket fit and the conditions you test in make a huge difference. In the pool, I tested kick cycles and times underwater and on top, 25, 50 and 500 yards. I found the hybrids to need one less kick cycle over 25 yards and to be about 8 percent faster over all distances. On the 500 yard sets the hybrids were noticably more efficient, but I couldn't figure out how to quantify it. My legs were dead with the cressis and tired but good for more with the hybrids. One other area that is important to free shaft spearos, the initial acceleration of the hybrids was much better.

At that point, having heard such great things, I was a bit disappointed with my new and pricy fins. After conversing with Jyri and some other DBers, I decided that getting used to the hybrids and doing some ocean diving would improve my results. This turned out to be true. Apparently, my legs were reallly adjusted for the cressi's. After using the hybrids for a few months in the pool, I noticed my times getting faster. When I got a chance to actually go diving, the hybrids were fine, and seemed to tire my legs less even though they are a stiffer fin. In my style of diving, this is hard to measure. I suspect that the difference is considerable. Today I got back in the pool for some testing and found the speed difference had increased to 10-12 percent. Interesting that the cressi performance increased slightly as well. The hybrid's characteristic snap makes for a very different kick style. I don't think I have mastered it yet and expect a continued improvement with time.

I am much happier now. 10+ percent increase in speed for the same effort, noticable reduction in the amount of effort needed to maintain speed, less strain on my legs over a day's diving, much faster acceleration and much better on the surface performance are worth paying for. The last item is something I did not care much about, the cressi's seemed fine, but it sure grew on me. The blades stay in the water better, they're quieter and not having to turn a little sideways to go fast is really really nice. If you want to whale on them, turning a little is still necessary to keep the blade completely in the water.

Unirdna supplied me with a set of kelpie mediums and, for a while, I thought I had found my fin. They just felt better on my feet in the ocean, can't quantify it. However, in the pool the hybrids were definately superior, with the kelpie's performance coming in half way in between the cressi's and the hybrids. In particular, the greater efficiency of the hybrids was very noticable. One of these days I would like to try a set of hybrid mediums.

A few other points:

lots of DBers helped me with blade and foot pocket choice. Thanks to all, very much.

Unirdna tested my hybrids against his kelpie hards and found some interesting things. I'll let him describe, but if he claims to have beat me in a race, I have a different opinion.

I chose the sporasub because I wanted to wear it barefoot. That and sizing worked out fine. They aren't quite as comfortable as the cressis but I think that is mostly because my callouses are in the wrong places. That will change.

After wearing the sporasub/hybrids for a while, the cressis feel really blah, much worse that their performance actually is. Fin comparisons are tricky.

Special thanks to Jyri and Specialfins for putting up with my indecision and providing outstanding customer service, don't think I have ever seen anything like it.

Connor

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT