• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish Spearing/Garbage Removal Contest 2007 (Entire Year) - Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pinggene

WisconsinFreshwaterSpearo
Aug 9, 2006
Calling all Spearos/Freedivers from Wisconsin!

As you spearfish this year, get a photo of your catch & post how many rough fish you shot by species & by total (would be nice if you kept a cumulative count for yourself with each post).

Also post any garbage you take out of the lakes (would be nice if you kept a cumulative count for yourself with each post).

A nice PRIZE (to be determined) will go to the spearo with the total most rough fish speared this season & there may also be prizes by fish species for the Biggest...by length (Rough Fish & Pan Fish).

All fish must be taken legally by you & while your body is completly in the water freediving (snorkeling on the surface is allowed :) , but you may not shoot from shore or use scuba :naughty ).

Good Luck to All!!!

Last edited:
Re: Fish Spearing Contest 2007 - Wisconsin

Hmmmm. Of course you should always eat any panfish you shoot. I would suggest (perhaps) we focus on size of each species of fish we shoot. I could shoot many many tiny bluegills, but wouldn't want to.
~Brian

I agree with Brian.

I would prefer to see a spearfishing contest that concentrated on rough fish, we would be less likely to piss off the hook and line crowd that way, and I would look to se it as a 1-day total and not a season total.

There are plenty of days when I see lots of small panfish, but I won't shoot them unless they are big enough to filet as I just can't be bothered with scaling a bunch of undersized fish and subjecting my kids to the bones in those things. I also check to see if it looks like I can get enough for a full meal- I've passed on more than a few shots when it looks like it would be the only fish I shot that day. As a result there are some days when we clean up and have fish for a few meals and there are other days where I never even fire my gun. If we encouraged newbies to shoot anyhting that passed by it could make us look bad in the larger, local, diving and fishing community.

Besides, if we went with that we might as well just give the trophy to Ted (unirdna) right now since his job has him out on the lake almost every day as it is.

Having us haul out a bunch of carp from the local lakes would come across in a better light- since they trash our local lakes as it is.

If we did want to have a 1-day contest for panfish I think we should go with the largest fish taken.

Just my $0.02

Jon

Good comments guys...thanks for the input.

I changed the season total to rough fish (we want to get as may of those out as we can) :martial , and the species one to largest.

I guess I would like to encourage photos being posted throughout the year, so only the big ones for pan fish...no little ones...:naughty .

Brian, Good to see you.

Gene

Re: Fish Spearing Contest 2007 (Entire Year) - Wisconsin

Has no one shot anything yet??? What is the matter? Oh yea...will get down to -20 F tonight...I guess that might be it. rofl

Come on Spring!

Good luck to all. Let's clean out some lakes of those rough fish this year!

Gene

May I suggest we include in the competition a just-for-fun catagory of "first fish"? First panfish (rules: must be big enough to fillet and eat) and first carp (rules: no rules! its a roughfish!).

First panfish and first roughfish gets "early bird award" :)
~Brian

must be big enough to fillet and eat
~Brian

Hehe, if you are determined enough you can fillet and eat even half an inch fish :p

Anyway, good ideas! Now, I just need to wait till ice melts....

Well Nick... I say as long as you eat it... you win! :)

CARP = 1

Shot at the "Outlet in Madison, March 10, 2007. Did not see any other fish other than 1 dead bluegill (no I didn't shoot it to add to my catch...:) )

Gene

Attachments

• PingCarp3_07.jpg
    PingCarp3_07.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 187

Congratulations Gene. Hey, that thermometer in the picture is a nice touch! :)

3carpemail.jpg

Ended up with 3 carp 1(8lbs), 1(8.5 lbs), 1(6 lbs)- shot at THE OUTLET in Madison, WI on 4/19/07 with a JBL NW 38 Special speargun. Vis was bad - but not bad enough ;) ---------------Scott

Reactions: BatRay

Great job Scott! Not bad for the 1st time out!

See ya tomorrow.

Gene

Congratulations Scott. Nice picture too. Who took the picture?

My buddy took the pic- He's new to diving and spearfishing also. He shot 2 carp- but he's not on this website- We're trying to get to as many events as we can- but we have different days off- so It'll be tricky-

-----------Scott

Last edited:

Ahhhh - Add 2 (5 total for 2007) more carp to my count: 1 weighed 7.1 lbs and the other was 7.4 lbs. I wish I had landed some of those Buffalo Carp! They were biggins.

--------Scott

Attachments

• carponstringer.jpg
    carponstringer.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 2carp.jpg
    2carp.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

5-16-07 The Outlet - shot 8 Carp weight total of 110 lbs 2oz. The Buffalo Carp was 18 lbs 14oz. The biggest common carp was 17lbs 15oz. Vis wasn't that good 10 feet but filled with particles - But good enough ;) This brings my year total to 13 carp and 147 lbs 2 oz. :martial

I got to try out my new JBL SAWED-OFF WOODY - It did a much better job on that Buffalo Carp. It also floats after the shot- which is nice. I would of shot more but I couldn't fit any more on the stringer I had.

--------Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0007-1.jpg
    IMG_0007-1.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Nice job!

Boy, I need to start playing some catch up!

That center one almost looks like one of those jumbing carp they have in Chicago???

Gene

The Center one is what my friends and myself call Buffalo carp- I know the jumping carp are called Asian Carp they are light like the buffalo but shaped more like the common carp. The buffalo carp are big round carp and their eyes are more on the sides of their head. But maybe- I'm no expert.

------------Scott

I've gotten some nice size Buffalo carp there as well.

From what I understand, the buffalo are native and the Asian carp are invasive.

Jon

Last edited:

Shot 4 Carp on 6-11-07 on Swan Lake a weight total of 20.4#. which Brings my year total to 17 carp at 167.6#. It should be more I saw 2 giant carp but due to their size and clearity of the water I thought they were big muskies until it was too late. You could tell I was a foreign object in "their" Lake. About 3 different Anglers got pretty close to me. One guy was maybe 15' from hitting me But I still Had a blast!rofl

-----------Scott

Attachments

• FrogSwanLake.jpg
    FrogSwanLake.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 162
  • MuskieSwanLake.jpg
    MuskieSwanLake.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 176
  • StringerSwanLake.jpg
    StringerSwanLake.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT