• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish Spearing/Garbage Removal Contest 2007 (Entire Year) - Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: Fish Spearing Contest 2007 (Entire Year) - Wisconsin

bgill,

No enterance fee...& the contest does not stop until Dec 31...so, there is plenty of time...Go for it...

gene

Egg Harbor 3 carp. Crystal Lake weekend before, 2 pop cans

Total Rough Fish for year = 2 Suckers, 13 Carp

Garbage = 2 Pop cans

Attachments

• egg harbor carp 2.JPG
    egg harbor carp 2.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
my pond = 1 dr pepper. lake emily = diet cola, royal cola. sunset lake = one disposible razer. (what it was doing in 20 ft of water no idea.) one whitetails unlimited tshirt. one piece of paper. lake michigan = 1 condom. eww. got it with my spear tip. i think i can win this one lol. pinggene, how much does one of your wetsuits cost? where did you buy it?

Bobby (my son) & I went off Green Lake on Saturday 9/1. Vis was not that good...about 8'...The wind was blowing at us & stiring things up a bit...boat waves were not helping either. We should have been on the other side of the lake, & we should have been there earlier...would have been better.

That being said, we did end up with 3 (I only got one). Bobby had a heck of a time with carp getting off...I think it is time for a double band for him. I didn't take as many shots as I should have. We both saw about 30 carp each. But it was one of those things where if your spear wasn't pointing where they appeared out of the haze, when you moved on them (slow or fast), they took off. There was a lot of shooting from the hip today with my long gun (90 cm). Wish I would have had one about 1/2 the size (I saw a 55cm at Precision Sports the other day...tempting). Oh well. Still great to be out.

No garbage found on this trip...YEA!

Total Rough Fish for year = 2 Suckers, 14 Carp

Garbage = 2 Pop cans

Here is a photo of Bobby.

Gene

Attachments

• Bobby - Green Lake 9-07 - Small.JPG
    Bobby - Green Lake 9-07 - Small.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Couple questions. What size gun? 75cm too big for fresh water? And what do you do with all the carp you shoot?

Bobby's gun is a 75cm, mine is a 90 cm. I wish I would have bought a shorter gun. Many times my 90 is being shot from the hip because, if I keep it extended, the fish see my gun way before I see them...

The carp, one can smoke them, but I usually find a convienent dumpster. I'm just happy to get them out of the system...

Gene

ILDiver - I use the Carp for Fertilizer and also Coyote bait - I know - I'm cruel, But so is Coyote's eating all the fawns and turkey chicks. Plus Carp put up a great fight. There are some recipes on here for carp- Alot of people eat them (not the big ones). My Father-In-Law will smoke a under 10lb one every once in awhile-

Thanks for the info. I'm not much for eating carp. I hope to get up that way to spear as often as I can once I get a gun and start really freediving.

--Chris

Ok... with no perch around I finally gave in and took my first carp. It was a lot of fun! But I do need a different set-up.... fortunately I hit this one in the head and stunned it. I need to figure out how to securly tie the handle of my speargun to my float in case I get a real fighter. After it woke up it fought a bit.... but nothing I couldn't manage.

~Brian

Attachments

• Picture 701.jpg
    Picture 701.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 169
Ya watch out! I almost lost my polespear the other day on a slob of a carp at South Shore Yacht Club. :naughty I used some little aluminum carabiners for my float line attachement to my polespear and my kayak. The carp weighed about 25 pounds and took off for the rocks like a huge brown aquatic rabbit!:t

Even with the polespear bungie - the bruiser snapped the little carabiners like nothing. With the low vis I even ended up losing my home made floatline.:hmm

:fridayI was lucky and on a subseqent dive & I saw my polespear sticking out from under some rock columns I call "the pillars"!!!! I finned over to it and thar she blows the carp was there too! :inlove It and my spear wedged under the rocks!!!! I went back up for air and pulled my BIG knife off my kayak - dove back down and subdued the hearty thrashings of the fish - And rescued my polespear!:friday

Next float line I make is gonna be made with a built in bungies and really large stainless snap swivels.

You guys may want to go in on a 100' Float line - and cut it- I cut mine in 25' lengths then put D-clips on the ends (I think you call them d-clips - kinda like the ones Rock climbers use). Or I'm sure you guys will come up with some Great idea that works ;) .

Brian,

Nice fish...I knew you would come over to the dark side sooner or later! :)

I like having a reel on my gun. It is just an old fly reel, but it works great. I put some 250 lb braided nylon on it...about 75'. I have a 6" bungie (kind you use for salmon behind a dipsy diver - can find at bait shops) between the spear line (I use 350 lb mono) and the reel line.

I also have a loop of line on the handle of my spear gun that I can clip to my float line if it is needed. So far, the reel has taken the brunt of the big running carp & the bungie takes the brunt of the fight. This set up seems to work pretty good.

Gene

Last edited:
Scott,

Sorry, I guess I don't know what "10 cord" is...excuse my ignorance...I can't get your joke if I don't know what it is...:)

10 cord - Isn't that what you were using while Salmon Fishing- The one line that seemed a Mile long and heavy? Maybe it's not called 10 cord. By the way - I have a Junk to add to my count- I went to Pine Lake north of Westfield and found a Motorolla Walkie-Talkie and I also found a trolling motor propeller. We were told the lake had a ton of carp in it- IT DID NOT! We didn't see a single Carp- But we did See LARGE schools of BASS- I've never seen Bass school up like that before- My camera Died otherwise I would of Taken some pics or Video. It was kinda cool- We saw 3 different schools that held maybe 30-40 Bass - Each school -

Bobby (my son) & I went to Green Lake today. Vis was not very good. We ended up getting 7 carp (Bobby got 5). My long gun (90 cm) is too big when you can only see 5' - 7'. Anyway, was a great time.

Total Rough Fish for year = 2 Suckers, 16 Carp

Garbage = 2 Pop cans

Attachments

• Dad Greenlake Carp 2 9-07 - Small.JPG
    Dad Greenlake Carp 2 9-07 - Small.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Dad Greenlake Carp 9-07 small.JPG
    Dad Greenlake Carp 9-07 small.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
This is my garbage collection from Pine Lake in Marquette co. 1 handheld radio, and 1 trolling motor propeller. Is addition to the garbage I collected out of Devils lake on 9-8-07: 4 cans, 1 plastic water bottle, a broken fishing pole, 3 fishing lures (2 spinners, 1 jig), a padding from a womens swimsuit. and lots of Fish line. It was kinda sad to see all the Junk that people took out of the lake :naughty The worse part is - there are Garbage cans all around the lake - even on the trails- and yet people still throw their junk in the rocks and lakes.

Attachments

• IMG_0001-1.jpg
    IMG_0001-1.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 161
When we walked from the boat ramp to the west side, we should have taken our trash bags. We could have filled them on the shore alone where all the people were. But we never would have made it to the water!

Ok- I shot 1 more Carp on 9-13-07 in Green Lake. I saw lots- but only shot at 1. This brings my total to 23 carp, 7 suckers and 1 gar, and a Freshwater Drum.:martial . Taking Carp- 1 fish at a time ;)

Attachments

• PIC_0001.jpg
    PIC_0001.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 156
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT