• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

florida freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey guys, I am a novice spearo planning to visit Miami the week before Easter and wanting to go on a deepwater spearfishing trip. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- jason b.

Hey guys, I am a novice spearo planning to visit Miami the week before Easter and wanting to go on a deepwater spearfishing trip. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- jason b.
Quite a few try reposting in FL section

Hey Everyone
I'll be heading back down to S. Florida this week (wed - Sun) and would like to do some spearfishing. I haven't been back in about 3 years, I've been finishing school in Gainesville, but will be moving back down there in a few months. I will be joining the S. Fl. Free-diving club when I get there, can't wait.

I will have access to a boat and need to find some good reef or wreck dives to freedive and spearfish. If you can help me find some spots, you're welcome to come along on the boat. I'm thinking probably Fri, or Sat. I remember a bunch of shore-dive locations, but I can't seem to remember where all the good off-shore locations are.

Here's my cell if your interested in hooking up: 352-281-3713.

Have a great day!

Dennis

Hiya Ikanabu,

where 'bouts are you? If headed to the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area send me a PM I'd be glad to steer you in the fish direction...BTW you might like to post in the Florida section, which is frequented by a lot of locals...good luck!

Thanks dude, for the info. I'm gonna be in the Delray Beach/Boca area.

I was looking for the Florida section? but not able to find what forum section it's located under? Where do I find it?

Thanks Man!

Dennis

I think I found the Florida section under "Florida and East Coast".

If you have any good tips for offshore for Delray through Davie, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dennis

I think I found the Florida section under "Florida and East Coast".

If you have any good tips for offshore for Delray through Davie, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dennis

thats the one, not to familiar that far north, but still might be able to scrunge up some #'s

Does anyone know any freediving spots nearshore, somewhere north of Cocoa or Ponce Inlet? St. Augustine, or even near Jacksonville Beach. Its murky here most the time, but on some good days, the water does clear up believe it or not.

Something like a ship wreck, Jetty maybe.

For example, I know where a shrimp boat went down about 500 yards offshore, and we dive it for mangroves.

But this is all I have. Any help would be appreciated.

This is great. I feel very unprepared to move to Florida and dive but maybe this forum can help me. I live in Hawaii right now but I am moving to Miami at the end of this month. I have no connections in the diving world in Florida like I do out here. So I would love to learn more from you all and definitely get in the water. I also posted a question on another thread. So I will ask it here as well.
I live in hawaii and have been seriously diving for about two years. I have all my gear (gun,wetsuit,mask,float with line etc.,fins, weight belt) Out here I am covered when it comes to quality gear. I paid a good amount for it all and I love what I have.
My question is this. Besides the wetsuit (water is colder in California) Should I just bring all my equipment home with me or should I start over? I have a picasso 110 modified double band with no reel, cressi sub dive fins, AQA Naida silicon mask and a hard plastic dive float with flag and everything else. What do you know of transfering equipment?

This is great. I feel very unprepared to move to Florida and dive but maybe this forum can help me. I live in Hawaii right now but I am moving to Miami at the end of this month. I have no connections in the diving world in Florida like I do out here. So I would love to learn more from you all and definitely get in the water. I also posted a question on another thread. So I will ask it here as well.
I live in hawaii and have been seriously diving for about two years. I have all my gear (gun,wetsuit,mask,float with line etc.,fins, weight belt) Out here I am covered when it comes to quality gear. I paid a good amount for it all and I love what I have.
My question is this. Besides the wetsuit (water is colder in California) Should I just bring all my equipment home with me or should I start over? I have a picasso 110 modified double band with no reel, cressi sub dive fins, AQA Naida silicon mask and a hard plastic dive float with flag and everything else. What do you know of transfering equipment?

Bro your gear sounds good for FL waters with the exeption of your gun, I mean by all mean's don't take this the wrong way. It will just depend on where you plan to hunt. The majority of the places here are all accesible by boats. I know people that hunt with 120 band and 130 air and some times they tell me that their guns are to big, this my not be a problem to some people but i would really hate to see you take a shot at a big hog and in the back of your head you are thinking man I got to much power and there are rocks behind the fish.
Give me a pm i'm looking into Picasso guns, which gun do you own ? Century Pacific? 7mm or 6.6 mm shaft

Last edited:
Welcome to Florida! Soon anyways.........I know what Armando says comes from encounters he's had in the water (btw mando' el agua va a estar clarita este fin de semana asere) but u also should consider that u have two bands on your gun......I used to use a cressi SL 70 for smaller stuff and then a Cressi SL100 for bigger prey......switching back and forth paled in comparison to "get ready for it" - loading only a single band.....That is, It sounds like you have all your stuff set. Why buy a new gun if you already have the option to hunt for small or big game with your current gun? This is the same internal conflict I had for years when I first began.....I went from a band gun to pneumatics, to band again, then another pneumatic.....finally I stuck with a double band and it made all the sense in the world......I have a Rob Allen 120 - its not difficult to swing around and maneuver as some would say, plus I'm assuming you've gotten pretty accustomed to the weight and maneverability of your own gun.......My advice, stick with the one you have, as reef fishing is the majority of what you'd likely be doing down here.......take it easy brother.

cheers,
Mario

Short notice, but I'll be at Blue Springs State Park Friday at 8:30 for about 3 hours, unexpected pleasure. PM me if you can be there.

Connor

FL freediver in the house:blackeye Dive mostly the west coast, looking to get into deeper stuff. Mainly interested in improving depth/time for spearfishing purposes.

Hey, I just started freediving. I live in DeLand, Fl and got a annual pass to Florida state parks and go to blue springs and Deleon springs all the time. If anyone wants to meet up there just hit me up.

Welcome & Blue Springs

Mbeard,

Welcome to freedving and Deeper Blue. I'll be at Blue Springs this Saturday (5/10) at 8 AM if you (or anyone else) want to try to meet. I try to make it to Blue at least once a week (usually first thing in the AM to beat the scuba guys).

Thanks and hope to see you there.

Scott
ismy

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT