• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

florida freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Will,

We're going to spend a couple days in orlando on the way to so fla, do you know if blue springs is open? I thought I heard it was closed? Any other suggestions for springs diving around the city?

Will,

We're going to spend a couple days in orlando on the way to so fla, do you know if blue springs is open? I thought I heard it was closed? Any other suggestions for springs diving around the city?

I hadn't heard it was closed - but I've been working 6-7 days a week for the past 3 months so I could be a bit behind. It depends on what you want to do/see. There are a lot of good springs for general snorkeling/freediving around the area.

Reactions: JMD
Hi guys I'm new, I spear from Miami. Always lookin to shoot a worthy catch. PM for trips. I pitch in for gas/beer/food.

My wife is trying to talk me into going to Miami (F. Lauderdale area, just a few blocks from DiveFIT) from the 28th Oct to 4th Nov. of this year.

I wanted to do a AIDA *** course but neither FIT not PFI have one. Any freedive or spearing type things on to tempt me?

I'm new to the area and looking for buddies. I'd also love suggestions for decent shore diving. Please email anytime you are looking for a another set of fins :) I'm up for a day of straight diving or spearing.

Last edited:
hello everyone
I will be heading to FL area in April or may of 09 to visit Family in the Crystal Bay and Orlando area and would like to get a couple of hunting free dives in but need a partner to go with. Advise and recommendations wold also be greatly appreciated.
Slimsteve

I am going to start conditioning to compete starting next month in the Central, FL region if anyone is interested in coming along. Probably head up to some of the deeper springs in cave country.

Going to try and visit one of the Central Florida springs either Friday or Sunday - anyone interested?

Hey all, Gettin into freediving/ spearfishing here in Sarasota, anyone in my area new aswell to maybe go out sometime? drop me a line..

Hello florida freedivers!

I am in florida near Jacksonville currently, for some military training at camp blanding. We are going to have one day off on april 30th and I was wondering if there are any decent place to dive, either springs or slat water, in the area. Is there anything interesting that I could get to in a single day? I brought my mask and fins on the plane from canada, hoping i could capitalize on that day off in florida to get wet!! :p

Any ideas on places to go or what to do in the area?

Welcome to Florida! Unfortunately, you are not in the best diving area - the shore dives there are shallow and no viz and the closest (good) springs are well over an hour away.

If you have some drive time, PM me and I'll recommend some springs based on what you are looking for (i.e., depth, scenic, caverns, etc.).

Thanks,

Scott

We got our internet access removed the day before our trip, but I managed to get myself a vehicule and spoke with a guy at a dive center who gave me directions for a few springs. I headed to Alexander Springs and enjoyed it. I would have loved to have more depth to play around with but as a first spring diving experience it was interesting! Water was very clear, not too cold and the caves were dark and scary, at least from what I could see of them! I liked the 'boiling sands' at the bottom :p

Overall a good experience :p I'm looking into coming back for some real vacations, probably in the keys area that time, though!

Michel

Glad you had fun! Alexander is a great dive where your guaranteed to see some cool things. Silver Glen Springs is a good one to snorkel and is just down the road!

You will have to come back as there are a lot more you'll have to check out!

Hey all, lookin to go to one of the springs in gainsville, maybe Ginnie springs. Been a few years since i been there. Going to be snorkling and such with the g/f and all, hows the depth there for free diving into some of the caves, I can scuba also if i want but rather scuba. any recommendations on the spring or maybe another? We also want to relaxand float along the river aswell since thats there aswell.

Thanks..
Tristan

I wouldn't recommend freediving into the caves at Ginnie as you never know when a diver coming in or going out could block the way.
There isn't much depth at Ginnie - Devil's Ear has maybe 40-50 feet but is a very narrow opening and not much to see and can get banged up easily if you arent careful. Troy Springs is good for depth - but is apparently closed right now.

Devils Den & Blue Grotto aren't too far - and they are both wide open caverns - but I would still proceed with caution and make sure you have some divers down beneath. I think both of these require divers to be with you to snorkel. You could also check otu weeki wachee springs.

Good luck!

what springs you recommend asfar as being able to freedive a bit and float down the river. we are probably gunna be camping out for a day or 2 so dont want everyone else to get bored with just snorkling. I havent been to any other besides Ginnie so if you guys know of a good one for me to look into, let me know.

I would consider Rainbow River or Crystal River - you cant rent canoes on both and are great snorkeling and diving sites. Rainbow River you'd paddle upstream and drift downstream. Crystal River is a large network of clear water and several springs are connected - would even see some manatees more then likely. Crystal River has a little more depth in some of the springs then Rainbow (max 25~feet)

well it looks like rainbow doesnt have camping right now, closed for renovations it says till further notice, so thats out it seems. Crystal looks promising, so does Silver Glen.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT