• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Go Herbert Go !!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Herbert lung volume(if I remember right) was in Hawaii 2002, 7,4 lit and with packing close to 12.
That is a 62% increase from packing! Michael Antinori just roomed with Herbert and Alexey Molochov at the Worlds Depth comp. He said he learned a tremendous amount about equalization from Herbert. Herbert being someone who equalization has not come easy, but has been able to master it, is someone I think we could really learn from.
Go get some records Herbert!
don

GOOD LUCK HERBERT!!! Alles Gute aus Wien - all the best from vienna.

Drück Dir die Daumen,
Michael

Some comments:

1. The story of Herbert pulling down the float was true, it was my float and line, in Montreux in 2000. I lent Herbert my line & float, and he decided to attach a concrete block as the bottom weight. He did free immersion on the way up, which pulled down the float! Eventually the whole line started sinking as the float compressed, and herbert swam up from 47m pulling the concrete weight as his buddy came down to meet him.

2. Equalizing... I had a talk with Herbert about equalizing before he left, throwing around some ideas for no-limits & CW. We were talking about filling the mask with sterile saline, then sucking it into the sinuses around 150m... (after the mouthfill has reached its limit), but I'm not sure if that is what he chose to do in the end. As far as I know he stops the sled at 40m to fill his mouth, then uses that to a certain depth, then he was supposed to switch to some wet technique after 150m+, but I don't know exactly which he chose to use.

HI Herbert,

All the best with your record attempts!

How are you avoiding DCS and fatigue with such a crazy schedule?

Pete

Hi everybody!

1. I am doing a dry equalizaion - no fluids in my mouth, sinus or eustchiantubes. It seems to work for me. It consists of 2 new (to me)technques combined. I will let you all know when I am done with the records. I am not sure if it will be ok over 200 but I can still combine this technique with the "wet thing".

2. The rope is to short for training, but I will only try to break the official aida record.

Yesterday we went spearfishing and today is to first rest day ( bad waves). The judges arrive in the afternoon and tomorrow we try to break a record, if the wether permits.

Herbert,
It is a pleasure it is to read your post. I admire the way you just do it and leave the politics to others. You are a true sportsman and an ambassador for our sport.
I wish you the best of luck for all your record attempts and hope that you get a chance to update us on your progress.
Matt

Hi Herbert,

I wish you all the power and strength you need for your attempts. I would be very happy to see you back on top again, preferably in the real disciplines... I mean constant and co, not the pool stuff ;-)

So good luck and be smart about the deco stuff

Herbert,

After knowing you did that 107m (with a short hang at the bottom to get the tag) I'd believe you're capable of just about anything. Best of luck on the record attempts.

Michael.

tomsietas said:
Hi Herbert,

I wish you all the power and strength you need for your attempts. I would be very happy to see you back on top again, preferably in the real disciplines... I mean constant and co, not the pool stuff ;-)

So good luck and be smart about the deco stuff

Tom, when will you turn from pool monster into sea monster?? I'd love to see what you can do on the ocean!

herbert!

you have to give natalia molchanova some competition in the multi-record breaking arena!

Go deep, have fun, and bring us back some Giant Squid to eat.

Pete

Herbert,

From Holland also all the luck with the record attemps.....keep us posted!!!

Pim

I'm still in a kind of awe of reading the posts from the real giants in this sport. It's so amazing and it really gives you the feeling of how special and including this society (or whatever you'd like to call it) is!

I'll send you a good luck from Norway, Herbert. I really hope you make your goals! :D

According to the freediving.at site, it appears Herbert did 190m no-limits in practice, if I understood correctly.

Congratulations!

Best of luck herbert on all attempts. Girl of waters right its amazing to come in here and read real posts from the pros, I find it motivates me a lot to be so close to the best in the world. Thanks

I'll third that, it is so incredible to "hang out" with the giants of the sport on Deeperblue. It's also inspiring that they are so mutually supportive of each other. Stephan, thanks for creating such a wonderful little world!

Speaking of inspiring, my hopes and prayers are with you Herbert, stay safe, and keep proving scientists wrong. From Texas...

~James

Indeed!

I'm just heading out first thing tommorrow for Vegas and the DEMA trade show to hang out with some of the "legends" in the sport and help promote FreeDiving to the diving industry!

In the meantime - best of luck Herbert!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT