• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greatest freediver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is the greatest freediver of all times?

• Enzo Maiorca

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Jacques Mayol

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • Pipin

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Umberto Pelizzari

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • Debora Andollo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Streeter

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Audrey Mestre

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Herbert Nitsch

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • Martin Stepanek

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Gianluca Genoni

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm w/ Erik

Indeed Alimar.

Having had the great fortune to have met Mr. Mayol, (and I use the term Mr. very rarely) early in my time diving, his manner, vision and soul gave me the direction to a power greater than I had and still seek to experience.

The news of his death and especially in the way he died, still leaves me with a void and a hope.

sven

Speaking of great divers, congrats to my buddy Tyler Zetterstrom who just did a dry static of 8'07. First contraction at 4'10, 150 contractions total. It was his first attempt at fire breathing. He only did one warm up apnea, which didn't go to contractions.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

The Big Blue

I agree, with you that the Big Blue did portrae Enzo and Mayol in a way wich possibly was "slightly" off the mark. But what you have to remember is that film introduced an entire generation to the sport. i think most of you will strugle to name a freediver who hasnt seen it. While it was obviosuly aimed at a much wider audince than just freedivers, it is still a hauntingly acurate account of how many see people see Enzo and Mayol. But those who take the time and read into their lifes begin to see that in a way the philopshys taken up by both divers may have been closer to the truth than a lot would like to think. In no way am i saying either was nothing other than incredible divers, but their attitudes towards freediveing were very diffirent. i have every respect for Enzo, i think he was a great diver, but in my opinion the title of greatest has to go to Mayol. While he may have broken many records, Mayol as a personality brought more to the concept of Freediving than any other diver. His protegue umberto imsure would agree with me. Im sorry about the slightly mudled up spelling just in form the pub.

Alistair Marr

Originally posted by efattah
Tyler Zetterstrom who just did a dry static of 8'07.

Holy Crap! We are yet to meet, Tyler, but I look forward to it, based on your accounts on the freedivecanada list. I think we share a strong love for the west coast of Canada.
Go to the nationals and kick some butt maybe ?
Good luck,
Erik Y.

who's the greatest freediver?

I don't really know, I used to think Umberto, but then I didn't know about any others. I tend to think I'm the greatest, but then again i'm the only one in the bay.

These days I think Fred buyle is pretty cool, but that's more a style thing. I'm not really into the whole "record" scene I think it takes alot from the sport. I mean I would like to think off freediving as a lifestyle sport like snowboarding. But sadly too many divers only want those damn records, and many newbies will quit because they can "only" hold their breath for 2 min.

Originally posted by Seal
who's the greatest freediver?

I. I tend to think I'm the greatest, but then again i'm the only one in the bay.
[/QUOTE

:) I like that!

But sadly too many divers only want those damn records, and many newbies will quit because they can "only" hold their breath for 2 min. [/B][/QUOTE

I think you may be correct in that statement, but if a newbie's only attraction is to be able to hit "X" as soon as possible, then that's the attraction for him/her. Then, newbie either loses interest because he/she cannot attain the goal, or on the way discovers the attraction of the lifestyle. If they don't become attracted to the beauty of immersion in the sea, then maybe they never would have? Who knows?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

No such animal

I think there's no such thing as The Greatest Freediver...

It's like asking somebody who's the greatest guitar player - some will say Paco De Lucia, but the rest will vote for Eric Clapton or Mark Knopfler, and there'll always be a third gang shouting for Jimi Hendrix and a fourth for Ingwie Malmsteen and...

I used to think Jacques Mayol is the greatest when I was a kid, and then Umberto, but I heard about Renzo Mazzari and Jose Amengual, and now about Pepe Vina and of course - Pedro Carbonell.

Who's better? The one who can do a single dive to 150+ meters or the other guy who dives to 35+ meters, every 4-5 minutes for 6 hours? Or the one who snaps his fingers and holds his breath for (let me check again Eric's post cuz I still can believe it), yeah - 8'07".
Every single one of them may be called "The Greatest", depending on whether you're a blues, folk, rock, heavy metal, or even Austrian alpine yodelers (?) fan! :)

And there will always be a youngster lurking in the shadows jaust waiting for his turn to be called a virtuoso.

Who's the greatest freediver? Beats the s**t outta me!

Ivan

I remember someone once asking the same question about rock climbers...who is the greatest.

I think Alex Lowe's answer would also apply to freediving.

The worlds greatest freediver is the one who's having the most fun.:cool:

Reactions: Shadowkiller
hi

Whos the greatest freediving spearo well Alberto March of course LEGENDARY.
Best deep diver Mr Murat something like 105m.
Best breathold dude well theres a whole bunch of them who are doing over 8mins. My vote still goes to Umberto for getting me into freediving
:cool:

cheers

I don't think i can choose just one.
They are all top atleths, they inspire me... but also lets me know what they did for the sport of freediving as it is.

I thank them all and all others who are trying to develop and promote this sport.

Jure

And the award goes to...

Choose? Judge by what?
I agree with zipy, what makes one of the above the greatest ever? Is it supposed to be the deepest? The one with the longest statics? The one who`s been the most shining image to us? It`s clear that any of the above have made their contribution to the sport, each in his own way, so I`ll say I`ll choose them all as the best because they were all required to make the sport what it is now...

Dive often, Joe

I think Martin deserves a mention as one of the greats.

A new world record (by 3m!) in competition, with a mask, wearing bi fins, in tough conditions and relatively cold water.

The same goes for Herb - it takes a lot to attempt something like that.

Yogis can also hold their breath for 3 hours.
So maybe the deepest bear should be called 'yogi bear.'

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

About yogis

Hello!

Has anyone on these forum actually seen a yogi performing one of these extreme breathholds??

I really like the idea of breathholding for extreme times but I'm sorry to admit that I don't belive in it until I have seen it....:confused:

I hope I will see proof some day.;)

hi

3 hour static that sure is extreme are you serious Eric

cheers

If you find long yogi breath-holds interesting, you should read the book 'Path of Fire & Light, vol 1' by Swami Rama. In it, he describes in detail what happens when the yogi holds his breath for various lengths of time.

For example, he says that a retention of 10'48" results in withdrawal of the physical senses. A full retention is 13.5 minutes and results in samadhi. He says that by resisting the contractions, the vagus nerve is stimulated, which in turn slows the heart to almost complete cessation, after which the yogi can remain in apnea for ages.

He says that after 68 minutes of apnea, he says that the air in the lungs becomes so stale that the body tries to expel the air through the digestive system. He says that around the 68 minute mark, the air will suddenly try to enter the alimentary canal (i.e. oesophagus), and the air will force its way through the belly & intestines and try to exit the digestive system from below. He says the yogi must clench his pelvic floor muscles to prevent the escape of the air, and this can be painful in the beginning. Then, once the air has moved into the digestive system, he explains what happens as the yogi holds his breath for 1h20, 2h42, and even longer. The longest breath hold he mentions is 60,000 seconds (1000 minutes = 16.7 hours), although he himself never claims to have reached such a time.

Don't be fooled into thinking that these breath-holds are simply a matter of mind power or concentration. Swami Rama clearly explains that extended kumbhaka (apnea) is not possible until the nadis (nerve channels) have been purified (which is done by practicing certain exercises for months or years). Only after the nerve channels have been purified is it possible to control the involuntary system. He also explains that the secret to breath holding is to learn how to control the exhale. All of the yoga exercises involve very slow exhales (through the nose), even after very long apneas. Freedivers never exhale slowly (and hardly ever exhale through their nose), and thus it seems that freedivers might lose the mystical benefits of their apnea. Swami Rama states that the way to increase kumbhaka is to learn to control the exhalation, and by controlling the exhalation, the yogi eventually learns to control the entire involuntary system.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi

Wow great reading Eric im interested in what he means by the nadis been purified is that something we all can do or something special. Also do these guys pack for these breatholds or do they not believe in max air volume.

cheers

Audrey Mestre

Audrey Mestre was the greatest free diver. She only got into the sport because she was in love with Pipin but once she did she was unstoppable. She was tragically struck down before she even hit her full stride in the sport.

In 1997 while in a hot tub with Pipin she held her breath for 5 min 50 sec which at the time was 30 sec. longer than the female static apnea world record. One of her first dives was 263 ft. which got her a record. In 1998 she and Pipin set the tandem dive record of 378 ft. In 2000, she hit 412 ft, a world record. In 2001 she hit 427 ft. off of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. That dive made her the fifth deepest free diver ever of either sex!

Then Tanya Streeter busted out that 525 footer in 2002, so Audrey started training to go deeper still! On her last training dive before her death, she hit 558 ft!!! Unofficially the deepest ever. As uncanny as Jacques Mayol was for the first generation of free divers, Audrey Mestre was for the next. Her diaphragm contractions and heart rate statistics were amazing, almost alien. At the rate she was increasing her depths with apparent ease, who knows what she could have done if she were still alive and had a few more years experience in the sport. She seemed to have no boundaries.

On an end note, I believe Pipin will break the world record at his mid-July dive, or die trying as he attempts to rid himself of some of Audreys demons.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT