• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greatest freediver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is the greatest freediver of all times?

• Enzo Maiorca

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Jacques Mayol

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • Pipin

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Umberto Pelizzari

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • Debora Andollo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Streeter

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Audrey Mestre

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Herbert Nitsch

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • Martin Stepanek

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Gianluca Genoni

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tough question and almost impossible to answer.
I think all the freedivers in the poll are the greatest in some respect.

I haven't met any of them, but I think I'd go for either Tanya or Umberto. They somehow seem to be the most accessible by the freedive community.

Looks like someone is manipulating the poll....

Easy enough to do, just delete the cookie for DB on your PC..:naughty

hi

That sucks, Umberto really has the most votes :cool:

cheers

Originally posted by Shadowkiller
Looks like someone is manipulating the poll....

Easy enough to do, just delete the cookie for DB on your PC..:naughty

Out of interest - what makes you think that the poll is being manipulated?

hi

Last time I checked here both Audrey and Pipin had no where near 102 votes each :hmm Maybe that whats Shadow was getting at as well.

cheers

Fair point.

One thing to bear in mind that Guests can vote on polls without having to register and we get a lot of guests on the board, more so recently with the article in Sports Illustrated about Pipin and Audrey.

Originally posted by Stephan Whelan
Out of interest - what makes you think that the poll is being manipulated?

Every time I check it the Pipin-Audrey votes have increased the same amount. And 2 weeks ago Pipins votes were almost non-existent...

Here in Oz a political poll was manipulated the same way. The easiest way to check is to see which IP address the votes came from... If the same one keeps poping up...:naughty

I think the poll has turned into- who has received
the most press in the past two weeks. Even my father who
doesn't know who Tanya Streeter is was talking about how Pipin is the all time best yesterday. People have short memorys and
to be honest Pipin is pretty darn good. Not my choice, but very respectable as a diver.

Do you personally "know" the man?

What do you mean by "... as a person?" Do you personally KNOW the man? Or (as in the case of Kobe Bryant--whom we ALL thought we "knew") is all that you know of him what you have read and seen in the media?

Confused

:confused: chatman2 -- which post are you dissing? I didn't see any posts with the "... as a person" quote.

Last edited:
I found the quote

I had the same question.
He was talking about one of the first posts on this thread.

Chatman2- My guess is, he just may, KNOW the man.
Some great divers are in here.

Hmm, someone shot a "karmic blank" at me for my preceding post. Unsigned -- couldn't tell if it was positive or negative.

I wasn't trying to condemn (or praise) anyone -- I was sincerely wondering who piqued chatman2 and why. I was also kind of hoping that the post wasn't a misplaced rant at Ramstam.

As of today, Tanya Streeter now holds 4 world records at one time - that is an amazing feat to have accomplished!!!

Congratulations to Tanya Streeter in her amazing accomplishment today!!!

Actually Cliff, she has 5 world records as Tanya set a mark in the constant without fins at 35m.

For me, I think that you have to look at the freediver that leaves a lasting mark on the sport. What they have done and bring to the sport and the manner in which they do it. And for me the greatest is Umberto. I have been lucky to meet him on many occassions and he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

I would have got to much flak if I had said Tanya.

Paul Streeter

Thanks for clarifying that Paul

You're probably right - You might have received a "LITTLE" flak... ;)

....how about...

One of the first freedivers to write about his experiences....Guy Gilpatric (1896-1950) ?

Re: ....how about...

Originally posted by OceanSwimmer
One of the first freedivers to write about his experiences....Guy Gilpatric (1896-1950) ?

...and then there's the tale of Gilgamesh, a few years before Gilpatric: http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/MESO/GILG.HTM
:)
"Utnapishtim's wife convinces the old man to have mercy on him; he offers Gilgamesh in place of immortality a secret plant that will make Gilgamesh young again. The plant is at the bottom of the ocean surrounding the Far-Away; Gilgamesh ties stones to his feet, sinks to the bottom, and plucks the magic plant. But he doesn't use it because he doesn't trust it; rather he decides to take it back to Uruk and test it out on an old man first, to make sure it works. "
Cheers,
Erik Y.

hi

I give credit to pipin as the one of the best freediver and spearfisher ..i have hearing about him since I was in cuba..we are from the same place the bay of matanzas".where I did spearfishing.I remember all my friends telling me about how many meters pipin bajaba ect.y otras historias mas ...

saludos

Daniel.

I could hardly disagree more with the result of the poll so far, I sit with a bad feeling that it unfortunately benefits a competing freediver to oversell oneself. I don't like the taste of someone who took so many unnecessary risks in a misconcepted chase to accomplish oneself being knighted for tragic foolery. I'd much rather knight the freediver who is a complete athletic intelligence and never compromised safety in the midst of hunt.
But to hell with it, that's the people's vote and let the people be a loony bin in their own loveable fashion (kinda like the person they have voted on, I suppose). We're only humans, I blame no one...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT