• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hiy Guys...
Im here at the moment in your sunny and rainy island. Ive already been here for two weeks and im supposed to be staying until the end of august, if the fish are still around! If they leave...so do I!
Has anyone noticed that there are fewer bass around than before the sea got rough about a week ago? Ed has a theory that its to do with the full moon (three days after there are less fish)...but im not sure, maybe theve all just gone on holiday for a while...avoiding the rubbish weather!
Ive come a few times to Guernsey, 2 years ago i came 4 times and i often went fishing with Ed...who was a good buddy as he was well prepared with tides and currents and was very fit, taking me on long hunts reasonably far out!! Anyway..this year he seems to have other passions and neccessities, and apart from Mart, who has been amazingly kind, i seem to have been left high and dry! Ed's only come with me twice in almost three weeks!
Im ok fishing on my own, but to go to some of the best spots im not overly confident as there are strong tidal currents, and i prefer, as im sure you all agree being much safer, fishing with someone else.
I've read on DB of loads of you who seem to be going fishing a lot and i was wondering wether it would be cool if i could come out with any of you. basically i go fishing every day...so im always free! My phone number is 07781454743... maybe for tommorow? Low tides around 5.30pm...
Marco

Reactions: foxfish
Spicer that is just a bit of bad luck, perhaps you should try reciting some of you magical words to the bass?

Tried again at the same spot as Monday, way west to the vraic-eaters la!

Saw very little - a few mullet. I think I went in too early - later I met a friend's 20 year old son who'd tried in the weed around the corner and got a nice 6-7lb bass!:vangry

Also saw Laura and Spicer when I came up - Marco had already gone in, so I'll be interested to hear how they got on.

thinking of going to jersey on a spearfishing trip, dose any 1 know some good spots?

i would like to know were u can catch big monk fish in guernsey with a boat?

Do you mean monkfish, if so good luck!!!! If you mean angler fish, which a lot of resturants call monkfish then I know of a few about a mile off Fort Doyle, but you're going to have to have some depth on you though.

As Spaniard says, OMD will know A LOT more, but you're not going to find many on the short side of 20m.

There's also a good spearing shop to visit in Cr@paudland. apnea_intro

Finally got out for a night dive! Spicer, GBO200 and me.

Not got time to wax lyrical about it all suffice to say it was a beautiful night to be out. Warm water, great vis, flat calm and a stunning moonrise.

To top it all we got a nice haul of Sole - up to 3.5lb (we'll not mention Spicer's Mullet!)

Cheers guys!

[m]

Attachments

• SOLE.jpg
    SOLE.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 180
  • is it dead?.jpg
    is it dead?.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
i would like to know were u can catch big monk fish in guernsey with a boat?

So would I.

True monkfish are very rare although I have caught a small one and seen a few bigger ones landed but not for over 30 years. What most people call monkfish and I suspect what you are interested in is actually the angler fish.

Anglers used to be very common as basically there was little or no demand for them and hence no value. Tank diving in 20 metres plus over gravelly bottom I would see loads of them. South coast was always good but they were in truth everywhere. Then they became popular with restaurants offering them as a fashionable meal and paying top dollar. Within a couple of years the numbers plumetted. It was mainly beam trawlers that did the damage but everyone had a go. Caught my fair share up to 50+lb, although they grow to 100lb.

Caught the last one, a 25lb-er, in the boat between 5 and 10 years ago on the Hoffet off Grande Havre in about 25 metres.

My best freediving angler weighed in the twenties (lbs) and was caught off the north coast in about 7 metres maybe 15 years ago.

Most rod caught anglers are now taken near wrecks as this is the only place the trawlers can't get them.

Catching an angler by any means nowadays would be an achievement. good luck.

Dave

Here's a link to a similar post (with picture). http://forums.deeperblue.net/618465-post343.html

Last edited:
I went in this afty to get away form everyone and everything...

Went in to Fontenelle oop north. The viz was very poor over the bootlace and anywhere near the weed, lots of floating weed in the water and a swell coming into the bay, was better over the sandy bits so had a look for flats, thought I was in on a huge sole seen from the surface at about 3m but on closer prodding it turned out to be a hairy rock in the perfect shape, size and colour of a sole :vangry (unless it was just a well 'ard sole!!).

Saw a bass as well, maybe about 3-4lb but it saw me at the same time and was a darn sight faster than I was. Lots of rockies (wrasse), some 5lb+ ones as well but I have a lot of respect for them so left alone.

got my float tangled up in a bobber rope for what I assume was a pot, but I couldn't find the pot on the end of the rope, it was just never ending vanishing into some weed.

In good fashion I managed to cut my foot open proper getting back to the car, nice ash about 3 inches long and lot's of blood. nice for the girly dog walkers when i got to the car, they seemed impressed by the size of my cut and more importantly my big gun...:martial

Another blank but more time in the water is better than out on such a hot day, the car thermometer had the outside temp at 29c.

How did the Deeper blue wedding go people? Sorry I couldn't make it. Other things to deal with.

P.S. got a dive torch on order from Apnea and it was posted to me today, just a question of how to convince the missus I will be safe when I can't come back from a daylight dive without some form of injury...

P.P.S. How do i stop the rope from my float getting tangled round me fins? guess its just me being a numpty?

In true DeeperBlue style, Andy R and Jane had a mini-moke to the harbour, then were driven in a rib into the water and then across to the fantastic little island of Herm opposite for their reception.:friday :friday :friday

There was also a surprise outside the church, but I'll let the others post their pics ...

Congratulations Andy and Jane !:inlove

Attachments

• wedding1.JPG
    wedding1.JPG
    481.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Just come back from a dive with Marco down west way, Marco shot two bass but missed a couple & had some probs with his fins. I managed one bass of 5lb 2oz we thought it was a bigger looking fish :confused:
Dave took a pic so he will post it later.

Reactions: Old Man Dave
Nice report ADM! PMSL at the gash and gun part.

Well done to those catching, havnt been out myself, been doing lots and lots of fishing instead and unfortunately with little to show for it.

Went out today for a dangel at pembroke, begger me was it hot! If only I had a mask and snorkel i would'ave been jumping with the nippers that were scaring all the fish away.

Nice bass Foxy, had one tonight on rod an line, only a tiddler at 3lb something but had a couple of better ones earlier in the week.

I tried that spot I was pm'ing you guys about, didnt catch anything but i was fishing daylight and really only scouting about for future reference. Certainly has potential, will have to don the spearing gear and take a dip sometime to see whats really down there (close in of course as I'm too wimpy to got out as far/deep as some of you guys here).

By the way I have a Riffe Viso mask for sale if anyone wants it. I've only used it several times if that and it was new this year [aprill i think] and I still have the box. It is supposed to fit small/narrow faces but it seems to fit a broad tall face better. It cost me £38 - ish from apnea. Beer money offers welcomed, i dont know how much a second hand mask cost these days £15-20???? You are welcome to try it on or try it out before you buy to make sure it suits you sir..

Last edited:
Well what can I say?

What a day. I woke at 6'ish and decided to have quick swim on th rising tide. Missed a reasonable mullet in the weed and an OK bass:vangry but then came across this rockie. Off to church to do the deed, then imagine my surprise when we came out of the church there were girls dressed in tutus as a guard of honour (my wife runs a ballet school), but who did I see lurking in the background, even more of a surprise, a load of hairy divers brandishing spearguns!!!

Brilliant thank you very very much it was a complete surprise. The RIB was great as we drove up the beach.

Couple of pics attached, off to Antigua on honeymoon (a diving holiday) for 2 weeks, will try and post you some pics from there.

Once again thanks very very much and will catch up when back

Andy

Attachments

• P8040043_2.jpg
    P8040043_2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 182
  • P8040034_2.jpg
    P8040034_2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 04082007064_4.jpg
    04082007064_4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 203
  • P8040012_2.jpg
    P8040012_2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 177
  • P8040006_2.jpg
    P8040006_2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT