• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Congratulations Andy and the new Mrs. Andy. Pre-Wedding dive, eh. blimey, you were pushing your luck weren't you? ;)

Hope you enjoy your honeymoon.

Not exactly spearfishing related but - I went in for a paddle around the knife with a mate in our kayaks yesterday. the weather was just too nice to not be in the water and it was nice to be getting wet above the surface of the water for a change :)

It amazed me just how clear the fast flowing water was going over the causway of the knife. the water was so warm!! should have taken my gun and mask, i think i would have been happy without a wetsuit for 20mins or so.

Reactions: foxfish
Congratulations! What a motley crew holding spearguns aloft, I hope they didn't scare the bridesmaids.........:)

Anybody have any details for the wheels on that rib?? I know just the spot where a setup like that can come in very handy...
Thanx to any whos in the know :)

That's dedication Andy - start as you mean to go on!:D The " amphibious rib" was very James Bond. Looking forward to seeing your posts of catches from the Caribbean!:)

I went in at the Eastern spot the Holiday Guernsey 2007 team went to. Vis not so good, and a bit of a swell. Saw a few bass while hiding in the thick weed by the rocks, but only fleetingly.:vangry Swimming back across the bay, I suddenly realised that the large strip of bright green weed directly under me was the biggest wrasse I have ever seen! I reckon it must have been at least 8-9 lb, easily over the BS record. By the time I realised and managed to point my gun vertically down, it shot off. The big'uns don't hang around waiting to be shot like the smaller ones!

I'm off this week, but have visitors staying and the tides aren't ideal until later in the week, when I can escape for some morning dives.:)

Thanx man, yea they dont have to be road legal. Its just to exit the water with. One of our boat diving areas ( Arniston ) has a slipway thats open to the waves so the regulars there has wheelbarrow wheels that they connect to the back of the boat and then they just run the boat out onto the slip. The engens gets lifted off the ground and the front of the boat runs on the s/steel strip on the hull... Scary stuff actually lol

Congratulations Andy looks like you all had a good day.
I had my honeymoon in the Caribbean (Tobago) hope you and your Mrs. enjoy yours as much as I did mine.

The fishing is great hope you get time to try some.:)

If you want to be really fussy you could fit a brass bearing to the cheapo ones with the bearings, running on a stainless steel shaft it would last longer then a standard bearing that will start to rust the moment it touches the sea.

Just an idea.....

Last edited:
Ignorance is bliss but once spoiled could leave your wetsuit soiled! - There are some words you do not want to hear while diving, especially night diving in a beautiful tranquil moonlit Pembroke bay quite some distance from shore. Especially so after I had suddenly seen Marcel’s light a good eight meters below me split in two and another form appear from nowhere making you more aware of limitations of the 15degree, 10 meter torch beam window of awareness and the 350 degree unknown surrounding you.

Is your friends name Shark bait? - Is the question George (aka super lung) posed after his sudden unexpected appearance and Beardy and I had bragged about the two sole on the stringer attached to my weight belt. Suddenly I felt exposed – very exposed and wished that I had dragged along my trusty diving float so that I could hoard the catch there. My elation about my first sole wore a little thin as I could hear the dum dum de dum playing in my mind. It certainly does not help that Jaws is having a rerun on the telly and Marcel mentioned this just before the dive.

But not one to ponder too long on a risk already taken I trusted that things would go well and set out to enjoy the rest of the dive. It was magnificent to see Marcel bag the largest sole I had ever seen and to see some cuttlefish and even a red mullet. As can be seen from Beardy’s photos George also managed to bag two sole.

I am however starting to wonder at the force field powers of the bass as I missed another two sitters and then headshot the smallest mullet ever. Still all in all a great dive and one to be repeated soon but this time with float and stringer a safe distance in tow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarnian
Great picture Derek.

Spaniard I'm holding your green carbon gun as I thought a bit of extra colour might help, although the tutu is my own.

Chris you'd be a million times more at risk from your own floatline at night :naughty than you would be from a shark. Glad to hear you enjoyed your night dive and welcome to the club.

On Sunday me and mate John did 5 tanks for flatties out in the boat and managed one plaice, one sole and five scallops. £50 grand boat, £5 grands worth of diving gear, £50 expenses for the day, 12 hours of work - that plaice better taste good - yeh! like ashes in my mouth. Tell me about it :head . I enjoyed it really.

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: spicer
Any idea on the viz today? Was out west yesterday and bumped into SpeedySpigola and Ed but viz was so poor it was not worthwhile.

Rumour has it that Marco only managed a 7.5lb and a 4lb bass down west this morning. Apparently he took his short gun as "Zee viz is not soo good". Like everyone was out surfing. That boy is crazy and a very very good spearo. Some talk of a seal as well. Not he is one, he saw one.

Dave

Reactions: foxfish
I spoke to an excited Marco a few hours ago & it was not his 71/2lb bass that had him going but a very large male seal that he had met in bad vis. I am not sure if it the same one that some of us met last year, if it is he has grown!
As regards the vis, Marco recommends you dive deeper & take a short gun!!

Anybody have any details for the wheels on that rib?? I know just the spot where a setup like that can come in very handy...
Thanx to any whos in the know :)

Mate that rib has an on-board power source (small 4 stroke motor) that independently drives the wheels. It is capable of launching its self from beaches or piers & can travel about 4mph on land. I have read a test review in a angling mag but cant remember the manufacturer's name. I think it is a New Zealand creation but might be South Africa. The guy who owns that one has the local agency so I could find out for you?

Thanks for all your good wishes.

The rib belongs to my best mate Roger Martel 07781152624

Its made by sealegs in NZ aluminium hull gives a great ride. contact him for more info.

Andy

Excellent wedding (never thought I'd say that)! Congratulations Andy. (Nice picture Derekrofl).

I had a tentative arrangement to meet up with Marco for a west coast dive last night. I kept looking out for him but after a while assumed that he could not make it. I had a great dive and was blessed with a 6lb bass and a smaller one. It was the first time that I also saw a whole shoal of schoolies of around 2lbs – there were about twenty of them and it was great to see them swim right up to me for a closer peek. Picture of bass to follow.

After my long swim and walk back to the car I noticed Marco emerging from the sea. I went down to greet him and he had a similar combo of bass to what I had. He was very excited about the seal and pleased that I had told him about my dive spot which he really enjoyed. We (Marco and I) are looking to have a west coast night dive on Thursday – any advice?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT