• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Woohoo

Arriving on the ferry tommorrow:)

Looking forward to getting in.

If anyone fancies getting in over the next couple of weeks pm me your number.

Mart and Marcel = I'll be giving you a ring if that's ok (and if your numbers are still the same from last summer)?

Adam

Apparently a 182 lb porbeagle was caught "within a mile of the Hanois lighthouse", according to today's paper. A bit close to Speedy Spigola's recent hunting grounds - that might make him even speedier!:)

I was thinking the same, that's the reason I didn't spear anything yesterday and drag it behind me making a trail for them to follow.

The Porbeagle is cousin to both the Mako - that fastest shark in the ocean, and the Great White - the most feared predator in the ocean.

Hi All,

New to spearfishing in Guernsey, and just getting kitted. Where is a good venue for some amateur training?

Singleshot

The sea? Lying on a bed is a good place to practice breathing exercises, no water to drown in!!

Are you a strong swimmer?

Hi All,

New to spearfishing in Guernsey, and just getting kitted. Where is a good venue for some amateur training?

Singleshot
Hi Singeshot, I don't quite understand your question - do you mean spearfishing, breath hold, swimming?

Same question, do you want to know spots to try or what else? You seem to have the knowledge if you have done scuba before

Hi Guys... ref british records, all you need to is go the bsa website get a records form. take loads of pics measure it and get it weighed on certified scales.. I did this and l have the record for white bream..
Great bream Marco
Kind regards
Andy

Reactions: Old Man Dave
Hi All,

Singleshot

Singleshot, if it is getting kitted amateur training you should ask the professor of the art - Portinfer aka aquatic shopper who has a wealth of information and great advice re the equipment, although I must say that most of the forum members are pretty adept at acquiring kit at a rate of knots.

If it is actually using the kit then you could beg Foxy to take you out or one of the other more experienced hunters to show you a couple of ropes re stealth techniques. There is plenty of information on the various techniques contained in the forums so search under for instance aspetto and go an try it in the sea. The proof will be on the stringer and you learn by observation and mistakes.

Best of luck and see you in the sea soon!!

Reactions: island_sands
Foxfish. I am ok as far as holding my breath goes and have looked at some of the freediving techniques to improve this. At a basic level, I have not done any spearfishing previously and don't fancy shooting my own feet off - any chance I could meet up with you at some point and get my gun rigged and pick your brains on a few points and places?

Single you can pop around to mine on sat sometime for a chat & I can help you with your gun. I am not sure if I am diving this weekend because my boat is still sitting in my garden waiting attention. Marco has put up his number a few post back if you want to test your breath hold!? (& courage) if not I can help you in the water sometime soon.

Reactions: Mr. X
I am browsing for a short gun and have an affinity for wooden guns. Have you guys ever seen the below?

Classic Spearguns from Spearfishing Specialties
Hi Spicer, I took a look into Australian Sea Hornet spearguns when I was just getting started. I should think they do the job but some of the reports on them were a little off-putting to me. You might want to ask some of the Oz spearos for more recent info. I believe there is a US company that imports & modifies them, A.B. Billing. Might be worth looking at those too if you like them. There is another company which makes spearguns along similar lines, JBL I think. They seem to have a loyal following in the USA - quite powerful. You often see them on ebay.com. I vaguely recall that there are some common modifications that folk make to them (maybe a pin in the muzzle to keep the spearline in place?). I believe the spear is attached to a ring that slides along the spear (I think Foxfish may have rigged one of his guns like that?) - which some folk don't like.

Reactions: spicer and foxfish
Had a nice night dive yesterday. Just me and Ed. The final tally wasn't too much but a few nice red mullet will provide the odd meal this week.

Lots and lots to see at the moment though and the sea is warm and clear. Dozens of cuttlefish about, plus the usual pout, red mullet, wrasse, bass, etc. Saw a couple of plaice and although one just squeezed in to legal size it was left to grow along with a similar size sole. Loads of tiddly sole but the flats still seem to be few and far between. Well size ones anyway. Quite a few small ray seen which included the 3 common species; blonde, undulate and smalleyed. Ed found a smalleyed that might have been 5lb swimming around in only 5 foot or so. Neither of us was interested in ray or cuttles although plenty of people eat both.

I had a perfect shot lined up on a medium bass when Ed accidentally spooked it. Well that was his story anyway. In the end we could/should have had some bass but well we'd pigged out on the reds so - next time.

Graet dive with good company. I'd almost forgotten about the pleasures of buddy diving but with the right buddy especially at night it can enhance the dive.

If you haven't night dived yet you should try it.

Dave

I am giving a night dive some thought and have a torch now, just waiting for the nights to come in a bit more as 'er indoors will get worried if i'm out late.

I know what you mean ADM - my 'er indoors ( if that makes sense?) worries enough when I go out in the day on my own, even though I'm usually in a few feet of water, and well away from any currents. I do though always let her know where I'm going, and call if it changes, and when I should be back ( 3 hrs. is probably max!) Personally, I found at first even going through a thick patch of dark weed was spooky enough ...

I definitely get that a lot, she does worry especially as I can't have my mobile on so she can't check where I am etc etc. I'm not bothered by weed, it's more not seeing something I need to (like a net, ropes, sharks... etc) that I need to worry about.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT