• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
New World Record on the news this morning.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sietas]Tom Sietas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Super human!
:t :t :t :t :t :t :t :t :t :t

He did 15mins on a TV show, incredible how he could relax enough under those conditions.

Marco and I went out west last night at two hours before low. We saw lots of red mullet, (Marco speared one but it came off in the subsequent weed crawling) some cuttlefish one of which quickly found its way on Marco’s stringer (to no doubt end as a pasta wonder) a few bass which I routinely missed and a few small sole which could not be stretched to the legal limit.

The exploration of a known dive spot at night is to be recommended as you see things from a totally different perspective. By the way Marco was doing some very impressive bottom times so thanks for the warning Foxy.

15 mins is a long time! But I think I might have beaten that time last night!?
Well according to my partner, when I came home from the pub last night, I decided to demonstrate a long breath hold in an attempt to explain my aspetto technique!
So I laid on the bed arms stretched out to represent my gun & started a breath hold. - according to my misses i did not breathe til the morning!
apparently I had a few convulsions first then I dropped my gun & according to her did not breath until she smelt my alcoholic breath at 8 this morning.

Last edited:
15 mins is a long time! But I think I might have beaten that time last night!?
Well according to my partner, when I came home from the pub last night, I decided to demonstrate a long breath hold in an attempt to explain my aspetto technique!
So I laid on the bed arms stretched out to represent my gun & started a breath hold. - according to my misses i did not breathe til the morning!
apparently I had a few convulsions first then I dropped my gun & according to her did not breath until she smelt my alcoholic breath at 8 this morning.
It sounds like perfect relaxation making for long breathhold.

I copyed this from Andys fishing forum
Record Porbeagle from17ft Nab!

Yes you read it correctly! Young lad has boated a porgy of around 290lb by the Hanois yesterday evening. Brought it into the Fishermans co-op this morning for weighing and storage.
He told me 45 minutes to get it to the boat, a ten minute tow backwards to drown it lassoed by the tail and the four nippers on board rolled it aboard.
No not a fishermans story but all very real, how the hell they got it aboard i will never know - it took three of us to drag it into the chiller!!!.
Anyway the lads name was Jim something i think, smashing lad who will never forget the experience no doubt and fair play, i last spoke to him about 1 'o' clock and although his arm was still dropping off he was planning to go again today.

That is two from the same area, one of Marco's favorites!
Well done for the lad but personly I would of been happy with a few photos, just hope he doesn't kill anymore.

Nice one Martin! Anyone see Jaws 3 last night?:)

I went in at the Knife before the low yesterday, and conditions were what I would have thought were perfect. I saw nothing except 2 small schoolie bass in the shallows.:confused: To make things worse, I suddenly realised I had lost a fin in the weed - it must have come loose. :vangry Ever tried going back exactly the same way you've been? So if anyone finds a blue flipper...

Nice one Martin! Anyone see Jaws 3 last night?:)

Ever tried going back exactly the same way you've been? So if anyone finds a blue flipper...

Is that some kind of Dolphin? :t
Never mind Col good excuse to get some nice new see through ones.

Went for a night dive with Ed and Draenog who's over on his annual hols. Draenog (Adam) had his Fuji digi camera and housing and that was in part the focus of the dive. He wanted to see his first ray plus other sea life.

In the end we saw masses of everything. Adam took stills of red mullet, grey mullet, plaice, sole, pout, cuttles, squid and that first ray, etc, etc, etc. He also took some great video. Hopefully he'll post pic's and links when he can.

Catch wise, there were loads of just size of just too small fish especially reds but we just took the one big sole we found, about 2.5+lb.

I took my red laser which doesn't work underwater at all in daylight and guess what? Well you'd be wrong as I was 'cause it works at night. Very cool effect, you can see the beam through the water as well. Not much use but good fun.

Great dive.

Dave

Went out with Jeffers (who's posted here once) on Saturday mid to high tide for over three hours in like Sarnian says, what we thought to be perfect fishy conditions. didn't see anything for a long time except the odd wrasse so we swam across to our hightide spot and saw a few bass which were easily spooked and mullet, mostly swimming around open sandy patches so it was tricky to get close. one mullet swam up to me and my 'ninja-like' reflexes kicked in before it had time to turn away. didn't even pause to aim and a hit it with a near perfect shot. Jeffers then shot one almost exactly the same size about a minute later and a bigger one later on in the dive. Three fish between the two of us in over three hours... oh dear. :)

I wasn't overly fussed about mullet as i wasn't so keen on the last one i had but the missus was out for tea and this one was plenty big enough for one.

On preparing it, i couldn't help but notice it didn't have warts on a big fat lip... on fact, quite a skinny lip plus it tasted so good i wondered whether it was a GG? if not, then great it's restored my faith in eating mullet.

I'll attach the pics as soon as i can figure out how :head

To prepare it, i removed the red meat under the lateral line, scored some deep cuts down it salt and peppered them and gave them a good helping of of guernsey butter. Made up a mush of parsley, garlic, a red chilli, spring onion, all chopped up and another (un)healthy amount of butter, stuck in the cavity, wrapped in foil (had to remove the tail first or it wouldn't fit) and stuck it on the BBQ for 20 mins.

A bit too long on the BBQ unfortunalty, it was a tiny bit dry but other than that it tased fantastic!!! a million times better than the one i shot last week. I'll defiantly cook one in that way again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Can't see any pics, was it slimy? GG's have a coating of slime that thicklips don't.

Click on the "post reply" button then scroll down to the button that says "manage attachements". When the pop-up box pops up click on browse and locate your picture, ok, then click on "upload". Wait........ When its done you should return to the message and it should show up as a link below the text box you can type in.

Usual problem is the pics are too big. You need to post small pics by downsizing them. You might need to load them into another program to do this. Think max size is 50 MB and 1024 x 1024 max pixels.

Don't ask me I'm not too much or an IT nerd, I leave that job to Maggers and Ed.:t

Dave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT